Hacking USB Loader... my turn ;)

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AdamBrunt said:
Ok, I have all my images in SD:/images/ and set widescreen to 0.

Yet under 7.4 no cover art appears. They were appearing fine under an earlier version
frown.gif

the "widescreen" option can be removed/deleted from config.txt.

Ultimate Loader 7.3+ (7.3, 7.4), reads the setting stored in you Wii, and choose the same setting, if your Wii is set at 4:3 loader will set 4:3, if your Wii is set on 16:9 loader will set itself on 16:9.

Just make sure the locations of the pictures (4:3 + 16:9) exist on the sd-card and it should be no problems.

SwedishGojira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.svalas.net
XP
Country
Could someone please write up a short guide on how to use the ocarina function of this loader cause I don't seem to find anything useful. And please no videoguides as I'm at work and have no sound.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, another new version posted up at the auto-update site as well as the mediashare location.

For anyone that's missed the mediashare link earlier: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a6af63a...8eada0a1ae8665a
(Site is being a PITA for me right now, if you don't see v4 there now, you will soon and it is available from the auto-update system now)

This version is internally called 7.4040 and is built upon Hungryip84's last release of 7.4. The extra digits have been added to the end for granular releases as well as others that may contribute. On the mediashare link it is listed as v4.

Something VERY IMPORTANT for those of you auto-updating from a previous version, lots of things have changed with the auto-update system! First of all, the new URL format if you've set it in your config.txt no longer includes the "/boot.dol" on the end of it. If you've set the "update_dl_url" string AT ALL in your config.txt you need to either remove the "/boot.dol" from the end of the string or delete the entire string to allow the application to use it's default.

Also the new auto-update system checks for a ver.txt file in the SD:/apps/usbloader path, since this is a new file you won't have it after updating the first time! You must simply re-run the update procedure and it will see that you don't have a ver.txt file and give you a chance to force the update. If you force the update it will download the ver.txt file the second time and then you're set. If you're downloading the zip file from mediashare, the ver.txt file is included, please copy it with the .dol file!

After you've gotten it all upgraded the new system will check the ver.txt file at the URL and skip the update if your version either matches or is higher then what is available.

Also added in this release is code that notes when the network system has been started. Many people have noticed that wifi connectivity breaks when games are booted after downloading covers and such. After checking it seems anytime the network is initialized it will break the wifi connection for the game being booted. Instead of having a fix for it I have it setup to notify you if the networking stack has been started. It then gives you a choice to exit the loader, restart the wii, or boot the game anyways.

It's not a fix, but at least it warns you if the networking stack has been started.

Let me know how it works out for you! I've done a LOT of cleanup with the updating code and have done alot of testing with it, let me know how it works for you all!

lejong2002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaTaX said:
Alrighty, another new version posted up at the auto-update site as well as the mediashare location.

For anyone that's missed the mediashare link earlier: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a6af63a...8eada0a1ae8665a
(Site is being a PITA for me right now, if you don't see v4 there now, you will soon and it is available from the auto-update system now)

This version is internally called 7.4040 and is built upon Hungryip84's last release of 7.4. The extra digits have been added to the end for granular releases as well as others that may contribute. On the mediashare link it is listed as v4.

Something VERY IMPORTANT for those of you auto-updating from a previous version, lots of things have changed with the auto-update system! First of all, the new URL format if you've set it in your config.txt no longer includes the "/boot.dol" on the end of it. If you've set the "update_dl_url" string AT ALL in your config.txt you need to either remove the "/boot.dol" from the end of the string or delete the entire string to allow the application to use it's default.

Also the new auto-update system checks for a ver.txt file in the SD:/apps/usbloader path, since this is a new file you won't have it after updating the first time! You must simply re-run the update procedure and it will see that you don't have a ver.txt file and give you a chance to force the update. If you force the update it will download the ver.txt file the second time and then you're set. If you're downloading the zip file from mediashare, the ver.txt file is included, please copy it with the .dol file!

After you've gotten it all upgraded the new system will check the ver.txt file at the URL and skip the update if your version either matches or is higher then what is available.

Also added in this release is code that notes when the network system has been started. Many people have noticed that wifi connectivity breaks when games are booted after downloading covers and such. After checking it seems anytime the network is initialized it will break the wifi connection for the game being booted. Instead of having a fix for it I have it setup to notify you if the networking stack has been started. It then gives you a choice to exit the loader, restart the wii, or boot the game anyways.

It's not a fix, but at least it warns you if the networking stack has been started.

Let me know how it works out for you! I've done a LOT of cleanup with the updating code and have done alot of testing with it, let me know how it works for you all!

Good work HaTaX

Your loader gives me only 160 X 225 size images for 4:3. I wanna share 160 X 224 size images with GUI usb loader.

Could you implement this function?
rolleyes.gif

THitsu10 said:
hungyip84 said:
QUOTE(THitsu10 @ Apr 21 2009, 06:21 AM)

anyways.... I went ahead and did it myself...based on ultimate loader V7.41....this one will download box art that is 160x224 to the images folder when using 4:3 mode.....now your box arts will work with the gui-loader also....wish i knew how to do more....someday

get here

dol....http://www.mediafire.com/?kfndd3ydgme

or if you like it zipped
http://www.mediafire.com/?mbgomm1tldc

I am glad that ppl are still looking into this thread!

@Thitsu10

great job! you can try to add downloading box art that is 128 x 224 for widescreen. I think that would become the dimension for widescreen box art in GUI loader.

ok, I tweaked it a little bit more per hungry's suggestion... now downloads 160x224 when in 4:3 mode..... and 128x224 when in 16:9.... also added the version right under the Used Space .... says "UltimateLoader v7.412"

have fun
http://www.mediafire.com/?9gnewls60eh

And additionally,
I tried to change the download URL in config.txt for 3d cover images... but it did not work properly.
Any idea?

jono@home

Trophies
XP
Country
HaTaX said:

I will take a look at this later.. Good work

a feature request... I have already mention this to Hungyip, whether he will implement the following idea.. I am not sure...

I was thinking it would be easier to have config for the resize option on the images implemented into the code, as the website it come from now allows the images to be resized before download

would make things so much easier than all the different versions with different size images that are being thrown out at the moment ie. Pal 50 requires cover sizes 120 x 225

config variables example for 4:3

cvrheight = 225
cvrwidth = 160

config variables example for widescreen

wcvrheight = 225
wcvrwidth = 120

this is the url.. for the otherzone for resizing..

www.theotherzone.com/wii/resize/ {region} / {width} / {height} / { GAMEID} .png

for example 120x225 would give you this

www.theotherzone.com/wii/resize/pal/120/225/RJ2P52.png, so the old resizing method used in previous version is not needed

if anyone has time to implement this it would be great...

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking at implementing the auto resizing feature, if I do, then you'll lose the ability to set your own URL. The http server at theotherzone is running a script to resize the covers on the fly, and I'm pretty sure that other web servers are not going to be setup like that.

That being said, I will definitely look into making this part of the next release, maybe it can be turned on and off via the config.txt if you like.

Also, I haven't checked the quality of the covers, but I wonder if the resizing introduces image artifacts at all?

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
PNo4 said:
AdamBrunt said:
Ok, I have all my images in SD:/images/ and set widescreen to 0.

Yet under 7.4 no cover art appears. They were appearing fine under an earlier version
frown.gif

the "widescreen" option can be removed/deleted from config.txt.

Ultimate Loader 7.3+ (7.3, 7.4), reads the setting stored in you Wii, and choose the same setting, if your Wii is set at 4:3 loader will set 4:3, if your Wii is set on 16:9 loader will set itself on 16:9.

Just make sure the locations of the pictures (4:3 + 16:9) exist on the sd-card and it should be no problems.

Ah, ok. My Wii is set to widescreen mode so I guess I need

wimages_path = SD:/wimages/

in my config file.

What about the size of the images, do I need to change them from 160 x 225 ?

so my config.txt needs to look like:

# USBLoader config
images_path=SD:/images/
background = bg.png
layout = ultimate2
wbackground = bg216x9x.png
downloadinstall = 1
simple = 1
#

but can I get away with setting wimages_path and images_path to the same place ?

Olywa123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to thank the Dev's for all the hard work here - loving this loader for it's simplicity
smile.gif

Will continue to use this one but am keeping a close eye on the gui loader
smile.gif

Very nice,
Olywa

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
just realised I hadn't installed rev10
laugh.gif

once that was installed, with the config.txt file I posted earlier, the images now show up but are bigger than the game box on right hand side ??

Sazzles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Everything was going fine on my 1GB sd card until I moved it to my new 8gb sdhc card. Now I get a code dump every time I try to start it in the homebrew channel. Is this normal? I'm using the latest release that is posted in the first post. (7.4 based on 1.5)

I haven't tested other loaders other than the GUI Loader, but that one seems to work just fine. I moved it there using ftpii, but I don't think that could be the cause?

Sazzles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm on 3.2.
Anyway, I just reinstalled cIOS rev 10 (even though I already had it at some point since I ran this before) and now everything seems to be working fine again. (even on the SDHC, yes)

Thx for trying to help, anyway ^^

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AdamBrunt said:
1. Ah, ok. My Wii is set to widescreen mode so I guess I need
Code:

2. What about the size of the images, do I need to change them from 160 x 225 ?

3. but can I get away with setting wimages_path and images_path to the same place ?

1. yes, correct.
2. they should auto download 130x225 for widescreen
3. could be an issue to have the same directory, since 160x225 and 130x225 covers would/could overwrite each other.
So having widescreen and normal separated would be proffered.

so my config.txt needs to look like:

# USBLoader config
CODEimages_path = SD:/images/
background = bg.png
wbackground = bg216x9x.png
layout = ultimate2
downloadinstall = 1
simple = 1
Looks like it should work.

Josh192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where do you place ocarina codes on the sd card to load them, and when i save settings i get an error, also where do i place boxarts and what do i name them? I have named them after the ID numbers but nothing

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
PNo4 said:
AdamBrunt said:
1. Ah, ok. My Wii is set to widescreen mode so I guess I need
Code:

2. What about the size of the images, do I need to change them from 160 x 225 ?

3. but can I get away with setting wimages_path and images_path to the same place ?

1. yes, correct.
2. they should auto download 130x225 for widescreen
3. could be an issue to have the same directory, since 160x225 and 130x225 covers would/could overwrite each other.
So having widescreen and normal separated would be proffered.

Most of it seems to be working now (I presume 130x225 should read 120x225 as that's what I read elsewhere) except the "no image" icon is not resizing. It is definitely 120x225 in the wimages folder but it's not being picked up.

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AdamBrunt said:
Most of it seems to be working now (I presume 130x225 should read 120x225 as that's what I read elsewhere) except the "no image" icon is not resizing. It is definitely 120x225 in the wimages folder but it's not being picked up.

130x225 for NTSC Wii
120x225 for PAL Wii

I hear...

the wnoimage.png and noimage.png i think is not automatically downloaded, and i think the wnoimage that is inside the boot.dol is 130x225 i size.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PNo4 said:
the wnoimage.png and noimage.png i think is not automatically downloaded, and i think the wnoimage that is inside the boot.dol is 130x225 i size.

Correct, the wnoimage is 130x225, the regular noimage is 160x225.

In light of the network bug I've been thinking about adding an option into the game settings screen where you can turn the auto download features on and off, anyone else think that would be useful?

Also, has anyone done the update from v3 to v4 using the auto update procedure? I'd like to hear how it's working for people..

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been covered, but as of 7.4 is it safe to install/delete games through the USBLoader? I remember there were issues before...

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is safe, it was the code that was based off of Waninkoko's 1.1 loader code that had the delete problem, 1.4 and 1.5 didn't have the delete bug. You're safe!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...