Hardware Vita Owners, any of you prefer Vita Slim over the Vita?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 12,193
  • Replies 36

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never owned a phat model, but I hear the oled can't be matched. however, I like the slim, because it's more compact and contains internal storage.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
OLED Vita screens are the biggest snake oil nonsense feature I've ever witnessed, so tired of hearing about it. "Come here and get your blotchy color screens and rave to all your fanboy friends because it has <trendy tech buzzword> name". Maybe OLED screens look good on high end TVs, but the Vita 1000 OLEDs were absolute garbage.

The slim, on the other hand, has a clearer, sharper IPS screen, is lighter, has built in flash, doesn't have the stupid custom charging cord, and looks a hell of a lot nicer. And wasn't it cheaper too?

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OLED Vita screens are the biggest snake oil nonsense feature I've ever witnessed, so tired of hearing about it. "Come here and get your blotchy color screens and rave to all your fanboy friends because it has <trendy tech buzzword> name". Maybe OLED screens look good on high end TVs, but the Vita 1000 OLEDs were absolute garbage.

The slim, on the other hand, has a clearer, sharper IPS screen, is lighter, has built in flash, doesn't have the stupid custom charging cord, and looks a hell of a lot nicer. And wasn't it cheaper too?
But muh, "true blacks".

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But muh, "true blacks".

But heavier, worse battery life, oled screens rot because they are organic and more expensive to replace when you drop it and break it.

Question you have to ask is if you are fooled by something heavier being "more premium", or like staring at the true blacks vs playing a game.

They both play the same games. There isn't really a universal answer.

Last edited by smf,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
And I take it nobody has bothered to make a screen mod where you can bring the OLED screen into the slim? (Sort of like the GBA SP 101 screen into the AGB-001 "wideboy" GBA.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But heavier, worse battery life, oled screens rot because they are organic and more expensive to replace when you drop it and break it.

Question you have to ask is if you are fooled by something heavier being "more premium", or like staring at the true blacks vs playing a game.

They both play the same games. There isn't really a universal answer.
To be fair, washed-out blacks or backlight bleed can be jarring and REALLY distract from what you're playing.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, washed-out blacks or backlight bleed can be jarring and REALLY distract from what you're playing.

I've only ever had a slim & I never thought it was a problem that would justify splashing out on an oled.

If the slim was that bad then nobody would have bought them, but they sold more slims than fat.

Last edited by smf,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I genuinely prefer my Slim to my 3G OLED. It is so much more comfortable to hold and unless my OLED has some bad speakers, there is a huge difference on that end for me, someone who avoids earbuds.

inetkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slim. Love the micro USB and unless I’m playing with an OLED model side by side, the screen quality difference is negligible. Also love the matte finish.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
I only have a slim, but I’ve never felt I’ve been missing something without the OLED.

I’m sure I’d notice if I had them both, but the LCD on the Slim is the best LCD of any portable gaming device I have.

Last edited by Jacobh,
Reactions: inetkun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel