Hacking Volumerate.com and R4DS for $4?

Thanatos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.19236 R4 DS for less than $4 dollars i know the old adage that if its too good to be true... but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, anyone have any insight on this? Yes i know R4 is dead yes i know there are better cards out there but for $4 dollars? Comparing my R4 to the pictures i looks like it could either way, fake or real.

Rabbi Nevins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes its real. Its not too good to be true. I recommend this though

http://www.priceangels.com/R4_Revolution_M...ack__p2074.html

$3.30 for an r4 revolution. People exaggerate how shitty they are. With the link i gave you, that cart supports the wood r4 firmware, so basically it will have great compatibility and hopefully continuing support. It is not too good to be true suprisingly.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No it's a clone, just like the one on PriceAngels. R4 stopped producing carts a long time ago after Nintendo took court action in Japan.

To run Wood you either need an original R4, or a Clone which is a 1:1 copy of the original.

Have a look in my Wood R4 thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=227...=0#entry2841970 There are pictures in there of my 1:1 clone which runs Wood.

An R4 which doesn't run Wood is pretty much useless in my opinion. Provided you only have a DS Lite or DS Phat and only want to use MicroSD cards 2GB or less, these clones which run Wood R4 are great value.

Thanatos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why people rail on the R4 so much I'm running 1.18 on mine and only had problems with Spirit Tracks but i can see where people would have issue if it wasn't a 1:1 Clone as none of the replacement firmwares would work for it (Wood, YSMenu, Ect). Ive loved my legit R4 for as long as I've had it. I do need to try out Wood though, maybe ill do that tonight. I may buy couple off the PriceAngels though as i have a friend that's looking for something really cheap for his DSPhat and i may use one for my nephew to "backup" the games he legitimately owns so he doesn't have to carry around a bunch of cart everywhere he goes.

Rabbi Nevins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my bad, by "real" i thought he meant is that deal real. Yeah its obviously a clone. But people associate the fact that its a clone with it being unusable. In this case, it is perfectly functional. Install wood on this and dscoverflow(i dont recall if wood supports coverflow, either way ysmenu would work) and you have a pretty functional cart in my opinion.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rabbi Nevins said:
(i dont recall if wood supports coverflow, either way ysmenu would work)
it does have its own instructions for Wood in the latest archive direct from spinalcode's site. i haven't personally tested it but that suggests you're on to something.

edit:I use it on my AK2i's puzzle/misc MicroSD

Coverflow is definitely a nicer GUI than official firmware though. Especially if you rarely change your ROM lineup.

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Rabbi Nevins said:
yes its real. Its not too good to be true. I recommend this though

http://www.priceangels.com/R4_Revolution_M...ack__p2074.html

$3.30 for an r4 revolution. People exaggerate how shitty they are. With the link i gave you, that cart supports the wood r4 firmware, so basically it will have great compatibility and hopefully continuing support. It is not too good to be true suprisingly.
I tried this one, it works fine, but it doesn`t come with a card reader.

Thanatos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i ordered 3 from price angels (one for me one for a friend and one for my nephew) they came this last Friday. Set wood up to test on one of them, wow the Wood firmware is so much faster than the R4 firmware and alot easier to setup than YSMenu looks a hell alot better as well ill be running it from now on, thats something i couldnt say about YSMenu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1