Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this modding but been following directions carefully. I followed the Wii U hacks guide and then followed the section on vWii as well as the Difinitive vWii Hacking guide. They mostly overlapped. Looks like both have you patch IOS 56, 57, 58, one has you patch 80, the other has you patch 36. Anyway, no issues installing, I've got a few WAD games installed, USB loader GX, the forwarders for USB loader and homebrew widescreen, a wii game and a gamecube game on a USB drive.

What's happening is, about half the time I exit something to go back to the wii menu, the console completely freezes, black screen, blue light is on, and nothing responds, I have to pull the power cord about of the back. Then, when the system comes back it seems like the USB drive is unhidden and Wii U complains, so I need to shut it off again, put the drive back in my PC and run UStealth again. The other half of the time it goes back to the menu no problem. I haven't figured out a pattern yet.

Can anyone help me out with this? Having to pull the power plug is bad enough, but then having to run UStealth again on the drive is a killer.

Thanks

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Do not unplug your Wii U (you may damage it), just keep pressing "power" for at least 5 seconds, and your Wii U will turn off by itself.

Do not use USB keys with the Wii U, it works badly or not at all (often black screen), prefer an external hard drive and you will have better compatibility with the Wii U.

You can post a syscheck report, to see if your hack is correct ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/syscheck-hacksden-edition.356133/

Reactions: Alexander1970

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Do not unplug your Wii U (you may damage it), just keep pressing "power" for at least 5 seconds, and your Wii U will turn off by itself.

Do not use USB keys with the Wii U, it works badly or not at all (often black screen), prefer an external hard drive and you will have better compatibility with the Wii U.

You can post a syscheck report, to see if your hack is correct ==>

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When this crash happens, pressing the power button does nothing. I've held it for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 50 seconds. Nothing turns it off except pulling the power.

FYI, I've been using a USB key reader with a MicroSDXC card in an unmodded Wii U for months with no issues. I have a second Wii U that I modded, and I'm using two Samsung micro USB flash drives. One for Wii U and one for Wii/Gamecube. I like these drives because you don't need a Y-cable and because of the form factor, I can easily move the Wii U between rooms. While I was working on the Wii U side of it not a single problem, not a single crash. Only now on the vWii side am I having issues. Yesterday I tested loading up the vWii and HBC with the upper USB drive (the one for the Wii) not connected, and it still was crashing on exit. I'll try it again with both USB disconnected.

I will run the syscheck report and post back, thanks!

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline Double_A R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on vIOS58 (rev 6432).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v609)
Drive date: 08.21.2013
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 621451252
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v0
Found 51 titles.
Found 35 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stubs.
vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug NAND Access
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug NAND Access
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): Trucha Bug NAND Access
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches
Report generated on 09/22/2019.

Did I miss something for IOS80 or something else? Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Today I tested loading up the Wii U with no USB drives attached, and I still had the same crashing when exiting anything, not every time but 50%+, like when exiting from wii homebrew channel to main menu, must pull power plug. My SD card is a samsung 128GB SDXC with adapter, if that could have anything to do with it. Not a single problem on the Wii U side with this or with the 256GB Samsung USB stick. But I'm willing to switch out the SD card and drives if this can be the cause. Any other suggestions appreciated I'm really stuck at this point.

OK Let me add this also, I think this may have something to do with the SDCard. I tried a different SDCard (64GB Samsung SDXC) and adapter I had lying around, copied all files to it, I booted up the Wii U/vWii and HBC, it showed no apps installed. So obviously it was not reading this SD Card. So while it was like this I tested exiting from HBC and from some WAD games I had installed and from USB Loader GX (no USB plugged in just loading and exiting) and it didn't crash at all. My next step was swapping Micro SD adapters with the card I had been using, when I did that the 64GB was now seen, all the apps were there in HBC, and as soon as I exited it did the hard crash. So this is telling me (maybe) that something about the SD card is causing a problem when going back to the menu. Interestingly never had an issue first launching the vWii from the Wii U.

What is the current recommendation for SD card? The first guide I followed recommended 64GB minimum if you were going to take a full, full Wii U nand backup, but I think I selected some options and my backup did not take up that much space. Bigger is better from my perspective but not if it's going to cause incompatibility or crashing.

Thanks

Last edited by Mjs6975,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

For the syscheck report ==> OK

For backups of the white Wii U (8GB memory) ==> a 32 GB SD card will suffice and for black Wii U (32GB memory) ==> a 64 GB SD card will suffice.

It is recommended to use a simple SD card (without SD microphones) and not a micro SD card with adapter. For the capacity of your SD card, it's up to you to see what you want to put on it

And use an external hard drive with the Wii U, with a Y-cable preferably for better compatibility.

I think your problem comes from the Samsung 256GB USB stick that is problematic (black screen), not recognized by the Wii.

Last edited by jeannotte,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

For the syscheck report ==> OK

For backups of the white Wii U (8GB memory) ==> a 32 GB SD card will suffice and for black Wii U (32GB memory) ==> a 64 GB SD card will suffice.

It is recommended to use a simple SD card (without SD microphones) and not a micro SD card with adapter. For the capacity of your SD card, it's up to you to see what you want to put on it

And use an external hard drive with the Wii U, with a Y-cable preferably for better compatibility.

I think your problem comes from the Samsung 256GB USB stick that is problematic (black screen), not recognized by the Wii.

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply. Since my vWii was still crashing even with no USB connected, I think it is an issue with the SD card. I am ordering 3 cards (32GB, 64GB, 128GB) from a different vendor to try. I'll report back how it goes.

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK....so as it turns out...the problem is NOT the SDCard. I replaced mine with a 32GB SANDisk, did not fix the problem. And now I just tried again without any SD card connected and it happened again. Same thing, hard freeze on black screen, power button does nothing - must be unplugged. Not every time but every 2nd or 3rd time when exiting any program and returning to main menu. Never once an issue when first loading the vWii.

ANYONE ever hear of anything like this before or have any other suggestions? Could this Wii U just be defective? I am tempted to seek out another Wii U system on ebay to try but that would be a major pain if there is some other kind of explanation....please anyone help if you can! Thanks.

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Are you able to read your games with USB LOADER GX ??

As I said on my previous messages, do not use a USB key, but rather an external hard drive.

Yes I can read the games with USB loader. The USB is not the problem, this happens even with no USB OR SD card connected. I am completely at a loss.

Also note, this does not happen when I load an exit two WAD games I have installed as channels (Mega Man 9 and 10). Only when I launch and exit HBC or apps that I've opened from HBC.

Last edited by Mjs6975,

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok on a hunch from reading someone else's thread about loading issues, I can confirm that this exit crashing does not occur when vWii is set to use TV and Gamepad. Only when TV Only is chosen!

Reactions: 0x3000027E

0x3000027E

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give this a shot. Have the exact same problem as you; glad I stumbled on this thread and a potential fix (I always had selected 'TV Only ' as well).

Mjs6975

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have something else to add, maybe it will be helpful to someone. I upgraded Nintendont and I made a mistake I forgot to rename loader to boot. When I started HBC nintendont wasn’t on the menu, makes sense. So I exited back to Wii menu and it crashed. Booted up again tried again same thing crashed. This is with the vWii being loaded with both TV and pad. Fixed nintendont and it stopped crashing.

One last thing to add, since I started loading vwii with both TV and pad, even when the system does crash it’s not unhiding my u-stealth drive. So that’s a good thing anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person