VNDS File Database?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Inunah, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010

VNDS File Database? by Inunah at 11:27 PM (24,251 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Inunah
    OP

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I'm trying to start using Visual Novel DS, but I can't find a place to download the files for the visual novels. Naturally, I don't know what I'm looking for, and I don't know how to convert things to the correct file type.

Where can I find a database of pre-made VNDS files?

The only thing I've been able to find with databases is a Visual Novel Database that doesn't have files used in VNDS and this, which doesn't have enough stuff I'd be willing to take a look at.

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Actually, that was one of the downfalls of VNDS. All of the visual novels that work with VNDS were manually ported by porters that wanted to port them over (it takes quite a bit of effort due to the monotony of porting it), thus the selection of visual novels is pitifully small. Of course there are hopefully some porters still working on some of the visual novels (although I admit, with my fun random little programs and other things, I have stalled my port of Planetarian as well...)

3. Inunah
    OP

United States
    Oh. So there's not even a program that can convert Visual Novel files to .novel files?

4. jurassicplayer

United States
    Nope.
    In reality, those .novel files are just zipped up folders of the visual novels that have been ported (and are on that completed page that you posted...well, its missing Ballad of the Evening Butterfly, but most are there). In truth, the .novel files broke more of the things in the VNDS code than the gains (it didn't save space and only allowed for quicker file access since its one file instead of thousands) and that is why anoNL took it out and brought back an older version (so the latest and greatest version of VNDS is 1.4.9).

If there ever were a program that could convert visual novels directly to VNDS, it would have to either be extremely long in development (because there are so many different visual novel formats) or be specific for a certain visual novel (like the FSN or Umineko converters).

5. Inunah
    OP

United States
    Oh. I just assumed they were all one single format.

Also, why's the Fate/Stay Night VN so LARGE, even as a .novel file?! The only way i'd have enough space on my Micro SD is if I had only two games on my card or something!

And some VN called Saya no Uta scared the fuck out of me..... It makes me wonder why the heck I thought it would be a good VN to read.

6. jurassicplayer

United States
    xD FSN is large no matter what you do to it. If you split it and took it route by route (back when they had the java app that helped install it), each route still took roughly 600-700mb. The .novel format doesn't change the size of the visual novel, because even though it is a zipped up folder, its zipped up as storage (so no compression).

As for Saya no Uta...well that is just how it is xD (I didn't think it was THAT bad...demented a little, but its not like the main character was killing everyone...at most he only killed a couple people =D). Everyone thinks its a good visual novel (just look at the cute girl on the front xD)...until they read all of it.

7. Inunah
    OP

United States
    Oh. That's a LOT when you think about it, especially if you want at least three games on your Micro SD card.

And I've grown used to Saya no Uta. I've gotten one ending already, and I'm on the way to another. It's interesting.

8. 25FF

Newcomer 25FF Member

Indonesia
  9. jurassicplayer

United States
    Lol, that is the only place there is (and also what we were already talking about). I never knew the no-sound version was that small...I always just dumped the sound right in the same folder (that just made me realize that FS/N has an enormous amount of sounds).

10. Inunah
    OP

United States
    I have enough things to read on my DS that have no sound (E-books in Moonshell2 ftw), which is why I am refusing to pick VNDS games without sound. It's sound or nothing.

Not that I'd like to have FS/N as 80mb... It's tempting, but I can go without it if sounds make it too big of a file for me to fit on my Micro SD.

11. jurassicplayer

United States
    Lol from over a gig to 80mb is a fairly large temptation. That is a lot of space that could be saved without the sounds xD.

12. pikoko

Newcomer pikoko Member

United States
    I ahve a 8 gb microsd, getting 16, so size is not a problem. lag is awkward but not a real problem. I wanted to ask, the fate/stay night vn for vnds (with sound) displays the cherry blossom screen (traditionally inidicates you've beaten the routes) at start, even with no save files. Thjis is admittedly my first play through and I want to begin from the start. I've played a couple hours through the intro? (no choices, rin 1st person, got to summoning archer.) is this normal? pc version I have came with saves which I cleaned out, and it didn't show the rin 1st person intro, I jumped right into shirou admiring sakura's cuteness and the splash screen intro poem said "unlimited blade works" as the last line.... which is right? D:

13. The Minecrafter

Member The Minecrafter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So if I understand this right, isn't the reason there are very few ports mainly because of the many different archives used to store the files?
    If so, wouldn't a tool like AnimED(AE-VN tools) be useful for making ports? It has support for most visual novel archives. If this is true, wouldn't it be fairly easy to make a port of a game, as the archive tool has not failed me yet for extracting CG's or music.

14. Toaster Mage

Newcomer Toaster Mage Newbie

United States
    No its because the epenis:effort ratio is too low for anyone to bother.

Any translated game has a tool for extracting data floating around so thats not the issue at all.