Using your PC as a 'gamepad', is this technically possible?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Langin, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Langin
    OP

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    heya everyone,

I got a weird question maybe a bit on the noob side of the force but who the hell cares. Today I was playing Wii games on my gamepad and I was thinking this: would it be possible to stream the content to my PC instead of the gamepad?

It sounds like a way around, because we have emulators and that kind of stuff but I'd like to ask this:

Is it technically possible to let your Wii U stream content to your PC instead of the Gamepad?

I am sure there might be a way someone can develop an Application or so that picks up the Wii U's frequency or whatever and bam show it on my pc.(My pc can't run Dolphin most of the times and when it runs it runs at horrible speed.)

2. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    The wiiu and it's gamepad use a broadcom chipset to exchange the video signal from the wiiu to the gamepad.
    To capture that signal on your pc, you would need a receiving device with that same chipset.
    The chipset will likely compress the video signal to transmit it as fast and efficient as possible, and how this is done will probably be a broadcom secret.
    So, I don't think a wifi stick and some clever software will do the trick. I tried to find the part id of the chipset used for the video transfer but couldn't find it.

Langin likes this.
  3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    The connection between Wii U and gamepad is modified Wireless N in proprietary format. It is not possible for PC to "capture" this signal because no one else use it and no one but Nintendo and Broadcom know its specification.

Langin likes this.
  4. Langin
    OP

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Thanks for the replies guys! ^_^ I really appreciate it.

Alright then, I am just fine with the Gamepad and who knows what the future might hold for us. :3

5. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    For what reason do you want this ? am i missing something?

6. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    Gamepad on pc was done by somebody months ago... it is possible. There's a website with pictures or video showing it, not sure but i think there's even a thread here about it.

I didn't save the url though, but a few minutes googling should fetch it.

hashcheck1 likes this.
  7. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    No it wasnt , in the manner the OP is asking , your referring to the streaming of your PC onto your gamepad.

but maybe i missed that news.....

8. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
  9. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    So as pointed in the article, they don't use that broadcom properiety video streaming protocol and it's possible to emulate the gamepad on a pc.
    Learning every day....