Want to learn programming

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by HaniKazmi, Mar 15, 2009.

Mar 15, 2009

Want to learn programming by HaniKazmi at 6:00 PM (1,052 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. HaniKazmi
    OP

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I want to learn, but have no past experiences [​IMG] Three things I would like to know:

1.WHat language should i start with. I was thinking C++, but I've heard its harder than others.
    2. Can you recommend me any tutorials?
    3.What editor and compiler should I use?

Thanks in advance.

2. Teh Great Michea

Banned Teh Great Michea Banned

United States
    For a TRUE BEGINNER learn programming in the following orders. This also includes web development.

HTML>Visual Basic/C#>C>PHP>ASP.NET>C++

Just what i think........... Visual Basic and C# are .net languages and are easy to learn. Its GUI Programming which is EXTREMELY EASY!

msdn.microsoft.com for compilers and tutorials. Learn these languages, Learn C and then you might be ready to help hack in the next console scene.

3. Cjuub

Member Cjuub GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I wouldn't go through the trouble of learning all those crappy languages like Visual Basic.
    C++ isn't THAT hard, just find a good beginners book (C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) is one I could recommend).
    It will guide you through everything step by step and in an understandable language, even for someone who haven't even touched a computer before.

Programming is mainly about logical thinking. It might be a little moonspeakish in the beginning, but as your skills improve you're going to be able to read code as well as you read a childrens book in your own language.

Another reason for not starting with different languages is that your going to make bad habits that only work in one language, and you're going to have to relearn a bunch of info as you go on to the next language. Which often isn't as easy as learning it directly.

I definitely recommend C++ as a main language. However, Java is quite a useful and beginnerfriendly language as well, and very similar to C++.

4. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    I wouldn't consider HTML, its a bit easy
    Java and C# are similar I think, but object-orinteated.

What you want to do will change what you're going to learn, so what do you plan to do with the programming?

5. Rabbi Nevins

Member Rabbi Nevins GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what i did..and what i suggest doing. is starting with java then going to c++. they are VERY similair.

i see no point in learning other variations of C. HTML hasnt served me any advantages in programming..its too different/easy then java and c++

java is not that difficult to learn..just use youtube/a library.

i suggest using "TextPad" for java and "Borland C++" for C++. MOST people will disagree and say use something like eclipse. but for a beginner these are DEFINITELY the simplest ways to start. i tried starting c++ with microsoft visual C++...that was not a smart decision. you will be lost instantly.

I agree with Teh Great Micheal that visual basic and C# are very simple to use and learn due to the GUI...but you will very rarely use these languages. and if you learn java/c++ and then ever DO need to use visual/c# itll take you a matter of days to learn the majority of what you will need. start with one of the languages you will use mainly..then others become WAY easier to learn.

6. HaniKazmi
    OP

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I should have mentioned i already know html, so that isnt a problem.[​IMG]
    I hope to start off learning how to make computer applications, and go to to making games, if that changes anything. I've bbeen searching online, and haven't found any good tutorials yet (either too complicated or badly written), and help there? Reading these replies, I think I'll start with Java or C++ as most people are recomending those two

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    It really depends what you want to do.

C (not ++, # or any other crap) is still one of the most used languages, and a good one to know. it is pretty much a requirement to do any OS or embedded development, but its also used heavily in application development. C++ is just an extension of C to add object oriented programming among other things, so if you learn C you can easily learn C++ later, it is much harder to go the other way around.

Java is also a good language, and shares a rather similar syntax to C. it is the main language used for mobile phone application development too.

8. x-mah-D

Banned x-mah-D Banned

Australia
    Start with vb its fun to see what you can do if your a noob and if you want to take it to a more professional level go for c++ but c++ aint so easy
    Start with tutorials
    like making a webbrowser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM50BEPpuiM
    a music player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C_HMYyGyK4

Text editor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBImWzYARUU part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO_9SFpvHPw...feature=related part 2

once you get the basics of remember the codes you will pick it up and think how programs work and try it out your own codes
    If you want to test it and see if you would like to pick up the skill
    make a program that opens a .exe
    make a button on your form
    double click it and go into the code
    type
    shell "c:\program files\whatever\pwn.exe
    you can set your own programs to open thats a eg.
    Start small and get big, once you've got the understand codes etc mabey set up to c# if you have been on vb for a long enough like 6-12 months, because programing wont come easy to some people so it may vary to how much you can remember
    i've only just started c# after being on vb since like middle of last year so it all comes down to you

9. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    My first introuction to programming was vb and it was pretty simple and easy to pick up. However you don't gain much understanding due to how the gui does everything for you. Java is good for beginners. For java I recommend using bluejay or netbeans as a compiler.

http://www.bluej.org/

http://www.netbeans.org/

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    First thing is to figure out if you're the kind of person who finds it easier to learn from a book or an online tutorial. Some people find books easier to flick through if you need to keep re-reading bits from earlier. Get a book out of your local library (they'll have plenty), give it a go and see which way works best for you.

And don't skip the wordy chapters at the front and go straight for the code; I know it's tempting but as a beginner the stuff in those introductions is actually kind of important [​IMG]

A couple of online tutorials:
    Softlookup Online C++ tutorial
    Eddie's basic guide to C programming

And a C++ library reference guide (save the link for later, no beginner tutorials here but this list might come in handy later on.)

11. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    my first experience of programming was VB, and I still have not got out of some of the bad habits it taught me...