Review VV's Kingdom Hearts re:coded Review

VentusVanitas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I’m VentusVanitas. Some of you may know me from the Nintendo DS and PSP Sub-forums.
Beware!! There is a possibility my review may spoil bits of the game in question!!
I’m here today to give you my first ever GBATemp review. The game that gets the honor is

kingdomhearts_recoded_logo.jpg

Here is my review system. I give my reviews out of 20, with separate sections for sound, graphics, gameplay and story. Each will get a sub-rating out of five. With each rating, I will provide my reasoning.

Ok, here goes…

Story
If you’ve ever played Kingdom Hearts 1, you’re in for a real non-treat. You’re going to be playing pretty much the same game over. I won’t spoil the story too much.

In a nutshell, the story focuses on Data Sora going into Jiminy’s Journal, to discover the origins of a message he didn’t write. In addition to this cryptic clue, the rest of the journal is blank. Sora goes across many worlds, rehashed from KH1. He is following a man in a black coat, while also trying to discover the origins of the mysterious messages.

The story doesn’t solely focus on Sora in the digital journal. We see Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Chip, Dale and Jiminy, as they attempt to help Sora.

The story starts to get good with the inclusion of Maleficent and Pete, and then the talkings with Roxas and Namine.

Rating: 3/5

I only gave this a three as, while it was good, there wasn’t enough to keep me gripped unlike Days and BBS.

Gameplay
Instead of utilizing the same play style as 358/2 Days, re:coded utilizes the Command Deck battle system from Birth By Sleep. This style translates extremely well to the DS. Here are the basic controls.

A: Attack
B: Jump
Y: Ability (Dodge Roll, Glide etc.)
X: Use command.

D-Pad: Move
L: Scroll command down
R: Center Cam
Start: Open Menu
Select: Zoom Cam In / Out

I felt that the controls were wonderfully responsive, although the game was much more fun without Auto-Jump. I played with the game switching between cam zooms, only because there were moments when I wanted to replicate, as best I could, what the original coded was like.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

The play style transfers so well to the Ds, except it was easier in BBS to go up and down commands. It is a combination button scheme in this one.

Sound
Players of the other entries in this series will recognize almost all of these sounds from previous games. At least they don’t get old now. From the calming tune of Dearly Beloved to the happy and exciting them of Welcome to Wonderland, veteran players will enjoy the series nostalgia.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

It is a shame they didn’t make new music for this game, but that is an extension of the rehashing of KH1 worlds. That being said, the music is still amazing.

Graphics
Many have said in polls and discussions around the internet, that KH: Days had the best graphics ever seen on a DS. This game takes it too the next level.

The game’s engine is an upgraded version of the one used in Days. This means that characters look better, and less pixelated.

Instead of FMVs, re:coded uses animated, 2d images on 2d backdrops for it’s cutscenes. This doesn’t hinder the game at all. The scenes are beautiful, and facial expressions are much better presented, meaning we aren’t seeing two different looks (point finger at Days).

The game experiences minor slowdown when there are multiple enemies on screen, or there are a lot of attacks happening at once. Don’t let this put you off, it takes 11-12 shadows to do this, and it is rare you’ll be fighting that many at once.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

I wanted to give this a 5, but the slowdown won me over. I don’t mind slowdown, but it affects my decision. Plus, I hate flat keyblades.

180px-Faith.jpg

Thanks for reading this, I hope this will help you decide on your feelings!
Final Rating:

STORY: 3
GAMEPLAY: 4.5
SOUND: 3.5
GRAPHICS: 4.5

15.5 / 20
Recommended for fans

By the way, this is my classification system:
SINGLE GAMES:

1-5 – Dropped in the trash
5.5-10 – Try, but no buy
10.5-15 – Fun while it lasted
15.5-17 – Trying recommended
17.5-19.5 – Recommended for buying
20 – Need copy on launch day

SEQUELS, ETC.

1-5 – You say this is related to (insert previous game)?!
5.5-10 – Play the first again, forget this one
10.5-15 – Isn’t bad, but it’s not good
15.5-17 – Recommended for fans
17.5-19.5 – Grab one, even if you’ve never played (insert previous)
20 – Amazing, best sequel ever

Please give me feedback on what I've done right and wrong!

I'm taking requests for Ds games, but I'm not promising to do them.

I also do retro games, but no requests for them!

I'm trying to have a review each Sunday, and I will have a website up soon enough!

Keep an eye out for my review of Crash Team Racing on the ps1!!

S

solarsaturn9

Slowdown should not affect your assessment of graphics as the graphics don't actually change, just the speed at which you view them. This is a common problem in many games and it is because of exactly what you said: too much going on at once for the hardware to handle. That being said, the fact that the keyblades are flat is actually a good thing because extra polys in the scene might actually cause more slowdown.

It is not Square Enix's fault that the NDS is so limited... the fact that the graphics in this game are better than that of Days is because they decided to opt for better graphics over performance.
biggrin.gif

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
VentusVanitas said:
A what, what review?

Is it ok if i put images off the net, I can't screencap my DS.

How do i insert a youtube vid?
He means he became a "too long, didn't read" review. That means it was just a wall of text no-one usually bothers reading so by putting in pictures it becomes interesting.
To insert a Youtube video you have to use the tags
Code:
[youtube][/youtube]
and put in the ending code of a Youtube video such as
Code:
KI27w_ULJAY
so that it will becomeCODE[youtube]KI27w_ULJAY[/youtube]

just use it without the code tags

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
VentusVanitas said:
Thanks, I got a sound example in now!!

I'm thinking of posting the pic on the KH wiki displaying the controls. Would that improve my review?
It would be plagerism. Plagerism does not make a review better

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zeromac said:
VentusVanitas said:
Thanks, I got a sound example in now!!

I'm thinking of posting the pic on the KH wiki displaying the controls. Would that improve my review?
It would be plagerism. Plagerism does not make a review better
Millions of high school students with "A" papers beg to differ.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Cite the source and make sure the KH wiki allows it. It is only plagiarism if you take credit for it and use source material excessively without permission. Although even with permission if you use source material excessively it makes your review unoriginal. I don't think you were planning on taking every multimedia object you could find, just an example of each type, so you should be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out