VR headsets for smartphones.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Please feel free to move this to the relavent cagegory ..

Ive been looking to buy a smartfone VR headset to give it a go .

My options , Google cardboard .... offers very cheap entry point but i dont want to sacrifice the experience by letting in light or comfort etc..

low priced plastic versions of cardboard .... whatever review i read someone has slated the device for a different reason , wether it be FOV or comfort or adjustment of lens .. but the price is nice.

then theres a hike in price to around 50-60 quid .. now were entering the point of : at this price it should be worth it , and im reluctant to spend this without a garunteed satisfactory result.

then we go to carl veiss or VR gear at a price i would want to be addicted to the concept before paying.

.. so im looking for people who have experienced these things ,

is it worth the investment or is a bit of cardboard enough ?
is there content other than POC's ?
any one used these cheapo plastic sets ?
please dont start blabbering on about rift's and console products .. i know theres better things coming.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The actual cardboard Google Cardboard is a gimmicky POC, don't bother buying one if you want to actually use it. I got myself one for $5, and it was really cool for a whole 5 minutes and then I tossed it in a closet never to be used again.

Honestly, I would recommend waiting for mobile VR to actually take off before you bother testing the waters. It's still in very early stages, and won't pass the whole "gimmicky" phase for another year or two. It might seem like there's a lot of cool stuff out there, but it's pretty limited.

If you really want to get a cheap VR thing for your phone, one of the cheapo plastic sets is probably the way to go. The best I could recommend is taking a look at all the plastic sets, and choosing one that seems the best for your phone. Worst that happens is you spent $20 on a hunk of plastic that's a bit uncomfortable, and you might have to spend another $20 on something else.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't want to ruin and sour your VR experience, i'd suggest waiting for an affordable, real VR headset or saving up for what we're getting now.

If you'd like a phone screen shoved uncomfortably and unhealthily close to your eyes, i'd suggest pitching your phone to a friend and having them home run the sucker right back at your face. Probably the only way for your phone to transport to you a beautiful, fictional world.

Reactions: zoogie

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
please dont start blabbering on about rift's and console products .. i know theres better things coming.

If you don't want to ruin and sour your VR experience, i'd suggest waiting for an affordable, real VR headset or saving up for what we're getting now.

If you'd like a phone screen shoved uncomfortably and unhealthily close to your eyes, i'd suggest pitching your phone to a friend and having them home run the sucker right back at your face. Probably the only way for your phone to transport to you a beautiful, fictional world.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read that, that's why I added my second line. I enjoy when people try avoid something by being obnoxious.

You could also stand under a basketball hoop, looking up at it and get your friend (or pay a random stranger if you don't have any of those I spose) to slam dunk your phone. Probably not as good though, but you get what you pay for.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
im not sure you deserve a response.

you've tried these low priced options i guess , and dont approve of them. other than that you've chosen to spit your sarcasm all over me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.