Using Tinfoil and Nut over LAN

Like many I ran into trouble attempting to get Tinfoil to talk to Nut via USB. It didn't seem like any combination of enabling or disabling the MTP/Nut options in Tinfoil or drivers worked. Additionally I'm suspicious of Tinfoil's MTP implementation in general as it has given me trouble on more than one occasion simply attempting to copy things to/from the SD card.

Pre-Reqs
  • Nut + keys.txt from somewhere.
  • Tinfoil
  • A computer to run Nut on and some games you'd like to be able to install
  • Modded or hacked switch
  • (Optional) A wired network adapter. Wireless on the Switch will get you around 6 - 12 MBps transfer rates, wired gigabit will get around 30 - 45 MBps. Also note those numbers are not to be confused with Mbps.
  • (Optional) If you're concerned with bans and such you should probably have already done this but take steps to prevent your console from talking to Nintendo servers as you will be connecting it to your LAN and likely the Internet.

Set up nut and start it. Be sure to allow the Windows firewall exception when prompted.

firewall.png

If you have already dismissed the notification or didn't see the notification, you will need to open the Windows firewall and setup a rule that allows the nut.exe application to talk on your network but this is outside the scope of this guide.

Next get the IP address, port, and user credentials from the Nut window.

nut.png

Connect your Switch to the wired network adapter or your wireless network. Open Tinfoil and create a new source. Replace the Host IP address in the screenshot below with your IP address from the Nut window. Once saved and refreshed Tinfoil should populate the New Games tab and others with the content available via Nut.

tinfoil.jpg

Troubleshooting:
The most likely problem is the Windows Firewall. To confirm, check the Nut console window for any messages. A successful connection from Tinfoil to the Nut server will generate a couple lines regarding getSearch with the IP address of the switch and a timestamp.
connection.png

If you don't see this, you likely have a firewall problem or something else is preventing network communication between the switch and the computer running Nut.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I use MTP, I just use nut. I only have issues installing things that way when I add or delete stuff (NSPs) to the folders. Then, I close nut, go to /titledb (on my PC), and delete EVERYTHING in there. It takes a bit after you open nut again for the db stuff to re-download/rebuild itself, but when it's done, I refresh the list in nut, then reopen tinfoil, and all is well.

EDIT: Just checked my settings, and I do currently have both MTP and NUT enabled. I install games from the USB: part of the file browser menu on the Switch.

Last edited by urherenow,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like many I ran into trouble attempting to get Tinfoil to talk to Nut via USB. It didn't seem like any combination of enabling or disabling the MTP/Nut options in Tinfoil or drivers worked. Additionally I'm suspicious of Tinfoil's MTP implementation in general as it has given me trouble on more than one occasion simply attempting to copy things to/from the SD card.

Pre-Reqs
  • Nut + keys.txt from somewhere.
  • Tinfoil
  • A computer to run Nut on and some games you'd like to be able to install
  • Modded or hacked switch
  • (Optional) A wired network adapter. Wireless on the Switch will get you around 6 - 12 MBps transfer rates, wired gigabit will get around 30 - 45 MBps. Also note those numbers are not to be confused with Mbps.
  • (Optional) If you're concerned with bans and such you should probably have already done this but take steps to prevent your console from talking to Nintendo servers as you will be connecting it to your LAN and likely the Internet.

Set up nut and start it. Be sure to allow the Windows firewall exception when prompted.

View attachment 307461

If you have already dismissed the notification or didn't see the notification, you will need to open the Windows firewall and setup a rule that allows the nut.exe application to talk on your network but this is outside the scope of this guide.

Next get the IP address, port, and user credentials from the Nut window.

View attachment 307462

Connect your Switch to the wired network adapter or your wireless network. Open Tinfoil and create a new source. Replace the Host IP address in the screenshot below with your IP address from the Nut window. Once saved and refreshed Tinfoil should populate the New Games tab and others with the content available via Nut.

View attachment 307463

Troubleshooting:
The most likely problem is the Windows Firewall. To confirm, check the Nut console window for any messages. A successful connection from Tinfoil to the Nut server will generate a couple lines regarding getSearch with the IP address of the switch and a timestamp.
View attachment 307464
If you don't see this, you likely have a firewall problem or something else is preventing network communication between the switch and the computer running Nut.
Added! https://bit.ly/binky08

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I use tinfoil to install xci/nsp files from my NAS over FTP. I don't really want to run an extra 3rd party software on my NAS just to serve the package files for switch. Btw their SMB implementation is buggy and would drop the connection randomly. FTP is rock solid so just use FTP.

