Use video as screensaver

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm searching for a program that has the capability to take video clips and use them as a screensaver.
There is a program called iscreensaver that can do it but I'm looking for an open source alternative and iscreensaver costs anywhere from 35 to 70 dollars.
Also Kodi has the capability with an add-on but I'm looking for software that just does screensavers and nothing else. Don't really want to leave kodi running all the time.
Another possibility I found is using VLC. It has the option to use any video as desktop wallpaper but that's not what I'm looking for either. By the way, I think there are one or 2 other programs that can do the wallpaper trick too.
My OS is windows 8.1 (64bit) Thank you.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not open source, but Wallpaper Engine is nice also like $4 and on steam. Also Rainmeter is great too

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not open source, but Wallpaper Engine is nice also like $4 and on steam. Also Rainmeter is great too
I tried wallpaper engine before. It's impressive but I'm not a fan of steam. Rainmeter sounds interesting though. I just read of another option too. I may look into it. It's called InstantStorm.
Thank you for the reply.

Reactions: Mythical

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possible alternative.
There are things that will render videos as an exe (never used any -- I normally just need a slideshow so go that way, and https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable exists if I somehow can't control a machine but need to be assured a video will work on it). As scr are just exe with a different extension then a quick rename will hopefully get you there (it was once a security trouble for some so newer Windows might have stopped it).

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
As scr are just exe with a different extension then a quick rename will hopefully get you there

only part true, a screensaver needs to be run with command-line arguments, either /s /t or something else (can't remember) a plain .exe will run from the settings screen if it can't process these as it will try to run in the preview window (which it probably can't do).

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible alternative.
There are things that will render videos as an exe (never used any -- I normally just need a slideshow so go that way, and https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable exists if I somehow can't control a machine but need to be assured a video will work on it). As scr are just exe with a different extension then a quick rename will hopefully get you there (it was once a security trouble for some so newer Windows might have stopped it).
Ok thank you fast, definitely worth a shot. I've got regular vlc and it works great in applying my video as wallpaper but not as scr. Is that what vlc portable does?
only part true, a screensaver needs to be run with command-line arguments, either /s /t or something else (can't remember) a plain .exe will run from the settings screen if it can't process these as it will try to run in the preview window (which it probably can't do).
Thank you spinal_cord, I did not realize that. I'm a little in over my head when it comes to command line arguments. Ive only ever used them when I needed to do something that I couldn't get done by any other means and I would just find a tutorial /walkthough to guide me through it.
What do you guys think about instant storm? I don't think It's open source but it's free. The negative side is it's flash based. Many people say flash is a security risk. https://instantstorm.com/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thank you fast, definitely worth a shot. I've got regular vlc and it works great in applying my video as wallpaper but not as scr. Is that what vlc portable does?

Thank you spinal_cord, I did not realize that. I'm a little in over my head when it comes to command line arguments. Ive only ever used them when I needed to do something that I couldn't get done by any other means and I would just find a tutorial /walkthough to guide me through it.
What do you guys think about instant storm? I don't think It's open source but it's free. The negative side is it's flash based. Many people say flash is a security risk. https://instantstorm.com/

I don't know that it has such a feature. Portable applications (what that site does, though it is far from the only one) are programs that run without installing or touching the registry. Most that use them keep them on a USB or something and run it so they have all the functionality of said programs on any random PC they rock up to and can run things from a USB on. I was just mentioning it as that is as close as I ever get to running a full video as a screensaver. Stuff like irfranview though will do a slideshow as an exe (had to make one the other week as Windows 10's native slideshow is woefully poor) being the part I missed out of that.

As for command line arguments then they are nothing to fear, and well worth getting to grips with at least the ability to run programs and navigate around.

Another alternative which might be easier still
https://superuser.com/questions/538146/run-a-batch-cmd-upon-screensaver

Reactions: zomborg

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know that it has such a feature. Portable applications (what that site does, though it is far from the only one) are programs that run without installing or touching the registry. Most that use them keep them on a USB or something and run it so they have all the functionality of said programs on any random PC they rock up to and can run things from a USB on. I was just mentioning it as that is as close as I ever get to running a full video as a screensaver. Stuff like irfranview though will do a slideshow as an exe (had to make one the other week as Windows 10's native slideshow is woefully poor) being the part I missed out of that.

As for command line arguments then they are nothing to fear, and well worth getting to grips with at least the ability to run programs and navigate around.

Another alternative which might be easier still
https://superuser.com/questions/538146/run-a-batch-cmd-upon-screensaver
I really appreciate the advice and yes your right, I really should learn more about command line. On your mention of portable apps I have one that I use often, it's called revo Uninstaller. Being portable really comes in handy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1