• Views 7,153,428
  • Replies 29,352
  • Likes 47

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't help but wonder what this "skip VI scaling" would look like through vWii with regards to some of the things mentioned in the following thread:

I tried it with vWii, but dont see much difference. But on the other side I'm very bad at spotting such differences. If you want I can upload a version with the patch included (or maybe Confruggy or blackb0x can do this as I'm not sure if its ok if I upload this instead of them)

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How hard it is to implement a "user profile" option? I have 2 kids, and my own game saves. Each one has their own. Every time I change emunand saves location, depending on wich one will play. I'm sure, there's a way to create 'user profile choose menu' when usbloader(or game) is launching, then change the (preconfigured) emunand location for each save store.
If this was a new USB loader then I would of added profiles right from the start. But since it's not I can't easily make changes like that.

Other than UI changes causing problems for peoples themes I'd also need to add and change a lot of code. And a lot of that code is very old and very messy, so I don't like to touch it.

I tried it with vWii, but dont see much difference. But on the other side I'm very bad at spotting such differences. If you want I can upload a version with the patch included (or maybe Confruggy or blackb0x can do this as I'm not sure if its ok if I upload this instead of them)
Currently I don't think it's worth sharing, since it does have compatibility problems and I'm looking for a solution.

I know that patching VIConfigure would most likely work, but that's not easily done.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Confruggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, that's what I don't understand. It should match. However, I get a horizontal resolution of 711px.
It seems that Kirby's Epic Yarn (and probably some other games) change the video modes after startup. In Kirby's Epic Yarn at some point the value at 0x808ccb8c (which is viWidth) changes from 640 to 711. However, I wasn't able to figure out why it's doing that and how to prevent it.

upload_2021-9-16_23-55-17.png

Edit: I got it to work. By changing the instruction at 0x8067a718 from a0de000e to a0de0004 it sets viWidth to fbWidth instead the altered viWidth 711. Therefore I created this gecko code.
Code:
viWidth Patch
0467A718 A0DE0004
Using this code sets the resolution to 640*480 in Kirby's Epic Yarn. Unfortunately, I don't have a capture card, but looking at it with my eyes it looks way sharper now.

I'm not exactly sure what this instruction is for. Can someone figure out what happens there and if it possibly can be applied to other games too?

Last edited by Confruggy,
  • Love
Reactions: iGom and XFlak

Confruggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My compatibility list for patching viWidth to fbWidth so far:

Excite Truck (PAL): Doesn't work, reports as 660*448
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (NTSC): Works, reports as 608*456
Kirby's Epic Yarn (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 711*480 (can be fixed with gecko code)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Mario Kart Wii (NTSC): Works, reports as 608*456
Mario Party 9 (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*480
Metroid Prime Trilogy (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 660*448
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Super Mario Galaxy (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 686*456
Xenoblade Chronicles (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 686*456

So it's pretty much a hit and miss.

kobeskillz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My compatibility list for patching viWidth to fbWidth so far:

Excite Truck (PAL): Doesn't work, reports as 660*448
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (NTSC): Works, reports as 608*456
Kirby's Epic Yarn (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 711*480 (can be fixed with gecko code)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Mario Kart Wii (NTSC): Works, reports as 608*456
Mario Party 9 (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*480
Metroid Prime Trilogy (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 660*448
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Super Mario Galaxy (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (NTSC): Works, reports as 640*456
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 686*456
Xenoblade Chronicles (NTSC): Doesn't work, reports as 686*456

So it's pretty much a hit and miss.

Honestly my launch Wii had such god awful blurry picture than just having the 480p fix with Deflicker turned off is amazing. Soon i'll have my HDMI modded Wii so should look even better!

But i dont' think the Wii will get close to my Gamecube as far as picture quality which looks best out of any of those 6th generation consoles.

• Haha
Reactions: ChibiMofo

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a strange thing with ULGX.
I have 3 wbfs Wii games that are region free. I have checked the headers using WIT and they are ANY region. One is Top Shot Dinosaur Hunter which was only available in a region free NTSC version. When I load them in Wii Backup manager it shows them as Region Free too. But ULGX shows them as PAL.
Also 'AFL - Australian Football League' which is Australian PAL, and WIT shows as being AUS, is shown as region free by ULGX, when it should be PAL.
Hampster Heroes is a PAL exclusive, and shows in WIT as EURO. In ULGX I would expect it to show as PAL, but it shows as Region Free.
I have others like this too, but you get the idea. I've attached a txt list of my games with the headers as read by WIT.

So I guess the 'lets fix it approach' is for ULGX to show USA as NTSC-U, which it currently seems to do. To show PAL as PAL, which it seems to do. To show EUR and AUS as PAL, which it fails to do, it instead shows them as Region Free. And to show ANY as Region Free, which it fails to do, it instead shows them as PAL.

Or another approach would be if ULGX just displayed the header code, such as USA, PAL, EURO, AUS, ANY, etc, rather than converting and showing them as NTSC-U, PAL or Region Free, but not always getting it right?

I guess ultimately it would be best if ULGX simply showed games as either NTSC or PAL, because no one really cares about regions on ULGX, but some NTSC games wont play on a PAL Wii and vice versa. Although it would have to be able to work out if games that are ANY region, are actually PAL or NTSC.

Update - I think it would actually be best if ULGX used the region from wiitdb.xml as they seem to be very accurate showing NTSC-U, NTSC-J, PAL, etc. They have already worked out what type ANY region games are, for example Top Shot Dinosaur Hunter shows correctly as NTSC-U. Yeah, this looks like the best way to go if it is technically possible.

Attachments

• wit.txt
    72 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by fandango,

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try updating your titles.txt
I don't have a titles.txt, but I do have a wiitdb.xml which I only downloaded a few days ago. It doesnt look like ULGX uses wiitdb.xml to determine the region though. For example 'Top Shot Dinosaur Hunter' is NTSC-U region in wiitdb.xml, whilst ULGX says it is PAL.

Last edited by fandango,

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I can't find information if USB Loader GX supports custom titles (something kinda like custom-titles.txt with priority over wiitdb (gametdb) files).
I want to add to my library some modded stuff (mostly translations) but with cool name and art from original.
I know i can manually edit wiitdb files on my disk, but as I understand, when I update the file, all my manual changes will disappear.
I know i can add custom titles right to gametdb.com, but I have no desire to litter online database with random crap which is not needed by anyone else, and for the idea of the database itself - even harmful.
Are there any other ways to solve my problem?

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modify the titles.txt you have saved to SD or USB, just be aware that updating it will overwrite your edits

To keep that from happening I keep ALL of my working titles (the games I actually have) in CUSTOM-TITLES.TXT so nothing can be accidently overwritten. I really only use the new downloaded TITLES.TXT can catch new items or anything I've missed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't find information if USB Loader GX supports custom titles (something kinda like custom-titles.txt with priority over wiitdb (gametdb) files).
I want to add to my library some modded stuff (mostly translations) but with cool name and art from original.
I know i can manually edit wiitdb files on my disk, but as I understand, when I update the file, all my manual changes will disappear.
I know i can add custom titles right to gametdb.com, but I have no desire to litter online database with random crap which is not needed by anyone else, and for the idea of the database itself - even harmful.
Are there any other ways to solve my problem?

Did you try it? I'm pretty sure it does use the CUSTOM-TITLES.TXT because I haven't noticed the ones I've renamed not working the way I wanted them to. I'll have to pay more attention when I boot up to confirm though.

As @XFlak said, make sure to keep a copy because updating the txt file will overwrite your changes. To keep this from happening I keep all of my titles 9the games I actually have) in the CUSTOM-TITLES.TXT whether or not I've made changes.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question - we know that the upcoming version of ULGX will make DOL forwarders created with ModMii operate properly, but will it allow custom console power button functions (such as seen in Not64) to operate correctly as well rather than causing the system to crash?

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but will it allow custom console power button functions (such as seen in Not64) to operate correctly as well rather than causing the system to crash?

I don't know because I'm not sure what you mean by the power button operating correctly.

If I launch Not64 from the loaders homebrew channel and then press the power button then my Wii will power off. And that behaviour should be the same for channel forwarders, unless the forwarders got a problem.

Last edited by blackb0x,
Reactions: jackdolphin1947

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that behaviour should be the same for channel forwarders, unless the forwarders got a problem.
That's what I figured, but when I mentioned it in the ModMii thread I just get no response which implied to me that it wasn't something that was caused by the ModMii side of things (which I could be completely wrong about) despite also occurring when launched from the Wii Menu directly.

For reference, as of right now the only forwarders I've found to properly handle pressing the power button in Not64 is "Simple Forwarder Channel Creator" set to 'USB Loader GX' regardless of whether the forwarder is launched straight from the Wii Menu or through USB Loader GX.

...but AFAIK the ModMii forwarder is also the only forwarder that handles meta.xml arguments.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Nintendo Maniac It sounds like the problem is either with Not64 or the forwarder created by ModMii, since you've said that it also crashes when launched from the Wii menu.

I don't personally use channel forwarders, so I can't comment on ModMii's forwarder creator.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It's possible the modmii forwarder dol is not compatible with not64. I could never get it working properly with genplusgx, and instead used an ancient dol that only looks on the SD card and not usb, and had a text based progress bar.

BTW, the forwarder dol's created by modmii are FIX94's v12 forwarders. I compiled one ages ago with a bunch of long paths, then zeroed out the paths in the compiled dol with a hex editor. Then modmii will take user inputs for new paths and hex edits them into this dol template to create user defined custom forwarder dols.

Anyway, it should work with the vast majority of apps. However, there are two main types of forwarders, comex's and waninkoko's. I don't recall which FIX94's v12 forwarder falls under, but it's possible not64 requires the other version to operate properly.

Here in the forum's there's a v14 version of FIX94's forwarder (https://gbatemp.net/threads/pre-compiled-tested-v14-forwarder-dols-for-loaders-apps-emus.339944/). I'm not sure if the download includes the source code, but it definitely includes a bunch of compiled dols. Anyway, as of FIX94's v14 forwarder you'll find both comex and waninkoko's flavors supported. You could try hex editing these, but don't insert any bytes, just change the path and nul out anything left over from the previous path. If the original path is shorter than the new path, it will not work (without recompiling from the source code) so pick a donor dol with a long path to work with

Reactions: ca032769

jacksonf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unrelated to USLGX but I wanted to share this: I made all my forwarders from WiiXplorer source and I don't know why, they never worked with GenPlusGX. Trying for anything that could work for both SD and USB (and I tried A LOT), I compiled FIX94's forwarders with meta.xml support (also based on WiiXplorer v12 source) and the no_args variant worked with GPGX!

EDIT: Sent a DM to you, @XFlak!

Last edited by jacksonf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr