Hacking USB Loader GX stopped detecting SD card confusing problem

AshB90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey this is really racking my brain, Today my SD card randomly decided to commit suicide and corrupt its self while i was testing gamecube backups. I reset the Wii as normal while a cube game was running and then the memory card was completely dead and just prompted in windows for me to format, so with much reluctance I formatted it. I then had a backup of my old 512MB SD card which i copied the content onto my 16GB card (the problematic one) This 512MB was what i originally installed and had USB loader running from and working fine. So what i did was repeat the same, and copy the 512 SD data onto my newly reformatted 16GB but now USB loader is giving me hell, It takes forever at startup (initializing SD) takes around 30 seconds instead of the previous 2 seconds. It also takes long on (reloading ios 247)

It seems USBloader for whatever reason is refusing to access the memory card? none of the settings i change save and all the file paths seem screwed up (usb8:/) where im pretty sure thats suppose to be an SD path as my drive is WBFS. Also when i try to change the paths under custom paths I just get the prompt screen "error"

Also the box art downloader does not work just says "cannot create directory usb8:/config/images/etc"

Now games run providing i set the settings manually, gamecube games no longer show up obviously as they are on the SD card. I dont understand what has happend here its really confusing me.

I have deleted the GlobalCFG file or whatever its titled in the Apps/USBloader folder on the SD card: still the same, I have completely deleted the usb loader directory then reinstalled it: still the same

Tryed running from homebrew browser and forwarder.
My USB loader was working flawlessly before the SD card raped its self.I had every game i installed from every region working and gamecube working without issue

I use CIOS slot 247

Im currently back on USBLoaderGX v3.0
i also have the DOL file for r1208 which i was using and working perfectly fine before SD blowup.

I post this in a real hope that User Cyan will reply, as i have been browsing the forum and seen he gives good well written advice, but this problem I feel is quite unique and its really stressing me out.
Do problems sometimes occur when changing SD? It was fine when i went from 512mb to 16gb but now its just seemed to have created problems out of nothing.

Obviously there was more on the SD card before the format than there is now as i could only restore my older stuff from the 512 backup but USB loader was functioning on that setup and CIOS etc are installed, does DIOS MIOS cause any problems does it install anything to SD card, I assumed all would be fine regarding CIOS DIOS MIOS IOS stuff because they save to the wii not SD.

My SD is formatted FAT32 with 32 allocation unit.
Should i try and format again? is it possible that something is causing problems with the way i formatted?

This is so frustrating because everything was working perfect before.
Thanks all help would be hugely appreciated.

AshB90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PROBLEM SOLVED I reformatted the SD card using Panasonic tool, This is a real obscure fix because the SD card in its ill state was managing to load PS1 roms and all sorts yet USBloader was having none of it, Oh well lesson learnt, lost about 3 years from the amount of stress during the last 3 hours, but hey.

AshB90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ill add one more question anyway, the cause of all this... will the sd card be reading writing constantly, will it be "writing" at all during a cube game running because I read something about the main directory and the sd directory if both the same some runtime game data or something writes to the sd, ofcorse if resetting the console during this time it caused a corruption of the SD, because data was not properly allocated I guess. Am I right in this theory?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It shouldn't write to SD card while playing, unless there's a "debug log to SD" enabled. It's usually disabled on public releases, it uses only USBgecko or Wifi.

What could write to SD card is NMM option, to emulate the save card. but it shouldn't access it without notifying you (going into the save menu, or having games with auto-save usually display a visual notification that the card is accessed and you shouldn't shut down the console, etc.)

AshB90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, it happend again lol. It was running Wind Waker, NMM worked fine with wind waker but when I went to turn it off I pressed the reset button because thats what i usually do on cube games, but it froze wii led green. So i held down the power button, after this the SD was corrupted again, I dont have the debug feature on or anything. Why is it writing and screwing up the partition table, Ive found a quick restore fix with a program called testdisk, so it is no longer a problem repairing the SD content and nothing needs reformatting just the table needed repairing an entry was missing the end entry for the partiton or something, I'm pretty stumped.... perhaps just a power off would work? but something telling me theres a feature that WW utilizes thats screwing me? streaming?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's no "written streaming", if there's a streaming in a game it's only in read mode.
the only writting which could happens is the save file, and I don't know games saving continuously to a Flash based memory card (it would kill it).

Does it happens every time you press reset? only with WindWaker? only with NMM enabled or even when disabled?

Try to enable the PADHook setting, and use the button combination to reset/shutdown the console.

Restart : R+z+Start (return to HBC/loader)
Shutdown : R+z+B+Down

AshB90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the 1st instance you know im not sure because at that point i didnt have a cube pad, but i think it was Zelda and it did do the same thing, reset, freeze, hold power button.
Im yet to try Zelda again with a power button press, NMM was disabled on the 1st instance and enabled on the 2nd. :/

Ok ill try the PADHook and report back, cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)