USB loading problems in vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by josj, Sep 30, 2013.

1. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
    Hi.
    I have had a softmodded Wii for a long time, and now I have bought a Wii U. I wanted to be able to play all my backup games from the old Wii, so I went ahead reading the guides about softmodding.

This is what I have done:
    *Installed HBC using bathaxx
    *Installed "IOS236 Installer MOD v8 Special vWii Edition"
    *Used BlueDump to dump IOS 56,57,58
    *Installed d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii in slot 249, 250, 251 using the WADs from the previous step
    *Put the latest versions of WiiFlow, USB-Loader GX and cfgUsbloader on the SD.
    *Connected my old disk. At first I had power problems because it doesn't have a Y cable. So I connected it using a USB hub with external power.

I am having trouble starting games from the USB loaders. GX and cfg are not detecting the disk at all. WiiFlow detects the disk and all games, but if I try to start a game, I just get a black screen and after a while I am returned to the system menu.
    I have also tried with d2x-v10-beta52-vWii in slot 249, but that did not make any difference.

Is there something obvious I am doing wrong? Could the USB hub cause this? I can see the disk and browse it using WiiXplorer.

2. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
    No obvious errors then, I suppose.
    Is anyone successfully running a disk powered by a USB hub, or should I try to get a Y-cable instead?

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I think hubs are not working.
    You can try it on Wii to see if it works and see if the problem is the hub or the loader/hdd/power/cable on WiiU.

4. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
    Good idea, I'll try that. The HDD is detected in both Wii U and vWii, but loaders aren't working.

5. tOPO

tOPO Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2007

I am having this exact same problem. Did you find a solution?

EDIT: Solved. Heres how i did it.

1. Google "FAT32_GUI_Formatter". Run it.
    2. Format your drive using 32768 Allocation unit size.
    3. Install/transfer games using Wii Backup Manager (i used build 79)
    4. Make sure you are NOT using a usb hub (i was and it didnt work), but instead a Y cable. In my case i used a Micro USB- female USB > Male USB-Dual Male USB.

I'm using d2x-v10-beta52-vWii, worked, so i havent gone back to beta53, i see no need atm.

6. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
    Thank's, I'll try that. I got a Y cable, but still had problems after that. Haven't been working on it lately though.

7. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
    I tried formatting the disk as FAT32 instead, but it behaves exactly the same. WiiU detects the disk, and asks to format it. WiiXplorer finds the disk, and I can see wbfs folder with all games. WiiFlow finds the disk and all games, but when I try to start a game, it just goes black and after a while I am sent back to the system menu.
    USBLoader GX and cfg USB Loader don't find the disk or any games.
    I am now using d2x beta52 in slot 249, and beta53-alt in slot 250, but that hasn't made any difference either.

8. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
  9. josj
    OP

josj Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2011
    Seems to be working when I'm using an old 3.5" disk with external power. So either my 2.5" doesn't work properly with vWii, or there's somethin wrong with the Y cable