USB Loaders not showing games on USB

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Cubbz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    For some reason, I cannot get any USB Loader (USBLoader GX, Wiiflow etc) to detect the games on my USB stick. I have tried swapping USB port, Re-installing the apps completely and following the softmod guide. Whenever I try to view Wii games on USBLoader GX, it says "USB Device not initialised. Switching to channel list mode". I'm a bit lost D:

Last edited by Cubbz, Aug 12, 2018
  2. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Also, here is a syscheck just incase...

3. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @OP
    Try both ports, if neither works. Then make sure your USB is formatted in FAT32 or NTFS and not exFAT.

4. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have just tried the other port (the one in the middle of the wii) and it had a timer on startup of the loader saying "waiting for HDD". I changed the port settings to both but it still didn't work. My Flash Drive is already formatted to FAT32. Would formatting it to NTFS make a difference?

5. FancyNintendoGamer567

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @Cubbz I can't see what's wrong then. Ask someone like GreyWolf or Cyan and see if they can fix your problem.

6. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ok, I'll try. Thank you for trying to help me!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@Cyan @GreyWolf , would you be able to help?

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    first sentence .... Stick.
    Please, don't use FLASH DRIVES ! problem solved.

8. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Oh I see! Sorry, I didn't know that they wouldn't work... Is there a maximum capacity that the Wii can handle? The only Hard Drive I have to hand is something like 6TB

9. FancyNintendoGamer567

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    @Cubbz That will probably depends on the filesystem your HDD uses. FAT32 has a limit of 2TB but NTFS has a usual limit of 16TB (minus 4KB).

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    FAT32 has a limit of 16TB (for now).
    NTFS has a limit based on cluster size : theoretically, up to 2^64, but it actually depends which OS you use as it's not fully supported.

I know people used 4TB and 5TB, but I don't think I had report of 6TB yet. Anyway, it should work too.
    be sure to make a single partition (one big NTFS ?) of you can't find how to make one big FAT32. But you won't be able to play gamecube games with NTFS.
    you could make multiple partition, but there's a bug in one of the USBLoaders (usbloadergx) if you use mutliple different partition type with GPT.

I don't know why people like to use drive this big. To me, it's only a matter or time until it get corrupted and you lose 6TB at once.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 12, 2018
  11. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    You can always partition the 6TB drive as a smaller one I guess if it doesn't work as the full size.

Sorry, I don't know a way to get flash drives to work. They obviously work with at least IOS59, though, since Dragon Quest X comes with a flash drive. I've been able to get all 10 of the flash drives I have to work under USB Loader GX but not when the game actually boots. It could be a bug in the cIOS code.

12. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I made a NTFS partition of 500GB since I won't be using alot of space. I plugged in the hard drive and it finally detected the games. However, it kicks me back to Homebrew when I try to launch a game.

13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I just thought about something !
    I think the cIOS code has a problem, specifically with write mode (the flash drives often freeze when downloading covers, or dumping a game). even if sometime it can't even detect the device but it's probably another issue.
    someone made me remember that USBloaderGX always save the GXGlobal.cfg at loader's exit, even if there's no need and no changes made in the setting. Maybe the flash is stuck in the "cfg file writing" step and that's why it's not launching the game ? read mode should work, the issue is the write mode. it could be related! the user asked me if I could prevent writing of the setting if not needed, I'll see if I can do it and if it fixes flash drives (as long as there's no setting changes, and SD card is used to store the settings !) I never thought about asking if users with blackscreen at launch were using SD card or only flash.

You are missing a cIOS.
    you probably have a stub slot249. I'll add a stub detection to warn the user instead of rebooting.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 13, 2018
  14. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    According to syscheck:
    IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0

Is this wrong?

15. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ah, no it's good.
    then, rebooting is because the console can't find the game.

either the iso is bad, or not in the right folder (maybe you have the folder, but not the .wbfs file in it?), or the device is not working fine with cIOS (like flash drives, they tend to disconnect with cIOS reloading before game launching)
    if it's a big drive, I suppose it has its own power supply, right?

16. Cubbz
    OP

Cubbz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I've tried with all 6 games, so it might not be the iso. Weirdly, I managed to play Wii sports from the loader last night, but now it does not work. I have not made any changes to the drive either..
    The drive just has a folder named "wbfs" on the root, and inside are 6 folders that contain the .wbfs file for each game. Also in the wbfs folder is the disc.info file.
    And yeah, the drive has it's own power supply.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you edited the partition since yesterday ? or you already had the 500GB partition working?

Try to force a partition refresh : settings > hdd menu > click on the first option to reload partitions, set it to the proper one.
    I hope it's just this, it might remember you have games on a different partition number.

verify your games are not write protected too. I think it's only a FAT32 bug, so maybe NTFS is not affected, but it's always good to eliminate all possibilities.

18. Sathya

Sathya GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    if you have cios 249 use CfG usbloader. pretty sure solve your problem. for usb loader gx, try to install ios 236 first. this is my experience, believe it or not its work for me.
    just for test, you can try also install wii game to your sd card with wiibackup manager and load it via cfg usb loader or wiiflow. remember, just for test. because sd card is not enaugh for all of your wii games.

Last edited by Sathya, Aug 13, 2018
  19. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    236 will do nothing, that slot is unused for years.
    "249" is a useless info. what's important is what's inside.

he has d2x v10 r52, base56.
    he could try a slot where he has d2x based on IOS57 instead, some games don't work with base56.
    but adding cIOS on other unloaded slots has no meaning or purpose. the wii only use and see one slot at a time. slot236 was used by old wad managers, never by usbloaders.

trying another device, yeah it could be an idea to see if the problem is the device or a setting. but at the end, we need to make it work on his hdd. it used to work, the loader detects the games.

what you can check :
    which IOS is set in the loader ? 58 or 249 ? (settings>credit, or setting>loader settings>loader's IOS)
    set it to 249 or 250.
    be sure the "game's IOS" is set to the same slot.

this way, the loader will use that slot from the start and it will prevent a IOS reload at loader's exit, right before launching the game.
    Maybe the drive lose its connection at IOS reload step, so let's be sure there's no reload at all. if it indeed has a reload issue and doesn't work with d2x, it will have issues detecting the drive at loader's launch.

20. Sathya

Sathya GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    i believe im stupid in here and you are smarter than me. but now i just only want to share my experience, when i try to play wii games from usb loader gx and always bac to homebrew screen. i dont know what to do like im hopeless, but in home brew screen i see the ios 236 and cios 249 installer [because i've download wii mod pack] and i just press the A button when laucnh the cios installer. and then i try to load it via usbloader gx again, and it works for the first time with MP9 games. yes wierd story but thats my true story.