Using UNEEK Alongside real modded NAND

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Falkoner, Jan 24, 2013.

Jan 24, 2013
  1. Falkoner
    OP

Newcomer Falkoner Newbie

United States
    After I had already softmodded my Wii to load my game backups for Gamecube and Wii using USB Loader GX (That way the kids don't have to touch the discs), I was depressed that there were some glitches with Wii games, and even more with Gamecube ones, whether I used Devolution or DIOS MIOS.

So I recently came across UNEEK and was wondering if it would give me more vanilla loading capabilities with my backed up games. If so, how would I go about installing it making it as user-friendly as possible for kids to use?

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    errhm, WHAT glitches?

3. Falkoner
    OP

Newcomer Falkoner Newbie

United States
    When playing Kirby's Air Ride(GC) it would freeze when going into the races or the post-City Trial minigames. Several other GC games simply wouldn't load(like Spiderman).

Animal Crossing: City Folk would freeze if I didn't have WiiConnect24 disabled.

From what I've read about UNEEK is seems like it's not doing any sort of emulation, it's just using the Wii's built-in systems for reading the games, and emulating the hardware. That sounds like it'd have less glitches than these seem to.

4. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    It's the other way around acctually, uneek is completely emulating the system, except it uses the original hardware.
    Youv seem to have isseus with gamecube games, this is DML related.

If you did a softmod with the help of modmii you should not have any problems with any Wii game.
    DML is something else, it the gamecube part.
    some games work better using dml, other plain diosmios, some better with devolution or wiigators cmios via backupdiscs. Lot of options.

Uneek is capable of loading any game, this it's loading is somewhat slower.
    To be honest if you want to load Wii games without problems use usb loader gx or cfg loader and make sure you have the latest 2dx cios installed.
    Modmii can provide you with the needed files.

5. Falkoner
    OP

Newcomer Falkoner Newbie

United States
    I already have all of that and like I said, most Wii games seem to be fine(Animal Crossing is an anomaly), but the Gamecube side of things is less than desirable. Again, I'm trying to make this fairly easy for kids to use, so if I can keep it between one cIOS and Devolution with USB Loader GX that'd be ideal, since I can just preconfigure the games. I'm trying to run the games only off the HDD, so backup discs isn't really desirable. I used ModMii for the original setup, so I don't think that's the issue. But you're saying that UNEEK will successfully load any game? I don't mind a little bit of slowness.

6. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    Yes uneek will load any game, BUT it's about the same in compatibilty with a proper usb load gx and ciosd2x setup.
    Loading via cios is generally a lot faster, also usb loader is MUCH more user friendly, especially for kids.

7. Falkoner
    OP

Newcomer Falkoner Newbie

United States
    Yeah, from what I can tell, there is no GUI for SNEEK. Now, would you really recommend cIOS d2x over DIOS MIOS? I'm under the impression they're not interchangeable, and I also was under the impression that USB Loader GX worked with DIOS MIOS and not other cIOS's. In fact, I swear I installed d2x's cIOS and I was no longer able to load Gamecube games from USB Loader GX, so I changed it back.

EDIT: Further reading is telling me that my impressions above are wrong. Is there a good tutorial on how to properly set up USB Loader GX for Gamecube? I already have my games ripped properly, and HBC set up. My USB Loader GX is also updated to the latest revision. Also, since I have plenty of HDD space, should I rerip my games uncompressed for better compatibility?

Finally, would it be reasonably simple to add UNEEK as just another option when other options break? The tutorial I tried had me downloading IOS's for it and compiling it, but I noticed it appears to be built into ModMii, but I don't see how I forward to it.