vWii theory

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by greenlanternx, Apr 3, 2016.

1. greenlanternx
    OP

greenlanternx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Chile
    Wii U eShop has wii games, those games are installed in the internal (or external) HDD
    1.) so that's means vWii can read data from "Wii U file system" -- some ios must have that code and opens the possibility to program some pc(windows,linux) backup tool
    2.) if the Wii U OS is stored in the internal HDD instead some chip, that's means the firmware can be dumped from the vWii (in the best of the cases, some code could be injected ....)

what do you think?

2. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    i think no. the vwii does in no way shape or form have access to the whole wii u memory

KiiWii likes this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Sorry, as much as I wish that was the case, it's not. The vWii actually has it's own dedicated NAND chip that it reads from once Cafe2Wii has been executed

Edit: See @Marionumber1's explanation, I misread the OP

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, Apr 4, 2016
    epicmartin7 likes this.
  4. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    Well vwii is part of the wii u so that is why it can pull the game from the hdd.
    It's IOS that is preventing full access to all hardware.
    In easy to understand terms vwii runs on wii u as if it's a game disc. It is locked to the confinements of its programming. One could probably re-do vwii and allow more access if they know what needs to be programmed and already have access to IOS and Cafe. But if you already have that access then why would you need to do that in the first place?
    Getting vwii to have access would be very similar to getting black ops 2 game to load black ops 3.....

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. greenlanternx
    OP

greenlanternx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Chile
    I'm talking about "wii backup manager" or "wii backup fusion" or "wbfs manager" for the wii u file system in PC, if someone knows which ios has that access, can dump it, reverse engineer it and make a tool like those
    I don't understand your analogy

6. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    If I got you right you want some tool to move Wii U games form PC to external HDD with Wii U filesystem so the Wii U thinks it's a game that you bought in the eShop and moved it to external memory. That won't work as they are decrypted.

7. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States
    Yes, it's quite likely that the Wii VC games do run in a modified vWii mode with access to the Wii U eMMC. It's not likely that the entire contents of the game could be loaded into RAM before launching the game, due to space and time constraints. Thus, it's likely loaded at runtime from the Wii U FS. This would mean that the games use some modified IOS that can parse the eMMC (and has access to necessary keys).

8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Since many games are far bigger than Wii Us RAM I don't think they're getting loaded into their.

9. kostas sfirakis

kostas sfirakis GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2015
    Greece
    crete
    I am not a developer but I guess if vwii has the whole wiiu's storage access then it is possible if we find a way to install custom stuff on it and etc, but I think it doesn't have the access.