Hacking USB Loader GX: Stuck on Initializing USB device

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
update:

due to stupidity, I erased my sd card contains my homebrew so I used default settings

I think I finally found the culprit: IOS 249 (the default setting). for some reason the hdd loads just fine when I chose IOS58. I am using toshiba (USB 3.0 HDD).

however super mario galaxy doesn't load. sigh. I need to figure this out.

now I have another problem, USB loader GX prompts me to set my main gamecube path to an usb fat32 partition which I have done it, but I just cannot start a gamecube game. what do I miss here? This didn't happen before.

148kxu.jpg

Last edited by eriol33,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you still have the prompt, then something is wrong on your partition.
the solution is in the message, and it's usually not just "use FAT32", there are other keyword in what you have to do.

Maybe it asks you to use MBR or primary ?
nintendont is now compatible with GPT, so I made a new USBLoderGX version without the error message when using GPT.

Reactions: eriol33

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi cyan, you are right. there is a prompt to set it as the first primary fat 32 partition. but I am not sure what does that mean.

2r3xkdh.jpg

EDIT: I just used minitool partition wizard, and noticed it's logical. now I am converting it to primary

EDIT 2: the prompt is gone. now I am asked to put boot.dol on my nintedont folder *bang head to walls*. I swear the file is there.

EDIT 3: change the path to custom path. it finally works *long sigh*

thank you for all of your help cyan! I think I will just use separate harddisk for playing wii and gc games.

Last edited by eriol33,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, you could have used the version I linked above, it also let you launch nintendont from a logical partition (nintendont added both gpt and logical support).
Sorry I didn't tell you at the same time.

I guess I should release that new version as r1262, nobody reported issues with it. but I don't know how many users tested it.

Phredman98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tried everything in this thread (changing loader ios to 58) and, after turning on mount usb at launch, it finally works! I used to have to unplug and plug back in my hdd but now I dont have to. But now once I choose a wii game to play it blackscreens and sends me back to the wii menu without any error message.

Reactions: eriol33

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
glad it could help you as well!

unfortunately, my toshiba go is not compatible with wii games for whatever version. but my samsung hdd does so my only tips is to change different hard drives.

I tried to change the games IOS into 58 but somehow it isn't there so I use IOS 249. maybe if we can set ios 58 as the game ios, it can help? but is it possible?

Last edited by eriol33,

Phredman98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glad it could help you as well!

unfortunately, my toshiba go is not compatible with wii games for whatever version. but my samsung hdd does so my only tips is to change different hard drives.

I would but before changing the ios to 58 it was on 249 (which made me have to unplug and plug in the hdd) the wii games would play, so I don't think it's the hdd.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's not possible to use the official IOS when playing a game from USB, because the IOS does not have redirection function to load disc from USB.
That's the point of cIOS, the disc access is patched to allow redirection to SD or USB.

what you can do is install a cIOS with base 58, it should still use the official USB2.0 (ehci) driver from IOS58 instead of the one added in other cIOS when using a base without USB2.0 support natively.
Be aware that IOS58 as base is not very compatible with games and can either freeze or just black screen at launch.

war1o1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to rehash this thread, but I am having a very similar issue to this. When I use ustealth on the drive I get this error, and can solve it by letting the usb loader to get to the waiting for hard drive screen and plugging it in then. However if I don't use ustealth I have no issues at all. I am using this, Seagate Expansion 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA2000400), hard drive.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems with USB Loader Gx ver 3.0 Rev.1262 getting stuck at "Loading... Initialize USB device" screen as well.

The last thing I did was try to run my first Wii backup of Xenoblade Chronicles which resulted in a black screen with error failure to load disc message. Nintendont games were working fine up to the moment.

I have a LACIE rugged Mini 1TB drive with a y cable and it works fine, still recognized by Nintendont and all other apps.

Can somebody please point out what is the best cIOS to have at this moment and also an app that can show me which ones I currently have installed on the vWii?

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was having this new USB drive hang and get stuck at the same screen at others. Long story short, turns out that this USB just doesn't like this Wii. Other USB drives worked fine.

I know it's an old thread but I found this thread while Googling how to solve the issue. So if someone else comes across this, try a different drive.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's often due to the enclosure than the drive itself.
all USB drives have actually an interface to convert USB to (S)ATA internally, you don't see it but it's in the drive's case.

That USB to SATA interface is the one responsible for the compatibility. it's the one providing the driver to windows for automatic install, etc.
of course, it can't provide an automatic driver for the Wii.

You have to test another external HDD, or if you know what you are doing another enclosure for that drive.

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's just a 16gb USB drive in my case. I got it working with some formatting utilities. I think what got it working again was diskpart's clean command. Then formatting again.

Thanks for the help.

jameswd26

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having this same issue and I've done every method I can find on the internet and none of them have worked!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm having this same issue and i can't find any way at all to solve it

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reactions: Alexander1970

Bpergher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I also have this problem of freezing in the "initializing usb device" with my HDD.
I couldn't take this anymore from having to restart the Wii every time I wanted to switch games.
It was solved for me when I installed the Wiiflow v.4.2.3 loader. It was the only loader that worked for me.
I hope this can help more people.
NOTE: Here for the games to run on this Wiiflow v4.2.3 I had to change the configuration of each one to run with IOS 251.
Sorry for my English (Google Translate).

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo