userbase hackers?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RichardLaughter, Jan 7, 2012.

Jan 7, 2012

userbase hackers? by RichardLaughter at 9:57 AM (1,177 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. RichardLaughter
    OP

Member RichardLaughter GBAtemp Regular

i remember back in the ds days, there was an abundance of hackers out there wanting to hack away with their systems, they would even make teams, and do awesome things, for instance the group who put linux on the ds. now that we actually have awesome hardware to toy around with, it seems there is a lack of interest. i searched for hours for a team who was working on hacking the 3ds, but to my suprise i couldnt find a soul :O why do yall think that is? btw sorry for bad gramar/ spelling, but im on my 3ds and i dislike the keybored :[ we need swype!

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    For there to be a successful hack, one would need to find a "chink in the armor" so to speak. Even then, there is no guarantees that certain person would follow through with that exploit, or even release the exploit to the public. Then leaving the cycle to be started over by another person. At this point it's just a bunch of people banging away at the outer walls of the system looking for a weak spot.

3. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    The 3DS hasn't been hacked yet. Programming shit for the 3DS doesn't necessarily mean hacking it.

Uh hate to burst your bubble, but I think Android is a little bit too different from the 3DS's OS which is (Supposedly) based on the Wii OS.

4. RichardLaughter
    OP

lol well, i thought that there were flashcards that could "jailbreak" the 3ds firmware, or was that just a rumour? oh and i didnt mean "we need swype" as in "we need android" i meant it as "we need something that works like swype" :)

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The "teams" you refer to on the DS weren't hackers - they were programmers. Stuff like Linux can't happen until the console is exploited, and custom code (i.e. homebrew) can be run on it. The people who do that are the hackers. It is almost always only once a console is hacked by someone or other that interest picks up in that device. Once code can be run, other hackers start using that ability to poke around the hardware more, figure out how everything works, how to do all the cool stuff. They document that for others. Then the programmers step in and start creating stuff; this could include a Linux port, will probably include a bunch of games, maybe a few useful apps like media players or a YouTube app or stuff like that.

EDIT: The only flashcards that work on the 3DS do so in DS mode i.e. they can only run DS homebrew and DS ROMs. I think there is one in DSi mode (iEvo), but that's not a huge step up from DS mode, and still nowhere near 3DS mode, which is needed for really cool stuff - to actually make use of hardware present in the 3DS that wasn't in the DS(i), you need 3DS mode.

6. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Then you wasted hours of your life. (Almost) All DS hacking groups are working on hacking the 3ds, but they are keeping progress, that is if they have any, secret because little is actually know so far - the 3ds's code almost completely changed from the ds so it may take another 2 years before there is a card capable of running 3ds roms. Currently save files cannot be modified without "corrupting" the save, so there is no possible way in atm until save file hacking begins.

7. RichardLaughter
    OP

lol im not even worried about roms. :D thats the least of my concerns. i wont specify what im working on, cause i too want to lay low, but im just in it for the props not free games. all i need is someone to crack that code, and then i can attempt to remove to os }:)

8. SifJar

United Kingdom
    There are plenty of exploit vectors other than save file hacking.

9. RichardLaughter
    OP

also would like to point out, progress isnt made unless you share :P so really the people who are working on it and being secretive are being counter productive.

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    No. There is zero point sharing progress until it is usable. Otherwise you're just informing Nintendo what you've discovered and thus where they need to tighten security. So sharing hints about an exploit or whatever is plain stupid.

There is lots of information being shared here though: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

11. andibad

Member andibad Soon™

Indonesia
    yes for now no any sharing progress, since they still to make it usable, but don't know come, and 3dbrew is a best resource about 3DS hacking but not mean hack 3DS, just information anout some 3DS. is usefull document.

12. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I was surprised to see six or seven posts before this website address was linked????