Hacking USB Loader adding via wifi

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Waninkoko hasn't implemented it because he thinks its slow, which it kind of is. But no one has tested adding ISOs through SMB sharing yet. SMB usually reaches much faster speeds in Wii homebrew apps.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to make a statement, then say what you want to say, smart guy. Don't say "I agree" when you're not actually agreeing.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oh yes let's turn this thread into a nub-flame one >< NOT

he didn't say who he agreed with, context-wise he would agree with waninkoko's POV that it's slow. get over it
tongue.gif

anyhoo, it will always be a lot slower than just pluggin in yer HD so will prolly never happen

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
802.11g is too slow? You realize that's how most people are connected to the Internet these days, right. I use the same connection to transfer Xbox games, and it beats the hell out of disconnecting the drive and carrying it to the PC every time. Not to mention that it's not good for the drive.

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Knocks said:
802.11g is too slow? You realize that's how most people are connected to the Internet these days, right. I use the same connection to transfer Xbox games, and it beats the hell out of disconnecting the drive and carrying it to the PC every time. Not to mention that it's not good for the drive.
except the wii is 802.11b.

MightyMouse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well for one, i have a xbox1 also and have a X3 modchip and use XBMC and it might be bad for the hdd if its INTERNAL like the xbox hdd is. and i use Qwix for that.

But the Wii is using hdd via USB the idea of usb been ermm removable lol

MightyMouse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the wii is 802.11b/g actually i believe...which is 54mbps in perfect conditions and range..which doesnt exist outside the lab, like they say in theory WifiN can hit like 400metres, dude i've got wifiN trust me it NEVER hits 400metres i've tested it lol yes i am that sad

pluggin your drive in a using one of the managers is blatantly quicker.

can a mod end this thread please we can all see the direction its going in man lol

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Knocks said:
802.11g is too slow? You realize that's how most people are connected to the Internet these days, right.

I dont say this much , but your wrong.

People connect to their local router using 802.11g if they have wireless - they connect to the internet using pppoe or an alternative system which is quite a lot slower in general than the speeds of Wireless G.

And yes 802.11g is a lot slower than a direct connection to a Drive, and im not sure how you worked out that plugging an external drive in and out of a device is bad for it ?? I never saw the report on that.

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't read the whole thing, but FTP/802.11 is how I get my games on my PS2 and it's definitely bearable. Sure it's slower but it also means I don't have to walk up and unplug the HD from the console, although it is much easier on the Wii of course. Given this convenience, I'm all for adding this functionality.

But this would mean for Waninkoko to come up with both the server AND client-side apps, which is no small feat, but under it all is no more than a TCP/IP server-side listening thread and a client app pushing the data to the function that "rips" DVDs. However, to increase throughput efficiency, the disc should be scrubbed client side before being pushed over the connection.

I've done many client-server TCP/IP apps in my years as a programmer so if anyone is seriously working on this, PM me if you need an extra hand. I just don't know much about Wii homebrew at the moment but I'd love to leave my mark through network programming advice.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
denpanosekai said:
But this would mean for Waninkoko to come up with both the server AND client-side apps, which is no small feat, but under it all is no more than a TCP/IP server-side listening thread and a client app pushing the data to the function that "rips" DVDs. However, to increase throughput efficiency, the disc should be scrubbed client side before being pushed over the connection.

I've done many client-server TCP/IP apps in my years as a programmer so if anyone is seriously working on this, PM me if you need an extra hand. I just don't know much about Wii homebrew at the moment but I'd love to leave my mark through network programming advice.

That's the spirit now
smile.gif
. There is actually no need for a server-side app if you're using SMB. Because SMB sharing is automatic in Windows, the Loader just needs to access the shared SMB directory. There is an open-source library at wiibrew.org called tinysmb. Mplayer and Snes9x use it to stream video and access roms. Link.

I agree about the scrubbing. The loader would need to retrieve a TOC from the iso in the SMB directory and then only transfer the files it needs, which I believe it already does.

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, tinysmb is nice, especially since it's only one line of code to initialize and BOOM you've got the network connection up and running. It still involves setting up a client-side share (no idea how that works on Mac) but that is definitely the easiest solution. I guess my experience was not needed after all
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455