Using .SAV files on a .CIA installed game?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Reaga, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Reaga
    OP

Reaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    So the story behind this:

About 3 years ago, I had an NDS Adapter Plus that I'd used to Pokegen. I wanted to see if it worked on 3DS games, so I used it on Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Several months later, the cartridge got stolen (along with 3 other games in the same carrying case). I didn't get much farther than that test-backup because during that time Pokemon X came out, so I put down Dream Team.

I now have CFW, and just checked that I do indeed still possess the .SAV I made to see if the device worked on that cartridge. But looking at the saves made by JKSM and SVDT, I don't see a .SAV anywhere.

So now, my intention is to install Dream Team, and while I'm willing to start over if need be I'm wondering if there's any way to convert that save to a format usable by any of the working save managers. Or if there's another Save Manager that can work with .SAV files.

3DS specs (if it helps in determining the Save Manager): N3DS XL, 11.1.0-34U running the latest Luma.

2. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Bump

3. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion

Long story short, the .sav your backed up is encrypted using the private header of your cartridge.

So unless you had the private header of your cartridge, no one will be able to help you.

If you do have the private header,
    inserting the private header into the same region rom (in conjunction with using Gateway or Sky3DS), the .sav will be able to read by the rom.

Then, any save manager will be able to decrypt and backup the save for you.

MelonGx likes this.
  4. Reaga
    OP

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    So since the cartridge is who knows where, I'm starting over. Correct?

5. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    Yes, the .sav files are useless now.
    Unless you can find out the original legitimate cart, since you haven't dumped any private header.