Hacking Usb Loader GX can't save to emunand

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed soft-modded my Wii U's vWii mode using the guide stickied in this section. Everything is working great except I can't seem to get any games to save or load from the emunand. I've changed the Loader Settings:

Nand Saves Emulation -> Full
Nand Chan. Emulation -> Full

However, when I try to play a game and save it goes to the real nand. I'm using the latest revision of Usb Loader GX (r1228 I believe)... What am I doing wrong?

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have the the path to it set up right?

EDIT

Made sure your Nand folder that you made is in the root directory and when in loader go to Nand Saves Emulation and change to full and Nand Channel Emulation and change to full

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set the path to the nand to a folder on my USB and another folder inside that one for the channels. Everything looks to be set up correctly in terms of paths. I'm also loading my games from USB. Would this present a problem?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
subfolder works fine with d2x cIOS.
It require to be on the root only for sneek or cIOS rev17-19

The "EmuNAND Save" option is used for Wii games and channels launched from RealNAND. It will save to "EmuNAND save path" set in the settings.
Partial: Read/write save file to EmuNAND.
Full: Read/write save file, but also Mii, Settings, Wiimote settings etc. to EmuNAND.

The "EmuNAND Channel" option is used for Channels launched from EmuNAND. It should always be set to Full. I will remove the Partial setting in few revision as it's confusing.

I don't know why it still save to your real NAND. Without a proper test and debugging it's hard to understand what's wrong.
You could check if the issue is the device you are using (try to USB if you tested SD for example). But I think it shouldn't save to real NAND at all if it's set to full, either it's working or you should have an error in the game telling you have a system file error.

Could you check on wii ? or do you have only WiiU?

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the game I'm using isn't launched from RealNAND. It's launched from USB, but I think that's what you mean anyway.

I can test it on my Wii but I don't have access to it at the moment. I'll probably test it tomorrow.

I am also curious as to why my homebrew apps show up twice (each page has 4 apps, 2 of which are duplicates)... It's kind of strange. I tried loading Savegame Manager GX from the homebrew launcher and it froze as well. A lot of really strange things. Is the most recent rev unstable?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Duplicates in USBLoaderGX are normal because it's listing all .dol files, not only boot.dol.
I don't remember if it also list elf files, so if you have both dol and elf, you could see them twice in the list.

The most recent revisions are stable (1225 and up).
I didn't get any critical bug reports, most features should work fine.

When you launch a homebrew, it's reloading to IOS58 and patching it to provide AHB access to that homebrew.
You could try to use IOS58 inside the loader instead of 249 to see if it fix the issue when launching homebrew (it will not reload/repatch the IOS if it's already loaded).
Settings > Loader Settings > Loader's IOS: 58, then reboot the loader.

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duplicates in USBLoaderGX are normal because it's listing all .dol files, not only boot.dol.
I don't remember if it also list elf files, so if you have both dol and elf, you could see them twice in the list.

I double checked and there aren't any more .dol files. There is only one per application and there are no .elf files. Still not sure why there are duplicate applications showing up.

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to fix my emunand saving problems. Essentially, the problem I was having with emulators not finding my external hard drive was due to the way it was formatted (extra random empty partitions, the fat32 partition wasn't 32kb cluster or primary, and it was not mbr formatted). I fixed my formatting problems and emunand saving seems to work as well as all the other problems I was having.

Except: each homebrew application is still showing up 2 times in the homebrew loader. :-/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for giving updates on your issue.

I didn't check/work on the homebrew browser yet.
it's not a big issue to have duplicated entries in the list, so for the moment I won't give it priority.
For homebrew, I guess using the HBC is a better idea than launching USBGX to launch another homebrew, unless you auto-boot USBGX at console boot.

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think there was a way to do this on Wii U. :-/

Also, are there any plans to implement neek2o into USB Loader GX anytime soon? It's pretty much the last hurrah for Wii U owners because unless they want to install the emunand incompatible wads onto their actual nand, there's no easy way to play them.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the Cios:236/250/251 installed with the correct bases. If not, that may cause the system to write the files to incorrect DIR. Cios's are required in-order for the system to write/read/copy/move/etc files, and run/debug software, basically its a giant book of instructions for each app using them.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah yes, you are on WiiU!
I didn't check the forum's section. Reading too much threads at once is confusing lol

Neek2o:
Anytime : yes, is planed
Soon : I don't know.
It will depend the time I got to read how it works, implement it, test it.
I will be in holidays 15-30 august, so maybe I'll work on it.

solarsaturn9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah yes, you are on WiiU!
I didn't check the forum's section. Reading too much threads at once is confusing lol

Neek2o:
Anytime : yes, is planed
Soon : I don't know.
It will depend the time I got to read how it works, implement it, test it.
I will be in holidays 15-30 august, so maybe I'll work on it.

Please don't rush on my account or anything! Definitely relax on your holiday!
It's nice to know that it's in the works though. Thanks for working so hard on such a great project and thanks for all of your help! :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"so hard" is probably not the best word :P
I work on it irregularly, sometime I don't touch homebrew for few weeks (I'm playing games instead, lol!).
And when I start doing something easy, I continue working on it. I didn't code something really hard since 3.0.
The harder for me will probably be the new tab system I plan (probably for 4.0)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking