Hardware Very Slow WLAN?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I got a defective Wii U or if there's something else to blame here.

Just to clarify, I am NOT just talking about NUS/eShop. It does this for Netflix too, and on the web browser.

I opened up http://speedof.me from the gamepad, and it reported that I was only getting 500kb/sec down.

I have Comcast's 50mbps plan, and it goes pretty darn close to that speed on my desktop computer. On my laptop, which is using the exact same Wi-Fi router, I get 20mbps down. (I believe the speed is limited by the fact that I'm using WEP, not WPA... blame the DS for that)

I ordered one of those Wii Ethernet adapters and hopefully that'll get me proper speeds. But I'm wondering why the Wi-Fi is so incredibly slow at the same time.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using another site like speedtest.net

that site is wrong. They are showing mb/s instead of mbps... So I assume theres something wrong with it and it may be incorrectly showing your speeds

What i get on speedofme
gqo9JyY.png

And what I get on speedtest.net (these are my correct speeds)
MbK5mVz.png

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speedtest.net doesn't work because it requires Flash. And the Wii U doesn't have Flash in its browser (funny, when I click to install it, Adobe thinks I'm using Windows)

I think technically that is correct, Mb meaning Megabit - M is the metric prefix for "mega" and lowercase b is bit... (uppercase B is Byte)
I mean, yours seems to be close enough, speedofme gives slower download but faster upload speed, but they're around the same overall.

Now if one of them gave like 2mbps and the other gave 20, then I'd be worried :glare:

So yeah, unless you can recommend another speed test website that doesn't require Flash or Java (speedtest.net and speakeasy.net/speedtest are out), I'll have to stick to speedof.me

I'll let you guys know what happens once I get the LAN adapter (it just shipped today so it'll take a few days to arrive)... it's just peculiar that I'm getting SUCH slow speeds, literally 1/100th of my connection speed... (500kbps opposed to 50mbps)

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mb/s and mbps are different

Mb/s = megabytes per second
mbps = megabits per second

1megabit = 0.125megabytes

So if you do the conversions on Speedtest, I get 1.5mb/s up, 0.75mb/s down, which is accurate as those are what I get when downloading/uploading
On speedofme I get 11.41mb/s down and 6.48mb/s up

i guess maybe they just made typos and you can think that they meant mbps but I still wouldnt suggest it

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, MB/sec is megabytes per second.

Technically Mb/sec is the same as mbps, just that nobody uses it. Gotta watch out for those capital letters B-)

I can confirm that speedtest.net uses mega*bits* per second. I have a 10mbps bi-directional connection here at work and both speedtest and speedofme give very close to 10 in their results.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it