Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
goggle-like-3d-game-system-virtual-boy.jpg

Interesting and obscure video game systems are often referred to as "commercial failures." The article linked below briefly discusses systems like the Virtual Boy, CD-i, Gizmondo, N64DD, and other systems. If you are curious about what you missed out on or just want to read about obscure systems, give the article a read.

icon11.gif
 List of Commercial Failures in Video Gaming

monkey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Virtual Boy is the best thing ever, I don't care what anybody says. I still have mine somewhere and now I'll have to spend some time rummaging through my attic looking for it.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I remember playing Battlecruiser 3000AD and slamming my keyboard trying to figure out the controls. I still got it in my drawer full of games, but it's absolute trash. lol

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
The PSX actually looked really good. It just was built at he wrong time when computer hardware was very expensive and had some cosmetic issues. (i.e. the controller slots at the back.) I think back then RAM was like over $1000 and now you can get for under $200.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I love reading about failed consoles, thanks for the link another world. I also at one point had collected a lot of those systems but sadly I sold many of them off over the years.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I still remember reading a Psychonauts review in a local gaming magazine and them giving it a perfect score. It looked so interesting that I rushed out to get it (with my mom), only to find out that barely anyone had it. Probably because of it's relative obscurity. Once I did find it, I played it to death. Good times. And amazing game, it was outstanding.

awssk8er said:
Some of the software ones shouldn't be on there...

Sure MadWorld sold like crap, but it wasn't that bad...
COMMERCIAL FAILURES

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
431unknown said:
...had collected a lot of those systems ....

I'm really interested in picking up a Vectrex but i have a lot more research to do.

-another world

My aunt and uncle had one of them when I was little... god I loved to play that thing whenever we visited them. I had one when I first bought my current house... sold it off right after my son was born. I miss that thing.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Am I the only one who finds the placement rather funny?
2011-09-17_2209.png

In all seriousness though, how did Beyond Good & Evil and ?kami manage to fail? I bought copies of both at launch and I know many who did the same - and they both have high ratings.

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
2011-09-17_2209.png

In all seriousness though, how did Beyond Good & Evil and ?kami manage to fail? I bought copies of both at launch and I know many who did the same - and they both have high ratings.

Sales did not reach production cost or the sales didn't reach even a fraction of the companies expected sales thus becoming a business failure, just like shenmue spending 70m in production and even tho it had good sales it didnt even cover 60% of the cost.

D

Deleted-236924

Antoligy said:
2011-09-17_2209.png

If you read the wikipedia article, you'd know Okami sold less than 600 000 copies in 3 years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt