WARNING: Low space error? Please advise.

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Cinemastique, Jun 5, 2009.

Jun 5, 2009
  1. Cinemastique
    OP

Newcomer Cinemastique Member

United States
    Hey, all. I'm an old hand at emulation, but BRAND NEW to the world of DS and CyloDS!

I did a forum search, and didn't fing this topic being covered. I've been loading up my new CyloDS (Transcend Class 6 8GB card), and with 3.6 gigs of stuff on the card, I'm getting a "WARNING: You are running out of space on your MicroSD Card, etc." message on startup. It says I have 2 mb left. That doesn't make sense.

So far, I've tried backing everything up, formatting the card, updating the firmware (again), then putting everything back on. It still gives me the error, but now it shows 3mb of free space instead of 2.

CyloDS supports cards up to 32 gigs, and I have over 4 gigs left on this card... what gives?

Any help is appreciated!

Ken

2. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Hmmm... strange, I've never had that problem, but I've only had my Cyclo for 1 or 2 months.
    Anyway, you should contact Team Cyclops about it, or when the forums are online again, post on them.
    I guess neither of those options are possible, so the best thing would be to wait until the forums are online again.

3. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    I remember hearing about a bug that the Cyclo tells you you have low space even though you don't, but I thought they already fixed it. Do you have the latest fireware installed?

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    To clarify, the latest firmware is currently 1.55 beta 2. You can see what firmware you are running on your cart in the bottom left of the touchscreen when sitting at the Cyclo's start menu.

5. Cinemastique
    OP

United States
    I flashed it up to 1.55B2 last night; the error persists. The cart still works fine; creates save files and suck, even RTS files, which there "isn't enough space for." The warning is irritating, though.

I know it's no big deal (I can just hit 'A'), but y'all know how it is; we like these things to be like hot rods; slick and flashy and running smooth!

6. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I did had this problem before; which format is the MicroSD card? Is it like 'FAT32' format or just the regular format kind?

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    On an 8gig card, you can only choose FAT32.

Maybe try formatting it with the Panasonic formatter and use "FULL Erase On" in the options.

You can get the Panasonic format tool here:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html

Just for reference, does the SD work normally otherwise? I mean, does it pop into the enhanced menu from games ok? Can you boot Mortal Kombat more than once? When formatted, what total size does it report? Mine says 7.46GB.

I know those are kinda odd questions, but I also have a Transcend Class 6 8gig and it was flaky as hell in the CycloDS for whatever reason. The problems listed above are what I had when I tried to use it in my CycloDS. I have since went back to my Transcend class 4 8gig because of all those problems, the Class 4 works fine, but not that Class 6. The Class 6 is currently working fine in my cell phone, but it HATED the CycloDS....or the CycloDS hated it, whichever, I'm not sure.

There's a distinct possibility that that particular Class 6 will never work correctly for you in the CycloDS. This was an issue that was discussed on the Team Cyclops forums before (which are down right now, of course) with no real answer as to why it happens. One person who had the same SD said it worked fine for them, but he had a 7.60GB formatted size and suggested that maybe the difference in total formatted size is the problem.

Just some stuff to look into anyway.

8. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Either sounds like your 8gb is a fake, really a 4gb, or need to reformat your card mate.

And i don't think its the speed. My class 6 4gb works fine. But it might be that particular class 6 8gb possibly.

9. Cinemastique
    OP

United States
    Well, I don't think it's a fake; plugged into the reader, Windows displays a capacity of 7.45 gigs (Kind of a sloppy format, at .55GB).

Everything else so far works smoothly.

10. Cavedude

Member Cavedude GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not sure, other than attempt to reformat it mate.

11. Cinemastique
    OP

United States
    Thanks to everyone who offered support. The issue is resolved. Know what fixed it? Of all things, I just loaded the card with MORE than 4 gigs of data. The message no longer appears.

So, apparently, there's a glitch which will read some (read: my) 8GB cards as 4GB cards, until you kinda... prove it, I guess, by loading over 4 gigs onto it. Go figure.

Nice to have it resolved; thanks again to all who offered suggestions!

12. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Could also be too many files in the root folder!

most people with large cards group the games into folders that are categorized to avoid this card full problem [​IMG]

13. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sounds like a CycloDS code issue where the SDHC is being recognized as a SD standard until you break the 4gb ceiling.