Hacking USB Loader GX Gamecube game loading issues

ZachAttax64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a hard drive case so now I can get rid of my barely functioning 32 gb flash drive (this one has 2 100 gb partitions). I formatted both partitions to fat32 32 clusters, and when I try to load gamecube games it always ends up on a black screen forever. Dios Mios is installed, and my old flash drives are all set up like this one. I used EaseUS to format my drive. Please! I need help on what I'm doing wrong with my hard drive :(

tahsin tariq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
are you loading directly using Dios Mios or are you loading using USB loader GX. Are you loading from SD or USB? Are you usin DIos Mios Lite or just Dios Mios? Dios Mios Lite loades from SD while Dios Mios (not lite) loads from USB. You can only have one installed at a time as installing one overwrites the other.

tahsin tariq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
When using USB loader GX I solved the black screen for wii games. It may be the same for gamecube games. This is the solution --- When you select the game you should arrive at a channel where there are two buttons - start and settings. Go to settings, there should be some load options where there are some things like Vidtv patch and game language. By default they should be set to global. Change the VidTv patch to on, then try. If that doesn't work then load again with Game language set to a something other than global ( like English). This works for some wii games.
If it still does not work then maybe you try changing other options.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's a possibility.

How big is your hard drive?
is it a recent one, or an old one? (recently bought drives are problematic due to hardware characteristics)

Note : If you are using latest revision of the loader (r1214) and it doesn't warn you about something wrong with your drive, then it's correctly setup:
512Byte per sector, FAT32, 32k cluster or less, first partition of the device, primary, mbr.
If all this is fine, the loader accept to launch the game and you still have a black screen it probably means that your Drive is not compatible with DIOS MIOS. Not all HDD are compatible.

@tahsin :
The gameCube blackscreen is a different problem.
It means that DIOS MIOS couldn't mount the external drive's partition.

ZachAttax64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This hard drive has 2 partitions that are both around 100 gb each (as I stated in my original post). It's kind of old, because this was taken out of my old laptop so its definitely not up to date or anything.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, so it's a 200GB drive.
You told it had 2x100GB, but didn't tell if all the drive was partitioned ;)

the drive is in Port 0 ? (the one near the edge, if it's in Port 1 then drive initialization is longer).

Edit:
If it's taken out of your laptop, it's an IDE/Sata, not USB.
So you probably are using an enclosure to convert to USB.
The enclosure is probably the culprit here.

ZachAttax64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me go ahead and try this again and see if anything people have said will work.
It is in Port 0, that's where I've always had it
Oh, so my enclosure is bad for this? what would you recommend then?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you don't have another enclosure to test, I don't think there's a lot you can do with this drive.
You should test with another HDD, just to be sure the enclosure is the problem. if you can, test another enclosure.

The HDD need to have 512Bytes per sector. this is the problem with new drives which comes with 4096Bytes per sector now. If you buy a new one, it's best to use a known working drives, with smaller HDD capacity (external USB2.0 HDD 250-320GB from WD or seagate are working, though seagate have random blackscreen problem), you'll have more chance to get an old drive with 512B/sector. But I can't guarantee it 100%, you'll have to test if it's not written on the HDD packaging/specs.

You can also try with Flash drives/Ipods/etc. instead of HDD :)

There's always the choice to buy a 32GB SD Card, it will have plenty of spaces for gameCube games.

ZachAttax64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current hdd I have loads wii games, and I have some 4 gb flash drives that load game cube games. So, since I know the problem, and I have other flash drives that work with those gc games, I think I'm fine. Thanks for helping me find out my problem Cyan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1