Hardware Use the same sensor bar on two consoles?

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have a Wii and a Wii U and still use both but one thing annoys me; I have to plug the sensor bar into the console I want to use at the time and it's hard considering where my consoles are, is there a dongle or something like that so I can have the same sensor bar plugged into both consoles at the same time?

Edit: Yes I know how the sensor bar works no need to explain how it works.

Last edited by IC_,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wii and a Wii U and still use both but one thing annoys me; I have to plug the sensor bar into the console I want to use at the time and it's hard considering where my consoles are, is there a dongle or something like that so I can have the same sensor bar plugged into both consoles at the same time?
Leave the sensor in the wii you don't technically need it for the WiiU as the WiiU gamepad has a sensor bar built in just point your wiimote at the WiiU gamepad instead of the TV. Another option is leave it in the wii and when using the wiiu place two tealight candles at each end of the sensor bar and light them as they also rather bizarrely will work instead of the sesnsor bar. Third and easier option just buy another sensor bar you can pick them up mega cheap from ebay they cost as little as 1.50 pounds here on ebay uk.

At the bottom of this link it tells you about using candles lol https://www.cnet.com/news/replace-your-wii-sensor-bar-romantically/

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the sensor bar doesn't need to be connected to the console, it's just a set of lights that get power from the console

the easiest solution would be to get a wireless one,
or a usb powered one that you can plug into an available usb port, most tvs got a service only usb port that you can use it to power something.. (or just connect it to a phone charger or outlet)
if you are into electronics, i guess you could mod the current one you got to use batteries or even a usb powered mod...

Reactions: dimmidice

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned by migles, the sensor bar doesn't output any data to the Wii whatsoever, it just pulls power and that's it. All the sensory data is done by the Wiimotes themselves (it's why you can kind of use 2 candles as a sort of janky sensor bar if you're in a bind and don't have one).

Buy a USB one, and plug it into your TV or use a USB adapter and plug it into the wall. It'll work just fine between the two.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Leave the sensor in the wii you don't technically need it for the WiiU as the WiiU gamepad has a sensor bar built in just point your wiimote at the WiiU gamepad instead of the TV. Another option is leave it in the wii and when using the wiiu place two tealight candles at each end of the sensor bar and light them as they also rather bizarrely will work instead of the sesnsor bar. Third and easier option just buy another sensor bar you can pick them up mega cheap from ebay they cost as little as 1.50 pounds here on ebay uk.

At the bottom of this link it tells you about using candles lol https://www.cnet.com/news/replace-your-wii-sensor-bar-romantically/
I actually have two sensor bars but will the Wii remotes function properly when both sensor bars are on?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because sometimes I use my Wii as a DS Download Station and more often my roommate is using the Wii U when I'm using the Wii
Yes but i guess you are using two different tvs then so a sensor bar under each tv will work with zero issues. Remember the sensor bar is nothing more than a light omitting device it does nothing else and that is why two candles work so the fact nintendo called it a sensor bar is a bit missleading lol.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes but i guess you are using two different tvs then so a sensor bar under each tv will work with zero issues. Remember the sensor bar is nothing more than a light omitting device it does nothing else and that is why two candles work so the fact nintendo called it a sensor bar is a bit missleading lol.
Same TV

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can't connect Wiimotes to two consoles at the same time, so there would be 0 interference whatsoever.
I have 3 Wii remotes one for my Wii and 2 for Wii U
I guess the best thing for me would be a USB to sensor bar dongle but I don't know if that exists and I don't have the tools to make one myself

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I have 3 Wii remotes one for my Wii and 2 for Wii U
I guess the best thing for me would be a USB to sensor bar dongle but I don't know if that exists and I don't have the tools to make one myself
You can just buy a USB sensor bar, they're legit like $2 max at various shops online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended