Hardware Vertical or flat standing for the PS4?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It depends on where you put it. If it's inside a TV stand or drawer, it doesn't matter because air isn't circulating and you're going to kill the machine sooner or later. If it's around open air, it doesn't really matter as much because it's designed to work vertically as well, however for ensuring a long life for the Blu-ray drive, having the console sit flat is better due to gravity. It looks probably cooler when standing vertically, though. Make sure if you place it vertically then get the stand accessory for it.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always stand my consoles up. My thinking behind that is both the sides with the most surface area are open to the air and wont hold in as much residual heat. When you lay it down then the bottom don't have much air under it to keep that side of it cool. I did have my Wii laying down though because it didn't seem to generate much heat, then again that could have been because the disc drive was never in use.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I always lay my consoles flat, as they were intended. Standing them vertically seems really odd, and doesn't even work in most entertainment centers anyways, where everything's expected to lay flat.

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Behind my TV I have my GC, Wii, and 360 vertically
The GC was only made to stand one way otherwise laying on jts side would block the fans along with needing space to open the flip to insert the disk. DC and PS1 were the same although I've heard of some laying their PS1 upside-down for no apparent reason Below the TV are my ps2 and ps3 which are horizontal since they don't have their respective stands to lay vertical and no more space behind the TV. My future PS4 would also go below and horizontal.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
T
Behind my TV I have my GC, Wii, and 360 vertically
The GC was only made to stand one way otherwise laying on jts side would block the fans along with needing space to open the flip to insert the disk. DC and PS1 were the same although I've heard of some laying their PS1 upside-down for no apparent reason Below the TV are my ps2 and ps3 which are horizontal since they don't have their respective stands to lay vertical and no more space behind the TV. My future PS4 would also go below and horizontal.
he PS1 would wear out the rails of the CD-Rom drive, and owners found that turning the PS1 upside down was a good temporary fix for this problem.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i am scared when putting consoles in vertically, the dog\cat or friend or toodlers can decide to touch the console and then console "goes to flat position" by gravity...

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
migles the 360, ps3 and ps4 can be stood on their side but Xbox own can't if that helps. You can get a stand so is shouldn't fall (but as you set pets can be annoying that way lol)

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't recommend it either but some are able to be stood that way, mine are always flat (just in case lol)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
migles the 360, ps3 and ps4 can be stood on their side but Xbox own can't if that helps. You can get a stand so is shouldn't fall (but as you set pets can be annoying that way lol)

i know.. i remember ps2 had the a vertical (and even a flat) stands but still i get nightmares because if a toodler\baby or dog can touch the gamepad wires...
but it really depends on where you put it and how you let people be in your house xD

Reactions: elmoemo

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
didn't the 360 chew up disks like cocaine when it was put on its side?...that should tell you something.......
Yea if you nudged it or moved it while it was reading the disc. If you didn't move it it was fine (I had mine standing up for years with no issue) my ps3 was always lying down though as is my Xbox one so can't comment on those

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't the 360 chew up disks like cocaine when it was put on its side?...that should tell you something.......

You also blocked the main air intake on the pre-slim 360 if you stood it vertically. I don't know about slims or E's, but it's definitely bad news sticking old school 360's vertical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"