Used WiiSCU to attain 4.2 Wii Shop Channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Oxa, Nov 5, 2009.

Nov 5, 2009
  1. Oxa
    OP

Newcomer Oxa Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

United States
    Hello. I recently updated my Wii Shop Channel while keeping System Menu 4.1. However, I wanted to ask because my Nintendo Channel says I need to update my Nintendo Channel through Wii Shop Channel. My question starts here: Is it safe to update the Nintendo Channel? Or do I need to update my Nintendo channel through Homebrew?

This all ties into the same frustration that I was a legit Nintendo user. I bought several titles and didn't have enough space on my internal memory to keep them on my wii, at the time I had a smaller sized SD card and could only fit a few of the titles on the SD card. This resulted in me having to delete them from my wii. I never expected Nintendo to block me out of the Wii Shop completely after the 4.2 bullsh*t until I updated the wii.

This left me without possibilities to get the games I bought back on my new SD card until I found a way to update JUST the Shop Channel. It left me time to think, don't people tend to use WAD Manager to install Wiiware titles? So during the downtime, I downloaded Tetris Party with a torrent, tried to install it with WAD Manager 1.5 using IOS35??? I couldn't install it because of a ret = -2011 error. What causes that error?

I guess the IOS stuff confuses me just a little. In terms of I am not a computer person, I still have USB Loader GX and Homebrew channel, both still work after the Wii Shop Channel update through WiiSCU.

I am further interested in modding my wii, I want to install Wiiware wads just because who knows when Nintendo is going to try to block me from the Wii Shop again. What is -2011 error, how do I fix it, and is something missing? Will installing another IOS cause it to mess with the IOS I am using to work my Usb Loader GX, or can I have multiple IOS on it? I was reading this guide. It says to use IOS35 to install Tetris Party? But I get a -2011 error.

Oh yeah, my original question, because it's important, can I update my Nintendo Channel from the 4.2 Shop? Or will Nintendo try to update my system menu when I give them the authority to update the channel?

2. Unfortune

Member Unfortune GBAtemp Fan

Pakistan
    ya its safe to update with the wii shop channel.

also you probably havent installed cios yet.

3. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    your ios35 isn't bugged. why would you use that to install a wad anyway. use a bugged ios

249 for example

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The Shop Channel requires a System Update (or at least requires you to install the new version manually). The Nintendo Channel can be downloaded from the shop channel without causing anything else to update. The same holds true for any other title in the shop.

5. Oxa
    OP

United States

I'd like to thank you both for your replies. I'm going to try this update.

6. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    wad manager requires a bugged ios. it cares less about what ios whatever you're installing uses. if wad manager itself isn't using a bugged ios, it can't do anything useful to you.

so use a bugged ios to install your shit.

if you've got usb loader gx loading your junk, it means that you've got a bugged ios. use that one.

IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249 IOS249

7. Oxa
    OP

United States

Oh okay. Thanks... See I modded the wii a long time ago and I like forgot how I even did it. [​IMG] Thanks. I'm really a scatterbrain, now it works! Thanks for your help too! I understand now. :3

Edit:

Okay, so I moved Tetris Party onto my SD card to save space. The only problem now is that "Failed to launch." Appears when loading from SD. Is there a way around this? I read around in other topics that it has to do with my IOS60 needing to be bugged. I also read around that I shouldn't touch IOS60 since i'm on 4.1.

Edit:

Well I tried moving the data back to my system menu, however it won't budge off my SD card now. :/ Won't go back on the system menu. ^^; Guess if there's no way to make it launch by SD I could always just use the WAD Manager to uninstall/reinstall as needed. However, wouldn't I lose my save data if I did it that way?

8. madcapslaugh

Newcomer madcapslaugh Member

Israel
    you need to installed a patched version of IOS60, never delete IOS60, that will brick your system, but installing a patched copy over a regular copy is ok