Vertical or flat standing for the PS4?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by CarefulCrysis, Feb 1, 2015.

1. CarefulCrysis
    OP

CarefulCrysis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 25, 2013
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    I've recently ordered a PS4 and was wondering what would be the best solution for storing it while I play, I've heard that standing it vertically can block the air circulation. Any suggestions or experience?

2. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    It depends on where you put it. If it's inside a TV stand or drawer, it doesn't matter because air isn't circulating and you're going to kill the machine sooner or later. If it's around open air, it doesn't really matter as much because it's designed to work vertically as well, however for ensuring a long life for the Blu-ray drive, having the console sit flat is better due to gravity. It looks probably cooler when standing vertically, though. Make sure if you place it vertically then get the stand accessory for it.

3. Mushkin

Mushkin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2007
    Portugal, Porto
    i think is better to be standing down

4. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    If it is close to a wall behind it, lay it down. If it's out in the open, stand it up.

5. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I always stand my consoles up. My thinking behind that is both the sides with the most surface area are open to the air and wont hold in as much residual heat. When you lay it down then the bottom don't have much air under it to keep that side of it cool. I did have my Wii laying down though because it didn't seem to generate much heat, then again that could have been because the disc drive was never in use.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I always lay my consoles flat, as they were intended. Standing them vertically seems really odd, and doesn't even work in most entertainment centers anyways, where everything's expected to lay flat.

7. Randamin

Randamin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    Laredo, TX
    Behind my TV I have my GC, Wii, and 360 vertically
    The GC was only made to stand one way otherwise laying on jts side would block the fans along with needing space to open the flip to insert the disk. DC and PS1 were the same although I've heard of some laying their PS1 upside-down for no apparent reason Below the TV are my ps2 and ps3 which are horizontal since they don't have their respective stands to lay vertical and no more space behind the TV. My future PS4 would also go below and horizontal.

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    T
    he PS1 would wear out the rails of the CD-Rom drive, and owners found that turning the PS1 upside down was a good temporary fix for this problem.

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i am scared when putting consoles in vertically, the dog\cat or friend or toodlers can decide to touch the console and then console "goes to flat position" by gravity...

10. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    migles the 360, ps3 and ps4 can be stood on their side but Xbox own can't if that helps. You can get a stand so is shouldn't fall (but as you set pets can be annoying that way lol)

11. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Standing my PS2 and Xbox 360 sideways ruined their disk drives for me. So I wouldn't recommend it.

elmoemo likes this.
  12. elmoemo

Dec 4, 2012
    Wouldn't recommend it either but some are able to be stood that way, mine are always flat (just in case lol)

13. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i know.. i remember ps2 had the a vertical (and even a flat) stands but still i get nightmares because if a toodler\baby or dog can touch the gamepad wires...
    but it really depends on where you put it and how you let people be in your house xD

elmoemo likes this.
  14. elmoemo

Dec 4, 2012
    Yea if its in a cabinet or out of the road you'll be grand (now controllers are wireless)

15. CarefulCrysis
    OP

Jan 25, 2013
    thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately I've not really got any other option than to stand the PS4 due to lack of space.

16. elmoemo

Dec 4, 2012
    Well I'd say put it against a wall of cabinet or something like that if you need to stand it up

17. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    didn't the 360 chew up disks like cocaine when it was put on its side?...that should tell you something.......

18. elmoemo

Dec 4, 2012
    Yea if you nudged it or moved it while it was reading the disc. If you didn't move it it was fine (I had mine standing up for years with no issue) my ps3 was always lying down though as is my Xbox one so can't comment on those

19. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    You also blocked the main air intake on the pre-slim 360 if you stood it vertically. I don't know about slims or E's, but it's definitely bad news sticking old school 360's vertical.

20. CarefulCrysis
    OP

Jan 25, 2013
    tbf I never had any problems with all of my other consoles that have been stood vertical PS2 PS3 and Xbox 360