Hacking Using Emunand on two different systems interchangeably?

archnachoofthepi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recall reading somewhere that your emunand was possibly tied to your hardware, but here's my thought process:

So I had an OG 3DS that had my profile tied to my nintendo network ID. I'm all digital with my games, and so when I set up Gateway on my 3DS XL, I wanted the sysnand profile that had all of my digital purchases to go there. My gateway is for fan translations and testing out games before I pick them up.

Anywho, I updated my emunand to the latest firmware, and then did a system transfer so that my sysnand from my old 3ds was on my 3DS XL. Well, I recently repaired an old 4.x firmware midnight purple 3DS that I'd like to use, and I began mapping out in my head how I would go about transferring emunand to emunand to use the midnight purple one for a while.

Well, I got to thinking, since my Emunand is separate from my sysnand (if I understand correctly), can I just take that memory card and boot gateway on the other 3DS? If I understand correctly, my emunand is basically a separate virtual system right? I know I'm not using the proper terms, but you get the general idea of what I'm trying to say, I'm sure.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no, emunand's are system tied, the same as sysnand, if you put the SD with one system into another 3DS and try to boot it, it will just give you a black screen, there is a big roundabout way to manually perform a systemtransfer to effectively duplicate your 3DS, but the console you dupe to looses eshop access etc, and it still doesnt make the actual emunands interchangable

archnachoofthepi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nut bunnies. Oh well, thank you! Now I'm just reading up on doing an emunand to emunand transfer. I have my card backed up completely, the only thing making it kind of complex is that I have to go from a 128gb card to a 64 gb card temporarily. I'm kind of thinking about just picking up another 128 to make the process smoother, though I'm reading that you can extract the emunand from both cards and inject the target system's emunand into the source system's sd card and use that, which would negate me having to swap the cards a bunch during the transfer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end