Hacking USB keeps deleting WBFS folder contents

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a cheap 1TB USB to replace my smaller one that I use to play Gamecube games off of the Wiiflow channel on my Wii. (I know, HDDs are ideal, but for now I'm just making do.)
This time, I'd like to also put my Wii games on it as well. As it is I just play my Wii games off the SD card which can't hold that many.

It's been a while since I messed with any of this 1337 H@CK3RZ stuff and I didn't leave myself the best notes behind, but I thought it was simple enough anyway. I opened up EaseUS to format the new USB to FAT32 with 32 sectors since I saw that's how the old one was.

Transferred my Gamecube and Wii games, plugged it in, turned the Wii on and started Wiiflow. Saw my GC games were there (and playable! :D), but my Wii games were not. I soon realized the USB itself was just missing the entire folder, it was converted to just a "file" file type of the same name wbfs.

So I experimented. Made a new wbfs folder, put the Wii games in, unplugged and plugged in the USB to my PC to see everything in the wbfs folder is gone.
Did it again but only the smallest game Kiwi, gone.
Did it again, just a folder named "Test", an image, and a text file named "Test", gone.
Created another folder in the root of the drive named "Test" and put the same image and such in it, everything but the parent folder gone again. So I now realize the USB is just hating on any new stuff... Why?

The GC games and other things I put on the drive are still all there. But now the drive is erasing everything else I put on it...
Anything else I should check or tweak? I saw all the folders in the drive are set to "Read only" but I'm not sure if that has anything to do wit it. If I should reformat the drive again, what should I do differently?

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cord? USBs don't have cords, I must be misunderstanding you...
Yes, I'm "safely removing/ejecting" it each and every time. Don't need any corruption problems!

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cord? USBs don't have cords, I must be misunderstanding you...
Yes, I'm "safely removing/ejecting" it each and every time. Don't need any corruption problems!
Blanked on that to be honest. You can use this program "H2testw" to test if the usb drive is legitimately what it says it is and functioning. Most deals on memory cards and the like that seem to good to be true are

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blanked on that to be honest. You can use this program "H2testw" to test if the usb drive is legitimately what it says it is and functioning. Most deals on memory cards and the like that seem to good to be true are
Haha that's okay, 'sbeen a long week. Alright, perfect! I'll see what it says and report back. ^^

Yeah the offer seemed iffy to me too, but 20$ seems a small price to pay for a desperate fool. :'P
At least it's made up its price in that I can play all my GC games at once now. But if it ends up not working altogether then ah well, I'll just pretend I wasted 20 on a meal or something.

Reactions: Mythical

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
14.5 hours, 22 hours left for H2testw to finish. I'll be sure to report tomorrow.

But uh I just impulse bought a 500GB Seagate Expansion HDD off Ebay for $25... ._.
Wish I woulda thought to look for HDDs off Ebay first, but oh well I guess...

I just thought, sooner or later I'm going to need an HDD either way, whether it's because of this cheap USB dying now, or I find out it lags too much or whatever on bigger games. I shoulda did the sensible thing first.

According to the Compatibility List most Seagates work just great, so I have a good feeling about this one.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
14.5 hours, 22 hours left for H2testw to finish. I'll be sure to report tomorrow.

But uh I just impulse bought a 500GB Seagate Expansion HDD off Ebay for $25... ._.
Wish I woulda thought to look for HDDs off Ebay first, but oh well I guess...

I just thought, sooner or later I'm going to need an HDD either way, whether it's because of this cheap USB dying now, or I find out it lags too much or whatever on bigger games. I shoulda did the sensible thing first.

According to the Compatibility List most Seagates work just great, so I have a good feeling about this one.
That price seems legit. Especially for a used hdd. To be honest I'd just check amazon, newegg, etc...
also make sure you get a compatible sata cable (I got a great one from amazon basics and it's the only one that hasn't crapped out on me)

Last edited by Mythical,

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That price seems legit. Especially for a used hdd. To be honest I'd just check amazon, newegg, etc...
Right? There was a few even cheaper, but I'd have to bid and wait it out and I just don't feel like that right now, haha.
Everything I saw on Amazon was at least $60 if not near 100 or over (at least for things on the compatibility list). I already hit the splurging limit for my budget, wouldn't be able to do those prices till a couple months from now. And by then I'd probably want to get a PS4 to play Dreams on!

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right? There was a few even cheaper, but I'd have to bid and wait it out and I just don't feel like that right now, haha.
Everything I saw on Amazon was at least $60 if not near 100 or over (at least for things on the compatibility list). I already hit the splurging limit for my budget, wouldn't be able to do those prices till a couple months from now. And by then I'd probably want to get a PS4 to play Dreams on!
Prices are all over the place to be honest. here's a decent hdd and it's on sale. Great company too https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-D...11&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Reactions: ShoulderMonster

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

Isn't that an internal HDD and you would need a USB adapter for use with Wii?
USB adapter is another cost and compatibility headache.

Seagate Expansion is a portable HDD complete with USB enclosure

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that an internal HDD and you would need a USB adapter for use with Wii?
USB adapter is another cost and compatibility headache.

Seagate Expansion is a portable HDD complete with USB enclosure
I already stated to get a compatible sata cable and listed a seller. What more do you want?

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this:

If you are talking about plain SATA cables for PC, that won't even plug into a Wii
Sorry, are plain SATA cables compatible with the wii?
There are a multitude of SATA cables out there. Obviously I'm talking about the one that can actually plug into the specified console

Last edited by Mythical,

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, it's done writing, now another 25 hours to verify. At this point I'm just curious what it's gonna say since I'm not even going to use this USB anyway.

And yeah, that Amazon listing is both outside my budget and requires other parts which will cost more money. I wouldn't know how to set it up, seems a tad too complicated for my purposes. ^^; But I appreciate the help!

ShoulderMonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the HDD today, created another thread because it too is problematic...
As for the USB, I stopped the verification process because apparently it was going to take well over 200 hours!

Anyway, thank you again, MythicalData, really appreciated the help. ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I'm sorry for not using lube K3Nv2. Really I am. :evil: