Hacking USB Loader or Wiikey2?

psiko74

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on a limited budget. Should I buy the solderless Wiikey2 or an external 320gb hard drive and use usb loader? Pros/Cons?

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
+1 USB loader.

250GB Western Digital My Passport here - no problems with freezing/code dumping or anything that others with different drives have reported at times.

Lovin' it

(My Wiikey is redundant now and my Wii has forgotten it can do anything with a dvd except rip it to the HDD lol)

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB loader since you don't have to open up your wii to install it. Compatability isn't 100% RIGHT NOW THIS MINUTE but probably will be in the not so distant future(don't quote me on that one).

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Yea edit my post to usb loader.
Fast and such.

Anyway my orginal selfsoldered wiikey has servered me well for over about 2 year... and well... my laser is about the get worn out..

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
And another vote for the HDD loader.

It will load games faster.
You don't have to open your Wii
No disc switching, no burning
DVD-Rs can be damaged so easily

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB loader, I have no plans to ever burn a game again in the future (unless I can't get one to work with it that I really want)

Western Digital drives seem to be the way to go, they have a good combination of price per GB as well as seem to have perfect compatibility. I haven't heard of a single person having problems getting a WD drive to work with the USB loader (myself included) and they run games beautifully. Haven't had a single error yet and I've played games for hours off of the drive. Also, most WD drives don't require external power which is another big plus (at least for me)

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My vote goes to USB Loader. It saves money on discs
smile.gif
. But if you're one of those people who might possibly brick the Wii in some way, you should probably consider the Wiikey2 in order to boot custom autoboot discs.

Not sure if retail discs will autoboot in recovery menu if they contain a higher system firmware update than your current one.

CIJC

Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
USB loader, I have no plans to ever burn a game again in the future (unless I can't get one to work with it that I really want)

Western Digital drives seem to be the way to go, they have a good combination of price per GB as well as seem to have perfect compatibility. I haven't heard of a single person having problems getting a WD drive to work with the USB loader (myself included) and they run games beautifully. Haven't had a single error yet and I've played games for hours off of the drive. Also, most WD drives don't require external power which is another big plus (at least for me)

All the things you have said also apply to the Toshiba StorE drives!!!

they are awesome too! + the blue light matches the wii beautifully!!
biggrin.gif

I recommend the 500gb model
smile.gif

psiko74

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank You for helping me decide. Quick question though. Can i stay at 3.2 to use the loader or do I need 4.0?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q