Using DS to manage Gateway microsd

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by player3, Nov 14, 2013.

1. player3
    OP

player3 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2006
    United States
    Would it be possible to make a homebrew app that would run on the DS (or 3ds in ds mode) which could contain a collection of 3ds files. The app might be something like moonshell or linux based. You would boot using the gateway blue card, then put the microsd card from the red card into the SD slot. Then you would simply select the desired rom, and the app would then format/write it to the sd card. This would make it possible to switch ROMs on the microsd, on the fly without needing additional hardware.

2. Inuuto

Inuuto Enigmatic

Feb 2, 2010
    United States
    Undernet
    I'm not sure why but I'm inclined to believe no. Just want to put this out there. It'll a while to move ROMs in DS mode even if it was possible. I've tried moving a ROM. It takes forever. It'd be better to buy multiple microsds.

3. SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

GBAtemp Patron
    SuzieJoeBob is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    The only thing I know of that took more time than moving a rom in Xenofile is dumping a UMD on a PSP directly to the memorystick.

4. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I don't think you can access the SD card in DS mode. There's much betters ways to go about this, your idea seems cumbersome.

Since we can get Homebrew working on the 3DS (pretty obvious from the Gateway vids and smealum's work), maybe they could create a program that allows you to take the roms from the SD card and burn it to the microSD in the Gateway.

5. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    The 3ds and ds hardware does not support very good write speeds. DSOrganize can copy a 1.3mb file in about a minute, that's about a 20kb/s write speed. Copying a 1GB file at 20kb/s would take 50000 seconds which is 833 minutes which is 13 hours.

Boy12 likes this.
  6. player3
    OP

player3 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2006
    United States
    wow. Totally understand now. Thanks.