SourceviDSnips 3 has had all dependencies on PALib removed and now is purely a libNDS based library that can be used for any DS homebrew project. (For PALib based projects see viDSnips 2 for PALib.)
- no external dependencies so will build with the latest updates of devKitPro & libNDS
- better frame rates with far fewer dropped frames
However, with the loss of the PALib MP3 support, there are audio issues:
- audio quality is reduced for comparable .vDS file sizes (as compared to version 2)
- audio is no longer streamed so audio size is a serious consideration
- audio reproduction on emulators is much poorer than the real device
Improving the audio for viDSnips 3 is an area of further development.
Note also that version 2 .vDS files will not work with viDSnips 3.
Now that viDSnip has no more dependencies on PALib do you think it will become a widely used tool to play videos/cut scenes in homebrew games?