OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well hi there,
I have a little problem with my W-Lan i think,
I know its not as fast as a Cable connection but this is a joke -.-

Beginning of this month i have upgraded my connection to 64MBits and i had to read that my router could not handle the speed ( at least if I understood correctly )
Well than i have bougth a new one that said it was able to do W-lan with 300Mbits at max thinking it would be sufficient for my 64Mbit.
Weirdly enough now that the new Router ( TP-Link TL-WR841N ) is installed my W-lan is even slower than before :(

I am only about 2~3 meter away from the Router and i have maximum signal strength but when i open videos on youtube or other sites it takes sooooooooo damn long it hardly loads at all,
while my download is about 800kb/s higher than before when i had the 16Mbit one (2MB/s which is still to slow)

Any ideas what could cause this ?

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
is your pc capable of recieving the WiFi-N signal? (and is it fast enough, you've got slower ones aswell.)

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well my Pc itselfs should be fast enough, but no idea about the internal w-lan reciever ...

still weirdly enough with the "slower" router it was actually faster most of the time ... even when donwnloading i notice very big spikes from some kb/s to 2MB/s

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what are you using?
Torrent speed depends on the peers.
Speedtest.net is a tad more accurate (if you chose the right server).

Some ISP's also have a test file you can download, mostley 1GB of junk data. But it's a good place to start, only problem, you need to clock it yourself and do the math.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well speedtest says 2MB down and 800kb up on my w-lan while on my fathers pc with cable it switches betweend 16MB and 10 all the time -.- and upload the same as for me ...

and well yeah mostly compare with "good" torrents and or premium accounts on filesharing pages.

still even thaught the test says 2mb sometimes pages load very long until i reload because of some slowdowns and videos allways load slowmotion.
Even shut off the internal firewall of the router but that didn't help that much

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you're using a laptop right?
Try to find out if it supports WiFi-N, and at which speed.

Mine for instance supports WiFi-N, but I don't think at the max speed.
But my internet is limited aswell.

Also, remember there's a difference between MB and Mb.
My internet is about 16.7 MB/s, which translated to 2Mb/s (if I'm correct)
It's quick enough for my needs atm. And if my family members use a lot of internet bandwith aswell, I just get on my desktop, which has the quickest LAN connection, so it overrules them ;p

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope a tower with a build in W-lan reciever.

I just went into the Hardwaremanager and looked at the settings as it said something about 800-n and it was set to something about N "disabled" oO
enabled it and still need to try if its any faster, still that wouldn't change the slowmotion connection on my iphone :P well hope at least for my computer it is faster now will try it out now

Well the speedtest still says it sucks
14.030 kBits down (bad) 1 min later 15.655 kBits (still bad XD) another min later 10.756 kBit .... oO
5.178 kBits up (good)

at least vids do load up a little bit faster now after activating all the options that were disabled before.
Still weird as the Router says it can do more oO

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My drivers gave me issue's once, the newer Bluetooth driver made it impossible to transfer data to my phone on commando. wiped it and put back the old one's. That made it work again.
You could try older drivers, or newer one's.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Also, remember there's a difference between MB and Mb.
My internet is about 16.7 MB/s, which translated to 2Mb/s (if I'm correct)
You got it backwards. Your internet is 16.7Mb/s, which translates to around 2MB/s. There are 8 Megabits (Mb) in a Megabyte (MB).

If you're getting a bad speed where as your father's PC is getting a good speed, then the issue is usually your connection. Whatever you are using to connect (WiFi) is giving problems where as whatever your father is using to connect is fine. The solution is then to try and replace your connection (WiFi adaptor). You can do this either by putting a new WiFi adaptor in your tower, replacing the existing aerial in the WiFi adaptor with a higher gain aerial (preferably one that can be relocated to the top of the tower rather than the back), or getting a USB WiFi adaptor and connecting with that instead.

If you're only 2-3 metres away from the router, why not use a cable?

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
:O just remembered something.
My house has a reinforced concrete wall (steel), I used to have a mini adapter, which was fine.
One day I moved my pc 20 cm and the connection was fucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)