Feedback Misc WAD/Wiiware games black screen when loading

fotomihalos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Maybe this has been discussed before but I face a very annoying problem for which I cannot find any solution. I softmodded my wii about a year ago with letterbomb and I have limited experience with modding but I can work my way through basic homebrew applications.
It seems that some wads (the majority probably) refuse to run although they install without a problem. When I try to load them I get a black screen (no sound neither) and the wiimote disconnects (In a couple of titles, the blue led on the wiimote stays lit but the black screen remains nonetheless). I have to power off and on again. In some titles, while the screen is black, I get the blue led of the disc unit flashing and in others not. I have tried installing the wads in the system NAND and in emuNAND (on the SD card, created with USBloadergx). I have tried loading from the emuNAND using game IOS 249 and IOS 250 (Game Load menu in USBloadergx) with no success. The games that won't load from the system NAND won't load from the emuNAND neither and vice versa, those that do load from the emuNAND will load from the system NAND as well. For the system NAND I have tried different homebrew (YAWMM, WADmanager) with the same results. I have tried different region versions of the same WADS (e.g. Jett rocket US & E, Final Fantasy IV US & E, Bit Trip US&E, World of Goo US&E, Tetris Party US&E) with no success. Examples of working wads are "Super Mario bros 25th ann.", "Super Mario 64", "Lostwinds". My console is Europe (4.3E) and I install and run other US versions (like Contra Rebirth) or European versions without a problem (Through Priiloader I have "Region Free Everything" "Region Free Wii Games" and "Region Free Channels"). I have also installed v10 beta52 d2x-v10-beta52 according to wiiguide instructions, to no avail. I attach the syscheck report. Please advice!

Attachments

• sysCheck.7z
    878 bytes · Views: 65
Last edited by fotomihalos,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

your syscheck report is correct.

I advise you to install the Wads of the same version as your wii, otherwise you risk making mistakes.

have a Nand backup of your wii (just in case).

fotomihalos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello,

your syscheck report is correct.

I advise you to install the Wads of the same version as your wii, otherwise you risk making mistakes.

have a Nand backup of your wii (just in case).
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried the wads that match my European region but they do not work. I just report the failure with U & E versions in hope it helps with the troubleshooting. I have made a backup of my NAND using Bootmii (I cannot install bootmii on boot2 though, although my console is one of the old ones, with GC controller slots).

Any ideas what could be wrong with the wads that won't load?

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi ,

I have a some issue... did you find any solution ??

I also used "freethewad" app but nothing help...... :(
Hi! Post a syscheck here.
These wads are installed on the Wii/sd or a usb?
Are you launching these installed wad titles from the home menu or a game loader like usbloadergx or Wiiflow?
Are these wads for the same region as your console?

Reactions: jeannotte

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you launching these installed wad titles from the home menu or a game loader like usbloadergx or Wiiflow?
Btw, I would suggest using this modded version of usbloadergx by @blackb0x. Just remove the old usbloadergx files from the apps folder and replace them with the ones from the link. And launch USBLoaderGX from the Homebrew Channel not the forwarder (for now).
I would suggest testing just with PAL wads for now because they should work with your system. Install 1 WiiWare & 1 VC title, both PAL releases, launch them from usbloadergx, make sure you have video settings there set to system. And in the Wii's settings video settings are set to 480i (60hz).
Hello, nope, no solution
Also, what video cable and tv are you using?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if this is the vwii, you need to reinstall your cios with the latest version. the latest version has the new fat library which allows wiiware and vc games to run if ustealth'd.

fotomihalos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Btw, I would suggest using this modded version of usbloadergx by @blackb0x. Just remove the old usbloadergx files from the apps folder and replace them with the ones from the link. And launch USBLoaderGX from the Homebrew Channel not the forwarder (for now).
I would suggest testing just with PAL wads for now because they should work with your system. Install 1 WiiWare & 1 VC title, both PAL releases, launch them from usbloadergx, make sure you have video settings there set to system. And in the Wii's settings video settings are set to 480i (60hz).