• Love
Reactions: highla

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I use MTP, I just use nut. I only have issues installing things that way when I add or delete stuff (NSPs) to the folders. Then, I close nut, go to /titledb (on my PC), and delete EVERYTHING in there. It takes a bit after you open nut again for the db stuff to re-download/rebuild itself, but when it's done, I refresh the list in nut, then reopen tinfoil, and all is well.

EDIT: Just checked my settings, and I do currently have both MTP and NUT enabled. I install games from the USB: part of the file browser menu on the Switch.
I found that closing Nut and simply deleting titledb/files.json is enough to fix any issues there but USB still wouldn't cooperate for me. I keep everything on a file server so running Nut there and connecting over the LAN fit my use case better as well.
Personally I use tinfoil to install xci/nsp files from my NAS over FTP. I don't really want to run an extra 3rd party software on my NAS just to serve the package files for switch. Btw their SMB implementation is buggy and would drop the connection randomly. FTP is rock solid so just use FTP.
Yes, SMB or FTP was going to be my next try if Nut over LAN had failed. Unfortunate to hear that the SMB implementation isn't solid.

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MTP installs are fast. Just use MTP
Based on my experience of wired LAN installs and copying things via DBI's MTP responder I'd say they are the same, ~35 MBps. WiFi is of course slower but more convenient since you're not attached to a cable.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's already functional. No registry muckery. If someone can't get this right they have no business with FTP. And the MTP protocol works well. The MTP in tinfoil is great. Install,rip,sd,firmware all right there. Last I looked NUTs "driver" was just a registry entry.. But i don't like running stuff like that on my PC. MTP just requires a USB cable.

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Fast & Easiest Method:
I have been using my external hard drives & USB flash drives to install games. FTP and NUT never really worked right for me plus the installation speed was way too slow.

1. You can connect the USB drives straight into the switch DOCK itself.
2. Launch Tinfoil and wait for it to refresh.
3. Under "File Browser", you can locate your external drives depending on which USB port is connect to the DOCK, it should be under "hdd1" or hdd2"

Using this method, I can install any games at roughly 35~45MB/S.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fast & Easiest Method:
I have been using my external hard drives & USB flash drives to install games. FTP and NUT never really worked right for me plus the installation speed was way too slow.

3. Under "File Browser", you can locate your external drives depending on which USB port is connect to the DOCK, it should be under "hdd1" or hdd2"

This works quickly but then you have to copy it twice. Once from the hard drive to the USB and another time from the USB to the switch. Using just a USB cable lets you install it directly from the PC to the switch.

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
This works quickly but then you have to copy it twice. Once from the hard drive to the USB and another time from the USB to the switch. Using just a USB cable lets you install it directly from the PC to the switch.
That's why I have a dedicated 4TB external hard drive just for my Switch.
I just unplug from my PC then connect USB to my switch DOCK for install. I can install ~8GB base game files within 5mins or less.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just connect switch to pc, start tinfoil, open switch on pc, drag n drop games to install folder, done.

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MTP installs are fast. Just use MTP

It's already functional. No registry muckery. If someone can't get this right they have no business with FTP. And the MTP protocol works well. The MTP in tinfoil is great. Install,rip,sd,firmware all right there. Last I looked NUTs "driver" was just a registry entry.. But i don't like running stuff like that on my PC. MTP just requires a USB cable.

Fast & Easiest Method:

That's why I have a dedicated 4TB external hard drive just for my Switch.
I just unplug from my PC then connect USB to my switch DOCK for install. I can install ~8GB base game files within 5mins or less.

I just connect switch to pc, start tinfoil, open switch on pc, drag n drop games to install folder, done.
Great to hear that Tinfoil via USB works well for you guys, this thread is an alternate method. If you don't need it, great. Discussing how USB works for you isn't needed.

• Haha
Reactions: Krazyeye

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me everything switch related is stored on my NAS (from torrent download and cartridge dump) so can't bother with USB. FTP is the only option for me (if they can fix smb it would be great). Speed is about 10MB/s on the unpatched v1, and 18-20MB/s on OLED.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great to hear that Tinfoil via USB works well for you guys, this thread is an alternate method. If you don't need it, great. Discussing how USB works for you isn't needed.

