Homebrew USB Loader GX White Screen. Wii Mini.

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got homebrew set up on my Wii Mini and installed the required cIOS files. I used Wii Backup Manager to set up all the files correctly. My USB drive was formatted to FAT32. However when I boot USB Loader GX up, it shows a white screen and I can't do anything except move my pointer. I can't even go back to the Homebrew Channel. I'm forced to turn the system off. Any ideas of what went wrong?

1685821821094.png

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version of the loader are you using?

Someone had this exact issue a few days ago and despite trying other USB loaders they couldn't get it to work. So it's likely caused by a USB (flash drive?) compatibility issue.
I'm not sure. I downloaded it from the Wii Hacks Guide Website.

Update: It's the most recent version. 3.0 r1281

Last edited by Gallaer,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure. I downloaded it from the Wii Hacks Guide Website.
That'll likely be r1281 then. It'll say in the bottom left corner as the loader boots.

If you've got another USB storage device then I'd recommend trying that. Otherwise you should try using WiiFlow or CFG loader to confirm if both of them also fail to boot or play Wii games.

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'll likely be r1281 then. It'll say in the bottom left corner as the loader boots.

If you've got another USB storage device then I'd recommend trying that. Otherwise you should try using WiiFlow or CFG loader to confirm if both of them also fail to boot or play Wii games.
Wiiflow is loading infinitely and CFG loader didn't show up.
Post automatically merged:

I just installed r1272 to see what would happen and it works.

Last edited by Gallaer,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just installed r1272 to see what would happen and it works.
USB Loader GX r1272 uses IOS58 for everything by default, so you might be able to upgrade to r1281 now that you've successfully booted once. Just replace the DOL file and leave the meta.xml file alone.

If r1281 still doesn't work then I'd be curious to know if my previous release does.

I edited this post because I remembered that r1272 is the only version of the loader that exclusively uses IOS58.
  • r1271 uses cIOS 249 for everything
  • r1272 uses IOS58 for everything (and this causes issues)
  • r1272 mod uses IOS58 to read your config files and then it reloads to your preferred cIOS
  • r1280+ behaves the same as r1272 mod

Last edited by blackb0x,

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB Loader GX r1272 uses IOS58 for everything by default, so you might be able to upgrade to r1281 now that you've successfully booted once. Just replace the DOL file and leave the meta.xml file alone.

If r1281 still doesn't work then I'd be curious to know if my previous release does.
Just tried your first suggestion and it was still a white screen. So I went to delete it and replace it with your older version but the folder ended up as this. It was completely corrupted so I had to format it. I thankfully have a backup. Going to try the older release next.

1685850302888.png

Post automatically merged:

Update: Just checked the older version without changing anything. It was also a white screen.

Last edited by Gallaer,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was completely corrupted so I had to format it. I thankfully have a backup. Going to try the older release next.
Sorry about that. This stuff can be unpredictable, but it seems like if a cIOS is used to read and write to your flash drive then it locks up.

Update: Just checked the older version without changing anything. It was also a white screen.
Thanks for trying. I'm happy to know that it wasn't a recent change that broke things at least. And it's not like the other USB loaders work either.

If you'd be willing, could you try using r1271? It's considered more stable than r1272, which is why SourceForge will download that version if you click on the green download button.

If you do try r1271 you should delete the usbloader_gx folder before you copy everything over. That way the loader will use it's default settings and it'll be easier to determine if booting with a cIOS is the issue.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about that. This stuff can be unpredictable, but it seems like if a cIOS is used to read and write to your flash drive then it locks up.

Thanks for trying. I'm happy to know that it wasn't a recent change that broke things at least. And it's not like the other USB loaders work either.

If you'd be willing, could you try using r1271? It's considered more stable than r1272, which is why SourceForge will download that version if you click on the green download button.

If you do try r1271 you should delete the usbloader_gx folder before you copy everything over. That way the loader will use it's default settings and it'll be easier to determine if booting with a cIOS is the issue.
Using r1271 it froze at "Loading Config Files"
Using r1272 which is the working version when loading games has a chance to result in a black screen. Also no box art appears even though it was all set up properly using Wii Backup Manager

Update: I just noticed 1271 corrupted the drive again.
1685909807226.png

Last edited by Gallaer,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the cIOS can read the contents of your flash drive, but if it writes anything to it then it corrupts it. So using r1272 will work around that issue, but it'll be janky.

If you purchase a HDD enclosure and put an old laptop HDD into it then things might function correctly, although game compatibility will be worse because you're currently limited to using 1 base IOS instead of 3-4 like on a normal Wii.

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you purchase a HDD enclosure and put an old laptop HDD into it then things might function correctly, although game compatibility will be worse because you're currently limited to using 1 base IOS instead of 3-4 like on a normal Wii.
Can you explain in simpler terms?

Also. If I would to restore the SD card, Component and Wifi and restore the default Wii Menu and all of its settings, does the Wii Mini get the 3-4 like the Wii does?

Last edited by Gallaer,

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you explain in simpler terms?
When a Wii game boots it'll normally reload to a specific IOS. So for example, Call Of Duty Black Ops will use IOS57 and Worms Battle Island will use IOS56. So a cIOS will use these IOS as bases and a normal Wii has access to a wide range of them, but the Wii Mini only has access to one. So something like Worms Battle Island won't be playable for you.

Here's an incomplete list of known problematic games.

Also. If I would to restore the SD card, Component and Wifi and restore the default Wii Menu and all of its settings, does the Wii Mini get the 3-4 like the Wii does?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Maybe with everything added and the correct IOS installed you could then install the d2x cIOS instead of d2xl 🤔 Personally I wouldn't bother though, since you risk bricking the console and it's cheaper to buy a normal Wii that might have boot2 brick protection and the ability to play DVDs (depending on the model).

Last edited by blackb0x,

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a Wii game boots it'll normally reload to a specific IOS. So for example, Call Of Duty Black Ops will use IOS57 and Worms Battle Island will use IOS56. So a cIOS will use these IOS as bases and a normal Wii has access to a wide range of them, but the Wii Mini only has access to one. So something like Worms Battle Island won't be playable for you.

Here's an incomplete list of known problematic games.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Maybe with everything added and the correct IOS installed you could then install the d2x cIOS instead of d2xl 🤔 Personally I wouldn't bother though, since you risk bricking the console and it's cheaper to buy a normal Wii that might have boot2 brick protection and the ability to play DVDs (depending on the model).
I'd have access to Boot2 when I get at least the SD Card + Reset Mod in. Also I genuinely don't like the original model wiis

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd have access to Boot2 when I get at least the SD Card + Reset Mod in. Also I genuinely don't like the original model wiis
Only early Wii models can have BootMii as boot2 and the ability to play DVDs. So something like a black Wii with GameCube ports normally wouldn't support either of them things.

I can't recommend modding the Wii mini to that extent, since there's just too many unknowns and I wouldn't want you to waste money on it. Of course it's ultimately up to you, but I still think you'd be better off purchasing a normal Wii and case modding that or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up