USB hub for wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by BobZhome, Nov 5, 2010.

Nov 5, 2010

USB hub for wii by BobZhome at 8:04 PM (2,284 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. BobZhome
    OP

Newcomer BobZhome Member

United States
    I currently have a usb hard-drive & a usb microphone in the back of my Wii, yet Rock Band 3 can have three microphones.
    I take it that I would need a usb hub in order to connect all these usb devices.

Does anyone know of a usb hub that is compatible with the wii accessories and especially a usb hard-drive?

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    You need a self powered USB bub. In other words a USB hub that requires AC adapter. Each USB port consumes power, and Wii's USB port can't supply that much of a power.

3. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    carefully select a hub, I bought one and the AC adapter blew up in my face barely missing my fingers

4. trumpet-205

United States
    That too. Sorry to hear that.

Buy it from Best Buy or Amazon. Be sure to buy a good one, not cheap one.

5. AdamBrunt

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Not sure that's true - the USB hub I am using has both the lan adaptor and 1 microphone attached it - but no ac adaptor - and it and the wii are working fine.

6. trumpet-205

United States
    If you look up at the USB specification, you would know that each USB hub consumes power. USB port can only deliver 500 mA at max.

There are two types of USB hub, bus-powered and self-powered. Bus-powered USB hub is the simple one. Does not need AC adapter. Suitable for low drain devices, such as microphon, LAN adapter, keyboard, mouse.

To overcome power issue, we have self-powered USB hub. Self-powered USB hub in the other hand requires a AC adapter as external power source. It is suitable for hard drive, flash drives, scanners in AIO printer, game accessories.

You should, whenever can, get a self-powered USB hub to ensure each attached device is working properly.