USB sockets not working...common problem?

nine0nine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
My Gen1 switch doesn't seem to recognize anything in the USB sockets on the dock, nor the USB-C socket on the bottom of the unit. Charging seems to be fine, however.
Has anyone seen this issue before? I've tried 2 different USB drum controllers, my USB flash drive, and an 8bitdo controller via USB cable, and nothing is picked up.

I'm guessing there's a controller chip for the USB which could be goosed, the switch spends the majority of its time docked so I doubt the socket has worn out.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can confirm the cause of the problem?

My first instinct would be the reboot the console, but without the USB socket I won't be able to boot up into recovery etc.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It isn't uncommon for USB-C ports to actually end up "clogged". If you haven't yet I would take a (preferably non-conductive) bit of something... like a plastic dental flosser or a wooden toothpick and carefully scrape along the inside of the port. You can theoretically use a pin or one of those little tools used to pop open simcard slots on phones if you find the others to be too big but be extra careful to not scrape anything.

You can also try to clean it out with a can of compressed air.

goma341

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It happen with my first switch after a random power failure, none of the usb ports works after that, the solution for me was changing to another switch, i tried every solution possible, but nothing work, i hope its not the same as yours, but i want to share my problem

nine0nine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
did yours still charge? I have tried cleaning the socket as suggested above, but sadly no different.

I may try contacting a repair site, I really dont want to have to get another switch and hack it, no idea how that works these days.

Reactions: impeeza

goma341

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
did yours still charge? I have tried cleaning the socket as suggested above, but sadly no different.

I may try contacting a repair site, I really dont want to have to get another switch and hack it, no idea how that works these days.
Yep it charge, but i've changed mi switch since then, maybe your switch is easily fixeable

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My Gen1 switch doesn't seem to recognize anything in the USB sockets on the dock, nor the USB-C socket on the bottom of the unit. Charging seems to be fine, however.
Has anyone seen this issue before? I've tried 2 different USB drum controllers, my USB flash drive, and an 8bitdo controller via USB cable, and nothing is picked up.

I'm guessing there's a controller chip for the USB which could be goosed, the switch spends the majority of its time docked so I doubt the socket has worn out.

My first instinct would be the reboot the console, but without the USB socket I won't be able to boot up into recovery etc.
Did you ever solved it or figured out the cause of the problem? Having this exact same issue, working and docking works but no data is transferred through the USB sockets. Really no idea how it got busted.
Post automatically merged:

Vladjaye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to restart it. I had a weird bug on some Erista consoles, where USB drives would not work until I restart he console.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
It could be that some pins on the USB-C connect disattached themselves from the motherboard.
The connector endures some mechanical stress everytime you insert a USB cable into it at a slight angle.
There are several power pins on the USB-C connector but there is only 2 unique pins for the datalines.
If one of those detaches, then you get the problems you describe.
A visual inspection would quickly reveal if there is a problem with the connector.
Another issue could be that PI3USB chip or one of the filters broke down.
The Switch uses that chip to Switch between USB and video output.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It isn't uncommon for USB-C ports to actually end up "clogged". If you haven't yet I would take a (preferably non-conductive) bit of something... like a plastic dental flosser or a wooden toothpick and carefully scrape along the inside of the port. You can theoretically use a pin or one of those little tools used to pop open simcard slots on phones if you find the others to be too big but be extra careful to not scrape anything.

You can also try to clean it out with a can of compressed air.
NOOOOOOO, don't shove things in your port. You can buy WD40 Contact Cleaner which is designed exactly for things like this:

https://wd40.co.uk/product/fast-drying-contact-cleaner/

There's No chance of damaging your port this way and it's non-conductive so you won't short anything out.

Reactions: impeeza and BigOnYa

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Try to restart it. I had a weird bug on some Erista consoles, where USB drives would not work until I restart he console.
Like, rebooting the console of factory resetting it? Already tried rebooting several times but not formatting since I don't want to deal with Nintendo's mess of save backup system.
It could be that some pins on the USB-C connect disattached themselves from the motherboard.
The connector endures some mechanical stress everytime you insert a USB cable into it at a slight angle.
There are several power pins on the USB-C connector but there is only 2 unique pins for the datalines.
If one of those detaches, then you get the problems you describe.
A visual inspection would quickly reveal if there is a problem with the connector.
Another issue could be that PI3USB chip or one of the filters broke down.
The Switch uses that chip to Switch between USB and video output.
Thank you for the insight!