It's good to have the other methods discussed as well. That way some noobs get all pertinent information in one thread instead of just your opinion. It doesn't really matter where you want the conversation to go. That's the beauty of a forum. USB works way better for noobs. And NUT install messes with your registry. That is something that might bother some. It should be mentioned..

Besides,if you're installing through the LAN like your title says you're installing through USB anyway.

You mean WAN.

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's good to have the other methods discussed as well. That way some noobs get all pertinent information in one thread instead of just your opinion. It doesn't really matter where you want the conversation to go.
And there are plenty of threads to discuss USB installs. This one is intended to present a solution over LAN rather than note what method is best for what person or the merits of one solution over the other.
And NUT install messes with your registry. That is something that might bother some. It should be mentioned..
Have details on this? Every Windows app can use the registry. Unless run with admin rights it should not be able to touch anything but its own section of the registry.
Besides,if you're installing through the LAN like your title says you're installing through USB anyway.

You mean WAN.
I mean LAN (Local Area Network). WAN (Wide Area Network) is anything outside my network IE: the public internet. Connecting to my LAN via Ethernet through a USB adapter or dock vs WiFi does not change what I'm connecting to.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And there are plenty of threads to discuss USB installs. This one is intended to present a solution over LAN rather than note what method is best for what person or the merits of one solution over the other.

Have details on this? Every Windows app can use the registry. Unless run with admin rights it should not be able to touch anything but its own section of the registry.

I mean LAN (Local Area Network). WAN (Wide Area Network) is anything outside my network IE: the public internet. Connecting to my LAN via Ethernet through a USB adapter or dock vs WiFi does not change what I'm connecting to.
Having all the info in one place is good for everyone. You don't get to dictate what people say. Try to include the other options. That way you have complete information. It's this BS that happens all the time here. You shouldn't have a SXOS thread without mentioning that atmo is an option for example. People think their way is better. And id may be,for them. Just a small blurb that MTP is effective and already set up in your PC is helpful and noob friendly. Sorry if your ego doesn't appreciate it

There was details in the release notes. about the registry entry. Blawar also commented on it before. I know all software has access but it's a deal breaker for some. It is homebrew and definately shady in origin after all.

If you have a Ethernet adapter, you are tethered. Your focus is on WiFI implementation. That should be reflected in the title.

NUT implementaton sucks. The NAT storage with FTP.. fine. I get it. But NUT itself is unrefined. There is tons of pages on it's issues. MTP is clean and fast. Just saying.

Reactions: Krazyeye

l7777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having all the info in one place is good for everyone. You don't get to dictate what people say. Try to include the other options. That way you have complete information. It's this BS that happens all the time here. You shouldn't have a SXOS thread without mentioning that atmo is an option for example. People think their way is better. And id may be,for them. Just a small blurb that MTP is effective and already set up in your PC is helpful and noob friendly. Sorry if your ego doesn't appreciate it

If you have a Ethernet adapter, you are tethered. Your focus is on WiFI implementation. That should be reflected in the title.
I think you should re-read my OP. It is a statement of my experience and how to do something, nothing more, nothing less. I posted it to share the info. Everyone is free to determine if it is helpful to them or not. You came in and posted an opinion. I have no ego problems, was going to keep the thread on topic. If you want to include a tutorial on how to use Tinfoil with MTP, feel free to add it.
There was details in the release notes. about the registry entry. Blawar also commented on it before. I know all software has access but it's a deal breaker for some. It is homebrew and definately shady in origin after all.

NUT implementaton sucks. The NAT storage with FTP.. fine. I get it. But NUT itself is unrefined. There is tons of pages on it's issues. MTP is clean and fast. Just saying.
How about a link? I'm happy to go read but I see nothing in the Nut documentation about the registry. Nor did I see anything malicious when I examined Nut with Process Monitor.
Closing the loop on this because I was curious. The "tinfoil_driver" is still using the libusbk driver noted elsewhere on the forum. It simply eliminates the need to use a tool like zadig or the windows device manager to tell Windows which driver to use. The tinfoil.reg file alters the idle and USB timeout settings for the Switch MTP device.

Finally, for what it's worth, because my method does not use MTP neither is needed to connect to Nut if one is concerned.

Last edited by l7777,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released