VC Patches?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kurausukun, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Kurausukun
    OP

Kurausukun GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    I'm trying to get the FDS version of Zelda 1 to work on the 3DS VC, and I've almost succeeded, but I can't proceed past the title screen because the game is expecting me to flip the disk, and there's obviously no button for that. I see that there are patches in the romfs of the original ROM that I replaced with Zelda, but I'm not sure where to find the appropriate patch from a Wii VC game. I know the ROM is in 00000001.app, but I'm not sure if the patch is there too or not; unless I'm not looking in the right place, it seems to be in a different format since I don't see any similar-looking plaintext to the patch files the 3DS uses.

Is anyone knowledgeable about how the Wii patches its VC games and where I should look for them?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    There are none, AFAIK - the emulator has a hard-compiled video filter and the roms are pre-censored

It's probably easier to try looking at the patch list of another 3DS FDS game...

3. Kurausukun
    OP

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    I looked at the patches for Link's Adventure, which what I'm "injecting" it into, but I don't really know what it's doing since I don't know ARM ASM very well, nor do I know the memory areas of the game. I'm pretty sure I'd need a game-specific hack for this, which is why I asked about the other versions. And no, it isn't baked into the ROM, because if you extract the ROM from the Wii WAD and play it in an FDS emulator, pressing start does nothing.

4. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    from what vc game did you get the patches?

5. Kurausukun
    OP

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    The base ROM I was using was Link's Adventure since it was the only one I owned that was actually an FDS title.

6. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    from what I remember the wii vc file does say "press start" on the title screen indeed but you have to actually swap over the disc for it to then work in an external emu just like you would with a real fds image, I think they made some sort of hack that like constantly swaps over the discs or something for it to work (the rom from zelda collectors edition on gamecube is nearly identical by the way) so I assume the difference is that the 3ds probably uses some different identifier command to figure out when the game wants a disc change, not really sure if that'd be easily ported over, you'd have to probably compare both 3ds and wii versions of the images to figure out any changes. the wii vc rom itself is quite heavily patched compared to a clean image by the way so I doubt there are any more external patches.

7. Kurausukun
    OP

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    I guess as I feared, I'd have to reverse-engineer the code myself to some degree. I'm not too confident I can do it, but thanks for the information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice