vWii- HDD shuts down WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by tomcat46, May 19, 2017.

1. tomcat46
    OP

tomcat46 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    United States
    Hey all,
    When usb loader gx initialize my new hard disk on usb loader gx my entire WiiU hard resets. I have been searching around for a couple of weeks and I have made zero progress. At this point I am getting no more help from google. Im posting my syscheck results here because i am pretty sure i messed up my cios's in an attempt to get black ops to work (stupid I know).

I have cleaned the hard disk with diskpart, formatted to fat32 and set active with EaseUS, then formatted again to fat32 and transferred games with wii backup manager. I have gotten usb sticks to work but the hdd will not. One time I got the hdd to initialize and the games played but the system turned off after i played them for a minute. Now it simply does not initialize or turns off. It is a 2.5" connected by a SATA to y-usb (I have tried 2 different y-cables). I am really at my wits end here so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    is there no 256 on vwii?

3. tomcat46
    OP

tomcat46 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    United States
    Nope, I followed the "Definitive vWii hacking guide" and installed ios 236

4. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    what kind of hdd do you have? is it compatible?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

also black opps works with 251

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The best tool to use for formatting anything for the wii/vwii is wiibackupmanager.exe
    They have a tool that formats to fat32 or wbfs, just be careful what drive is selected before you format.

5. tomcat46
    OP

tomcat46 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    United States
    It is a standard Western digital hard drive formatted with Wii backup manager

6. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    that's what i have on my wii, If you think it is by chance an ios issue you could try to install the ios's again, you know, 249 - 251 and see if that helps.

7. mikexd

mikexd Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2009
    Spain
    Pretty sure is a compatibility problem with the HDD. Unfortunately, I can tell based on experience that Wii U is less compatible with USB devices than the old Wii. Try a different hard drive. Use that one for wii u mode and see what happens as well :)

8. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Sounds good, Hope you have luck with it, but iv'e never heard of it shutting the system down before, that is strange.

9. kabaneri

kabaneri Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2016
    Brazil
    Unfortuny tour hdd enter in sleep mode, my too, i enter in a games and he sleep a little time in game, when he nerd loading the “disk” again, came a error you can try split the wbfs in more partes, because he will stay in constant ready or unplug and plug the USB cable when he turn off the light of activity.

(Sorry the english, im not american).

Enviado de meu S480 usando Tapatalk

10. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    I think there is a setting in usbloadergx that allows you to turn off the sleep function of your hard drive, but it has been a long time since i worked on the wii, so i might be wrong.

11. tomcat46
    OP

tomcat46 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2017
    United States
    Wow guys thanks for the advice! I'll look for that setting in usb loader gx and see if it makes a difference. I too am afraid it is drive compatibility however. I'll report back when I get off work.