Hacking Using both USB Ports - No dice

thefunkygibbon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I've read that people are using usb mem sticks etc as well as an external hard drive (ExtHDD) but cannot seem to get mine working at all.
Tried both a USB Stick (USBMEM)and a memcard in a usb reader (SDUSB) which both contain NAND & HBC apps.
Here are the combos i have tried (and failed)

port 2 - ExtHDD - usbloader sees it fine
---
port 2 - SDUSB - usbloader/hbc/triforce sees it fine
---
port 2 - USBMEM - triforce/hbc/triforce sees it
---
port 1 - SDUSB - hbc see's it but triforce doesnt
---
port 1 - USBMEM - nothing see's it.
---
port 1 - usb hub (powered) with both ExtHDD and USBMEM in it - nothing is seen.

so the question is.. how the heck can you use the "other port" for anything. I know you have to have a HDD plugged into the 2nd port for it to be seen but seeings as the SDUSB is seen fine in HBC one assumes it should be possible to see it in triforce (the main reason for wanting to do this really)

any help appricated and thanks for reading through my shoddy test process.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EHCI is only enabled on a single port so you can use the other one for other stuff like peripherals. Ethernet adapters, keyboards, mics, USB controllers, an additional plug to supply power to the HDD... there are many uses, however you can only ever use a single USB 2.0 memory device.

thefunkygibbon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BBking83 said:
I am well confused...

if:
QUOTE said:
port 2 - ExtHDD - usbloader sees it fine

then use that. Does the USBloader ask to format? You'll have to format it to WBFS.

yes sorry i should have been clearer. I want to use both my extHD (in port 2, obviously) and a usb stick of some description in the other port.

thefunkygibbon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fat D said:
EHCI is only enabled on a single port so you can use the other one for other stuff like peripherals. Ethernet adapters, keyboards, mics, USB controllers, an additional plug to supply power to the HDD... there are many uses, however you can only ever use a single USB 2.0 memory device.

ah ok so people who are saying they use a usb stick for triforce stuff in addition to the ext hd are big fat liars.

i'm not doubting you as you probably know more about Wii HW than I.

but how can you explain that I can use the SDUSB within HBC on the other port whilst having the ExtHDD plugged in ? and based on that wouldnt a usb hub allow you to use more than 1 storage device on that same port?

:edit: forum lagging bad-double post.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
thefunkygibbon said:
Fat D said:

ah ok so people who are saying they use a usb stick for triforce stuff in addition to the ext hd are big fat liars.

Pretty much. Only one device at a time will work.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
thefunkygibbon said:
yes sorry i should have been clearer. I want to use both my extHD (in port 2, obviously) and a usb stick of some description in the other port.
Oh, I get it now. You wanted to use both, at the same time!
tongue.gif

And here I was assuming you could only use one mem device at a time.

Looks like you'll have to fiddle around and swap devices.

ALTHOUGH! I suppose you could partition your HDD (1/2 WBFS, 1/2 FAT) and have the Triforce stuff on the FAT partition and ISOes on the WBFS??

And some USBloaders now support FAT.
wink.gif

thefunkygibbon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BBking83 said:
thefunkygibbon said:
Oh, I get it now. You wanted to use both, at the same time!
tongue.gif

And here I was assuming you could only use one mem device at a time.

Looks like you'll have to fiddle around and swap devices.

ALTHOUGH! I suppose you could partition your HDD (1/2 WBFS, 1/2 FAT) and have the Triforce stuff on the FAT partition and ISOes on the WBFS??

And some USBloaders now support FAT.
wink.gif

That would be my next step
smile.gif

QUOTE(Det1re @ Nov 9 2009, 11:49 PM)
Can I ask, what Port 2 is? To my knowledge, there are only two external USB ports: port0 (the lower one) and port1 (the upper one)...

ok ok port 0 & port1 (pedant)

Thanks chaps. I'll give up on the using both ports although its still confused me why i can use the 'non EHCI' port fine and dandy with my SDcard in a usb reader in HBC.

SanzioSan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use both USB (WBFS) which is actually an sd card in an sd card reader
and i use a USB thumb drive for my apps. The WBFS drive is on the bottom
port (when lieing ur wii down.) Latest cios 38 rev 14 . And my usb drive is on
the top port. If you have
a sd card in ur wii while u have a usb drive in it. It will read the apps from ur sd card.
At least thats what the newest HBC does for me. I have to take out my sd card
in order to see the apps on my usb.

Hope any of this helps u.

-edit-
NAND emulation doesnt work for me not even on sd cards!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay