using an SD card for wiiware and VC

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by keano16, Oct 13, 2008.

Oct 13, 2008
  1. keano16
    OP

Newcomer keano16 Newbie

United States
    Hi,

I know you guys don't like people making the same threads over and over, but, it can be daunting when looking through the threads and hearing about all different kinds of programs.

My situation is this: I have a chipped Wii and have installed the homebrew channel. I've got a 2gig SD card waiting to be used, but i'm scared of doing something wrong.

If some kind soul could tell me the folders I need to make on the sd and where I put my files I'd be grateful. Also if you could tell me what programs are "must have" I'd like to be able to play MP3's, which program is the best? When I went to the homebrew page there's so many programs available I'm not sure what I need.

I've been reading on the forums about people being "banner bricked" is there to know if this will happen before hand?

Anyway, THX and I hope you can help.

PS. Sorry for posting this, I know you guys must get peed off answering the same stuff, but I'm a bit scared of making a balls of it.

2. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Banner bricks are from unsafe wads. There is no risk of banner brickage if you only use homebrew from the homebrew channel, or other loaders.

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Well first of you got the hardest part done. Your not going to banner brick your Wii unless you start injecting roms into wads. I doubt your going to do that since you most likely don't know how to do that. Just use wiibrew.org. Look under homebrew applications and everything should be easy.

4. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Still doesn't mean every wad is safe. Try to find out if a wad is confirmed safe before you use it, most Wiiware/VC wads are fine, since they don't use custom banners. But watch for homebrew wads and the like, as they could have bad banner code, which would cause your wii to banner brick. It's safest to just use the homebrew channel rather than use homebrew wads.

5. keano16
    OP

Newcomer keano16 Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

What folders do I need to make on the SD card? I've d/l wad manager, wad installer and wad uninstaller, is that the only software I need? I also d/l dragon media player. If you could tell me whickh programs and wiiware games go in which folders I'll hopefully work the rest out myself.

Thx.

6. fly_us

Member fly_us GBAtemp Regular

United States
    only need wad manager, you can delete wad installer and uninstaller.

on the SD cards there will be follwing folder

/apps : wad manager and dragon media player goes here
    /wad : all the wads go here