Hacking USB interference

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I plug my usb drive into the wii I get wiggley interference lines across the screen.

Is anyone else having this problem?

When the usb device is on:
It only happens on the wii ext, NOT while im watching tv - even though wii and usb are still powered on.

There is no inference when both wii and usb are powered on, but as soon as I plug the usb cable into the wii the interference begins.

Any clues?

tim

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if it's a hdd with an external power supply, the PSU is probably causing the interference. only option is to get another power supply.

magicrat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I had the same problem and posted about it last night. Didn't get much of a response, but I changed to a seperate power point and still didn't happen. Seems to be with powered External Hard Drives but not all are causing the problem. It only happens when the power is ON at the wall. If power is off at the wall, the interference stops. So it is powered interference through the power supply I imagine. I had two of the same brand, RITMO and both did the same thing. Hard Drive used is IDE not SATA not that it should make much difference. Might try getting a different External 3.5" unit.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have tried a different power supply and the problem is the same.

Have tried different plug sockets and still no change.

The problem only occurs when the usb lead is plugged into the back of the Wii. There is no problem when both Wii and USBHD are powered on together. The interference only appears as soon as the usb lead is plugged in.

Posts merged

Have tried a different power supply and the problem is the same.

Have tried different plug sockets and still no change.

The problem only occurs when the usb lead is plugged into the back of the Wii. There is no problem when both Wii and USBHD are powered on together. The interference only appears as soon as the usb lead is plugged in.

neos_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had the exact same problem using a 40gb HDD from an old PC and a cheap ebay style IDE to USB adaptor with power adaptor. The interference would occur as soon as you plug in the usb. Also it was connected to a separate powerpoint.

I have since bought a western digital usb powered 320gb HDD and don't have the problem.

IlluminiX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I concur. I had a cheapo USB Enclosure with LED lights and that caused major wavy lines. I then took the same drive and put it in a slightly better enclosure with no lights and the problem is 98% gone. I can live with the occasional 2% annoyance. The above numbers are estimates - they do not reflect actual real world statistics LOL!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s