Also, what video cable and tv are you using?
@CoolMe, do you suggest that the first part of your reply could work for my kind of issue? I will give it a try...

I am using a wii2HDMI adapter (HDMI cable of course but I don't know its exact technical specifications) and a Samsun smart tv. Would the specific model of the TV make a difference? I will check it when I get back home.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Post a syscheck here.
Are these wads for the same region as your console?
This^^👆
@CoolMe, do you suggest that the first part of your reply could work for my kind of issue? I will give it a try...
If you're having the same kind of issues as the other then yes..
I am using a wii2HDMI adapter (HDMI cable of course but I don't know its exact technical specifications) and a Samsun smart tv. Would the specific model of the TV make a difference? I will check it when I get back home.
That's fine, that's all i needed to know.

fotomihalos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you're having the same kind of issues as the other then yes..
It's just that I don't have the problem with usbloadergx only but also with the sysNAND and the Wads that don't load through usbloader(emuNand) do not load through sysnand (channel) neither. I will try with your usbloader suggestion though and will let you know.

fotomihalos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@CoolMe, thank you so much for the tip! Lot's of feedback here.
Ok, so I tried the modded version of usbloadergx (gx) and it seems that for the wiiware games it works (I have tried both PAL and US regions Wads)! I don't know whether it is the modded version itself or the fact that I erased the previous emuNAND and created a new one with the modded version. I have not checked the video settings, I just left them like they were before.

All the Wads I have tried thus far load correctly (10 Wads) with only one exception (read below). I have tried lots of combinations for installation and loading (i.e. installing the Wads in emuNAND after launching gx through the forwarder or installing the Wads after launching gx through the HBchannel and then loading the Wads after launching the gx either from the forwarder or from HBchannel). It seems that it doesn't matter how you have launched gx for installing the Wads BUT for launching them I have only one Wad that doesn't load if I launch gx through HBchannel but it loads just fine if I launch gx through the forwarder (Strange, but small problem anyway).
Moreover, a couple of Wads that wouldn't load after installing in the sysNAND, now they do load! Also, a Wad that wouldn't load from the emuNAND when launching gx through the forwarder, loads now AFTER first installing it in the sysNAND. So I guess there is an interplay between the sysNAND and the emuNAND??

For the VC games though I had no luck. I tried two (PAL) of them both emuNAND with the modded gx and sysNAND with WADmanager and they won't load. I will try the video settings with these.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess there is an interplay between the sysNAND and the emuNAND?
Not all WiiWare games can be played with Emunand. There's a compatibility list somewhere you can see which WiiWare games work and which don't..
On the other hand, all should work when installed to sysnand (not sd), though there's only so much you can install on the Wii's nand.
And for the installed WiiWare titles that're copied to the sd, they can't be launched from usbloadergx, which is a necessity if they're out-of-region. In-region WiiWare titles should work when booted from the sd from the Wii's home menu..
I will try the video settings with these.
Set video output to (pal 60) for those pal vc games. Even though they're slow and based on the original 50hz pal releases.. I would suggest using the ntsc releases, and changing the video settings to ntsc (60hz).

Reactions: jeannotte

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have an European Wii too and I have faced the exact same problem. I recommend dumping your Nand with Usb loader gx or Wiiflow lite and then install the wads you like via showmiiwads. Make sure to change the paths in your loader for it to be able to recognize your emunand. Now change your settings to full emulation and try to start any wad. If you still feel unsatisfied, I recommend using Dolphin.

aidn0828

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I have the same problem as fotomihalos and all the wads work well when installed as channels through yawmm including pal ones as well.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I have the same problem as fotomihalos and all the wads work well when installed as channels through yawmm including pal ones as well.
Then that is not the same problem (as OP was not able to run the games by any means) and you should probably make a new thread for it, and include more details.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"