vWii EmuNAND Guide?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by henn64, Aug 16, 2016.

1. henn64
    OP

henn64 I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    The Great White South
    I haven't seen any guides anywhere, and I won't risk following any Wii instructions and bricking vWii.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    CJB100 likes this.
  3. henn64
    OP

henn64 I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    The Great White South
    Last edited by henn64, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    neek doesn't use cIOS at all.

there are two emuNAND method :
    - cIOS
    - neek

the cIOS method is easier, but doesn't have 100% compatibility. You only need d2x v10 (r52 is fine, don't use r53) and will need to dump your vWii NAND (using usbgx for example) then you can add wads to it and launch them.
    If what you want is mess with the menus (themes, etc.) or playing remaining incompatible games then you need neek method. you can follow the guide posted above.

5. Erxkum

Erxkum Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    I need help with emunand, I'm using cIOS method with USB Loader GX, installed the wads using US Loader on my emunand but when I run any channel installed on the emunand usbloader GX exits and I return to the wii sytem menu and I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

I installed several NTSC-U Wiiware, but now I've read to test it with Cave Story Wiiware channel so that is what I'm doing, I flag every Wiiware I use as PAL using ShowMiiWads, otherwise the game won't work.

Edit: I tried some troubleshooting by deleting my emunand and trying everything again.

1. Installed cave story on my nand and tried the game to see if it was working -> it was.
    2. Launched USB Loader GX and dumped my nand.
    3. Tried to launch Emunand Cave Story -> it worked.
    4. Deleted Cave story from Nand.
    5. Launched USB Loader GX and tried to launch Cave Story from emunand -> I was sent back to Wii System Menu.

So unless I have the game installed on my Nand also I'm sent back to the Wii System Menu, what am I doing wrong?

Syscheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Erxkum, Apr 20, 2017
  6. Erxkum

Erxkum Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    Do you have any experience with this?

7. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Be sure you are using emuNAND channel full, and not partial.
    Partial emuNAND access data on both NAND and EmuNAND.

it's maybe not your issue, but as you said it works as long as you have it installed on NAND, it's the first thing I can think.

8. Erxkum

Erxkum Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    I was already in full but I will try it again, am I missing any ios from the syscheck?

Edit: I just checked and it was nand emulation set to full, I even went to the cave story specific game settings and set the emunand from global to full, same issue.

Edit2: Do you think I should try neek? The process seems complicated and I have little hope that it will be different.

Last edited by Erxkum, Apr 20, 2017
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    neek shouldn't be needed, a lot of games are working with the cIOS mode.

cIOS r53 is problematic, and maybe the redirection is not done correctly?
    Try with r52.

I didn't read if you used USB or SD, try the other device for your EmuNAND path.
    USB is maybe having issues (due to r53) and the game is launched from NAND instead of emuNAND because the console couldn't mount USB?

Using r52 is the second thing you should try. (the first one way to check that you had FULL mode instead of partial)

Erxkum likes this.
  10. Erxkum

Erxkum Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    You are a godsend! How do you manage to mod this forum and also answer to all noobs like me? r52 worked :D

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I almost don't moderate the forum, I also help a LOT less than before.
    Life takes too much of my free time now. (I'm even less present on the forum since my PC broke two month ago, I'm using someone else computer temporarily)

Glad it fixed your issue :)
    Happy gaming

Last edited by Cyan, Apr 21, 2017