Hacking Virtual Console WADs Crash when Launching

aryer87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title says it all. I have a version 4.3U Wii that is softmodded. Installed the homebrew channel, updated IOS 249 and 250, then used mutimod manager to install a WAD of super mario world that I downloaded from the google drive link that has all of the virtual console WADs. Everytime I try to launch the game it crashes to a blank screen. Also tried installing a different WAD for a different game (super mario bros. 3) and the same thing happens. I also have USB Loader GX installed as well as several wii games loaded onto an external hard drive. Those games work just fine. I also have a few N64 games installed and those work just fine too. It's only virtual console WADs that I cannot get to work. Any ideas what might be causing the issue?

aryer87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
patched system menu IOS80? - No I don't think I have that installed. Is that needed?

I first tried installing the titles directly onto the wii which didn't work. Also tried moving them to the SD card and that did not work either.

Titles are NTSC and I have an NTSC wii.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Install at a minimum a patched ios60 to your IOS80 slot. If this is too complicated, just use modmii, it will do it for u, u can use the syscheck updater wizard or the main wizard. I'm not certain it will fix your issue, but it's worth a shot. IIRC it will allow titles to be played after moving them to the SD card, but I don't think it should be required for titles installed to real nand so that's why I'm not sure if it will necessarily fix your issue.

You could also just try neek and an emulated nand, or even better an emulated nand and a modern usb loader to load titles off it off one or more emulated nands saved to external media

Last edited by XFlak,

aryer87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install at a minimum a patched ios60 to your IOS80 slot. If this is too complicated, just use modmii, it will do it for u, u can use the syscheck updater wizard or the main wizard. I'm not certain it will fix your issue, but it's worth a shot. IIRC it will allow titles to be played after moving them to the SD card, but I don't think it should be required for titles installed to real nand so that's why I'm not sure if it will necessarily fix your issue.

You could also just try neek and an emulated nand, or even better an emulated nand and a modern usb loader to load titles off it off one or more emulated nands saved to external media

I have USB Loader Gx and im able to play wii games in wbfs just fine. Is there a way that I can install a WAD to my hard drive and use USB Loader Gx to play it?

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have USB Loader Gx and im able to play wii games in wbfs just fine. Is there a way that I can install a WAD to my hard drive and use USB Loader Gx to play it?

yes, just use usb loader gx's feature to create emunand, then inject wads into it. I've done this on the wii u, so the wii should be as simple as that.

aryer87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update - got them to by setting up an emunand in usb loader gx and installed the wads to it. They are playable in usb loader gx. Thanks!

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr