VWii NAND dump question..

Vuice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there. I am just here to ask, is there an existing homebrew app that allows you to dump a NAND onto a USB drive instead of an SD card? I’m afraid I won’t have enough space on my SD card for it (Literally using a 2GB SD card, was planning on storing everything big on my 30GB USB drive). My SD card reader is arriving Wednesday this week, just needing to know if I need to get a bigger SD card along with it, I would strongly prefer if I didn’t need to.

-------------------------
UPDATE 11/10/2021 4:23 PM EST

Issue resolved for those looking at this for answers too.
The answer is no, you cannot use a USB drive to dump a vWii NAND.
However, for those with sub-8GB SD cards you can just deselect MLC if you dont need game saves for the NAND dump. If you want your vWii game saves still but dont have a big enough SD card for an MLC dump, you can simply copy all of your save files by doing this:
(Make sure your SD card is empty and all homebrew files previously on your SD card have been backed up onto your PC.)
Boot onto your vWii System menu, click on settings, then click on Save Data Management. Insert your SD card if you havent already. Click on all of the game saves you want to back, and click "copy" for each one until you have pressed copy for all of them. Next, Turn off your console. Take your SD card out, put it in your computer, then copy "private" and all of its contents from the root of your SD card onto your computer. After all that is done, free up SD card space by selecting the "private" folder on the root of your SD card and deleting it. And you are done, your game saves have been copied!

For some reason, the MLC file is very big, but your game save files should be significantly less, so dont worry about large file sizes. After all it is done, you should be able to back your vWii by simply selecting SLCCMPT and OTP on the nand dumper for the Homebrew Launcher on your Wii U.

Last edited by Vuice,

Aryamanee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I looked over the internet for a bit and can't seem to find one. You should get an SD bigger than 2gb for Wii u modding anyways, it let's you do more stuff like installing backups of your discs. Maybe someone else knows of some homebrew but I would get a bigger SD either way.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mlc can be dumped later if you want. plus, it has nothing to do with the vwii afaik. it dumps the entire thing, including free space, when I decrypted my mlc, it was around 1GB with one game installed. it contains things like home menu, browser, etc.

Vuice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the vwii nand is only 528MBs, same as the wii u nand.
Ah, I heard somewhere that it could be way bigger on certain models. Guessing that was misinfo. I guess I could dump the NAND anyway if its that small of file size, so thanks. I have more than enough storage for this.
I looked over the internet for a bit and can't seem to find one. You should get an SD bigger than 2gb for Wii u modding anyways, it let's you do more stuff like installing backups of your discs. Maybe someone else knows of some homebrew but I would get a bigger SD either way.
I was planning on installing game backups and such on my USB drive which is 30 gigs (all the games I own arent that big in file size).

I’m just planning on "un-homebrewing" my VWii to re-experience homebrewing it, dont have to with my Wii U, Im using mocha anyway, so no CFW is permanent. Need a NAND backup just incase VWii decaffeinator breaks stuff.

Thanks for the answers guys. When Wednesday (Eastern Time) hits, I’m gonna have my SD card reader, if you’ve got any warnings, let me know before then.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the mlc isn't even necessary unless something were to happen to one of its apps. a cbhc brick is the slc, and the vwii is the slcmpt. the nand dumper allows you to dump what you want, so you can skip the mlc for now. it's even off by default. the most important file is the otp.bin, because it will allow you to decrypt the slc, mlc, and slcmpt. it's also used with the seeprom for decrypting an hdd attached to the wii u.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that gave me an idea: to extract everything from my dumps:

mlc:
1636569668871.png

slc:
1636569693736.png

slcmpt:
1636569725987.png

Granit89m

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi,

this is the last hope i have after mw Wii U dosnr show up any sign on my TV and the Gamepad doesnt connect to the Wii U.

First of all i am a fully beginner regarding the Wii U and the pictures im viewing what you did here.

Second sorry my bad english, i learned that from by myself...

But i managed to open the Wii U Console completly without any damage.

Now my question is, which wires material and stuff i have to bye to get the same result like you did and how you connect the SD Card like this.

Is it possible to help me out in PM to avoid stalking here the forum that i dont want for sure.

I just want to get the Wii U back in life and that my kids can enjoy having fun again.

The Wii U started an Systel Update, at 71% it stucks for more than 2 hours, i tried to break the internet in hope it shows up any error Message, it dosnt, so there for i shuted the Cinsole of by the power button.

by turning it on again there was no more picture on tv and the gamepad do not connect.

I would be more than thankfully if someone can teach me the required steps.

thx a lot to you all!

Kind Regards from Austria

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1