Virginized IOS'es forgot about Preloader ...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sfjuocekr, Jun 18, 2011.

Jun 18, 2011
  1. sfjuocekr
    OP

Newcomer sfjuocekr Advanced Member

Netherlands
    As stated in the title, I was updating IOS'es to their latest non patched IOS's equivalents but forgot about Preloader.

If I had removed Preloader I would not have been in this situation, but as it stands now Preloader is in place with a non patched IOS so System Menu won't start it basicly throws a black screen.

Pressing reset during bootup ends up, as expected, with a black screen too.

I have yet to try the GC UDLR key combo, as I dont have a controller here right now and I'm not quite sure if it will actually work ... knowing Preloader sits in the System Menu!

This is a 4.0E System Menu.

Any toughts on what todo to fix this? I don't have the NAND keys either, stupid as I do have a programmer [​IMG]

2. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You said pressing reset during bootup

You have to hold reset while it boots up not just press it.

Also you have bootmii installed as boot2 by chance?

3. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    You installed ios60-v6400, your wii is a full brick. Only boot2 bootmii or nand reprogramming can fix it. If you had installed a non-patched ios60-v6174 you would get a "System Files are Corrupt" error at boot and preloader would still work. So I think you stubbed your system ios.

4. sfjuocekr
    OP

Newcomer sfjuocekr Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Yup this is exactly the case, as I was going to update the SM to 4.3 and a core dump happened when it was installing the channels.

I should have known better and updated the SM to 4.3 BEFORE doing all the IOS'es in batch.

Boot2 bootmii is not installed, not possible and I have a NAND dump with keys "somewhere" on a long gone Windows XP install drive. Guess Ill either have to find that or sent it to Nintendo for repair.

5. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    If you can find the bootmii backup nand.bin or key.bin file you can have the nand reprogrammed. Send it to DeadlyFoez, he can fix it for you if you have the keys.

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    ...who will find out that the system menu is preloader* and send it back unrepaired with a PEBKAC-note (in case you didn't knew: hacking a console voids the warranty).

Also: without bootmii as IOS, you can't really prevent the system menu (or preloader, in your case) to run, so I don't think you'll be able to actually run bootmii to restore that backup.

So...yeah. I gotta +1 mauifrog to send it to DeadlyFoez. Sorry, but there just ain't a quickfix solution for this sort of problem.

*why do people still use this over priiloader, btw? It's not a bad program, but it's been outdated for YEARS!

7. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Don't send it to Nintendo. Chances are they won't fix it for you.

If you find the nand.bin dump then I can fix it for you.