Vladjaye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like, rebooting the console of factory resetting it? Already tried rebooting several times but not formatting since I don't want to deal with Nintendo's mess of save backup system.

Thank you for the insight!
Yeah, like just rebooting. For me it happened quite a couple of times where Erista console, after idling for a days, just would not respond to anything usb, but charging. Simple power cycle always helps for me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
NOOOOOOO, don't shove things in your port. You can buy WD40 Contact Cleaner which is designed exactly for things like this:

https://wd40.co.uk/product/fast-drying-contact-cleaner/

There's No chance of damaging your port this way and it's non-conductive so you won't short anything out.
Contact cleaner is not really meant for things like this, yes it will clean dirty contacts, but it won't physically clean out lint and dust, which is what tends to get trapped in ports. A toothpick will not harm the port, toothpicks are very flimsy.

Since you mentioned the dock, does that mean it still docks?
It's very unusual for the dock to work, but the USB ports not to work. Typically, if there's an issue with the USB-C port, it won't dock or fast charge and no USB devices will work.

nine0nine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
yeah, it still charges, we rarely use it undocked and actually I only noticed the issue when trying to use a USB drum and initially thought it was just the drum that was broken but a few days later I tried to install a few nsp via usb and noticed it wasnt reading the thumbdrive too.

Once the spring festival is over I am going to take the plunge and reset the console to see if that will fix it, if not I'll see about finding a repair place to look at it.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, it still charges, we rarely use it undocked and actually I only noticed the issue when trying to use a USB drum and initially thought it was just the drum that was broken but a few days later I tried to install a few nsp via usb and noticed it wasnt reading the thumbdrive too.

Once the spring festival is over I am going to take the plunge and reset the console to see if that will fix it, if not I'll see about finding a repair place to look at it.
If you have "Kosmos Toolbox" installed, you can reboot the switch to CFW (Fusee, or any payload), without the need of pushing a payload by way of the USB port. Helpful for changing sd cards on the fly. Sorry took some fast pics n they are sh*t. Good luck.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: binkinator

funnybean

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I am having the very same issue as you do sir. Charging works, Docking works, but for anything concerns usb data transfer doesnt work. I tried using a sx pro injector to chainload Atmosphere and I think this is even before the actual system load, but stucked in RCM mode. I tried connecting switch with a pro controller cable to a Windows PC, pops up unknown USB Device, Description Failed so and so. I restored the system and connect a pro controller from a usb port on the Dock, didn't work.

So I ordered some usb c male test pad so I can test the continuity between the motherboard and the socket.
If socket is ok then maybe proceed to measure pins on m92t36 and p13usb ?

Any idea, help is appreciated.

Reactions: nine0nine

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
When you mentioned docking works that means m92t36 and pi3usb should be both functioning. usb data lines goes into none of those two chip but choke filters and directly into CPU. So if you having issue sending payload or PC recognize, most case is the usb port, choke filters or CPU side.
1678548283777.png

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
you shot on the right place, generally if is charging (normally slow) but no data at all, generally is a damage of the "filters" ( the little square with 4 connections) at top of the picture, or a damage of the USB chip.

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am having the very same issue as you do sir. Charging works, Docking works, but for anything concerns usb data transfer doesnt work. I tried using a sx pro injector to chainload Atmosphere and I think this is even before the actual system load, but stucked in RCM mode. I tried connecting switch with a pro controller cable to a Windows PC, pops up unknown USB Device, Description Failed so and so. I restored the system and connect a pro controller from a usb port on the Dock, didn't work.

So I ordered some usb c male test pad so I can test the continuity between the motherboard and the socket.

Any idea, help is appreciated
I had the same problem and I guess the problem just was that it was dirty. The guy opened it up, checked that everything worked correctly, and after sending it to me worked perfectly. He didn't changed anything so I guess the problem was some dust. Telling you as if may be your case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay