Hacking USB Loader GX + VWii problem

Nickeleye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I successfully performed the softmod of adding the homebrew channel to my vwii on my Wii U the other night. I was then able to run the Nintendont app and get my gamecube backups working. I softmodded my Wii before and had USB Loader GX running on that with my Wii and GC games just fine. I thought I'd install USB Loader GX on my Wii U. Tonight I learned to run USB loaders, I'd have to first change the vWii cIOS settings. I followed a youtube tutorial on how to do this and everything seemed fine. I tried a couple games and everything seemed normal until I tried my backup of Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. The game booted with a black screen and a crazy green line and then eventually changed to the progressive scan selection and warning screen that was all garbled. This never happened when I only tried using Nintendont the night before without changing the cIOS options. I was able to play with the Nintendont video options, which made the strange garbled video go away, but then the game would always want to display in 16:9 even if I had all widescreen options disabled for the loader and tried to force 4:3.

I have no idea if the changes in cIOS settings is what made this happen, but now I'm regretting even messing with it. After further research tonight, it looks like I can't even revert these settings back even though I did perform a nand backup prior to changing the cIOS settings.

Does anybody have any suggestions on something I may be missing to make the existing configuration work normally or to somehow revert my settings back to how they were pre-cIOS changes? All I was hoping to do is being able to have my GC and Wii games run off my external HD for convenience sake. Maybe was asking for too much...

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
I followed this video exactly for Wii U. I downloaded the vWii cIOS apps and Nintendont from the links below.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n2zl8v5kn288j9d/vWii_cIOS_apps_20131218.zip
https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/

So its probably not an incorrect cIOS, although that was obvious from the fact that stuff was launching.

Have you tried restoring all settings to default. If other games are launching fine, then twilight princess seems to be the problem.
What region is your console, what region are your games, what region is twilight princess.

Nickeleye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't gotten around to trying to reset all settings. However, I don't recall seeing an option like that in the Nintendont stand-alone launcher... It's just weird because the problem was happening regardless of if I used USB Loader GX or Nintendont by itself. My system is a North America NTSC unit and all of my games are backed up from my personal collection of NA NTSC games as well. There shouldn't be any weird issues related to region.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah ok, I misread your initial post. You said oyu had done it previously on your Wii, and the games worked. I read it as you had tested other games on your vWii and the only game that didnt work was twilight princess.

What I would suggest, is checking this guide, see if you followed the process the same way http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/, although you probably did. Im not sure what you did, but I honestly cant think of anything that would be doing this besides cIOS.

Also, did you say that Nintendont also fucks up? Because that doesnt use cIOS at all, so in that case, cIOS wouldnt be an issue

Maybe try pluggin your HDD and SD into your wii and playing a game? Maybe its an HDD problem? Is it a self powered HDD? Do you have a Y cable?

Last edited by EmceeKerser,

Nickeleye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should say I've been running everything of SD card for now. I discovered on Thursday night the external hard drive I was using with USB Loader GX on my Wii was not being read by the Wii U. Then I learned about requiring a Y adapter so I ordered one off Amazon the other day and it should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I'd been doing all my Wii U testing via SD card. It shouldn't be a problem with the SD since it was working normally on Thursday when I first installed home-brew on Wii U and played some games directly through Nintendont.

Thanks for pointing out that Nintendont directly doesn't use cIOS. That does seem really strange why I have the issue still when trying to use Twilight Princess GC directly without USB Loader GX.

I think I will pick up another SD card specifically for the Wii U and leave my Wii configuration alone instead of swapping things back and forth etc. I spent a bunch of time late last night getting my Wii stuff back to the way it was and I'd really rather not screw with that much more. I've got my Wii connected to a 27" Sony CRT so that still works well. I was just thinking it would also be cool to have access to backed up GC and Wii games on my HDTV via Wii U - It's pretty convenient. It also doesn't look too bad either. I think the GC games look better through Wii U than when I connect my hacked Wii to the same HDTV via component cable... CRT seems a bit better though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ohhh can we use AI to crack passwords faster?